Thread: any news on this years legislature looking into open carry

any news on this years legislature looking into open carry

hey folks,
    been reading this site avidly for about a month now and i was wondering if there was any news pertaining to the house and senate looking into open carry this year, also i have sent an email to a couple of people pertaining to open carry namely, ivester, russ and lucas although i have yet to hear back from any of them.

Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
    Are you a member of our facebook group? www.facebook.com/opencarryok

Angry

just did, i received an e-mail back from todd russ saying how hard it is to change laws and yadda yadda yadda

Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
    Here is news about a bill filed by Senator Russell: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ize-open-carry

KTUL Tulsa news channel 8 did a story promoting it last night.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=36.056812,-95.959283

Where is the law that says open carry isnt already legal under the SDA?

Senator Russell's bill is interesting and all, but what law superseded Title 21, Section 1289.6 "CONDITIONS UNDER WHICH FIREARMS MAY BE CARRIED" in the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act says, "A person SHALL BE PERMITTED to CARRY LOADED or unloaded shotguns, rifles and pistols, OPEN and not concealed, and WITHOUT a handgun license as authorized by the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, Sections 1 through 26 of this act, pursuant to the following conditions:

Item 6. For FOR ANY LEGITIMATE PURPOSE not in violation of the Oklahoma Firearms Act of 1971, Sections 1289.1 through 1289.17 of this title or any legislative enactment regarding the use, ownership and control of firearms."

The police and district attorney's offices all say it's for sure illegal to open carry, but no one I can find can cite the actual law. Perhaps a new open carry law that authorizes something that's already legal must be needed to collect more fees.

Quote Originally Posted by flybeech View Post
    Senator Russell's bill is interesting and all, but what law superseded Title 21, Section 1289.6 "CONDITIONS UNDER WHICH FIREARMS MAY BE CARRIED" in the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act says, "A person SHALL BE PERMITTED to CARRY LOADED or unloaded shotguns, rifles and pistols, OPEN and not concealed, and WITHOUT a handgun license as authorized by the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, Sections 1 through 26 of this act, pursuant to the following conditions:

Item 6. For FOR ANY LEGITIMATE PURPOSE not in violation of the Oklahoma Firearms Act of 1971, Sections 1289.1 through 1289.17 of this title or any legislative enactment regarding the use, ownership and control of firearms."

The police and district attorney's offices all say it's for sure illegal to open carry, but no one I can find can cite the actual law. Perhaps a new open carry law that authorizes something that's already legal must be needed to collect more fees.
    1) 1289.6 is not part of the SDA.
    2) 1272 Makes open carry illegal with certain exceptions
    3) The SDA specifically deals with Concealed Weapons.