• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry in colorado

Beau

And another place to add to my thread on businesses against carrying.
I really can't understand how a business that deals in the 2A can be against the exercise of it.

F350

Thanks for the response Gunslinger. Surprisingly I walked into a local gun store today and was asked to clear my weapon and leave mag and ammo in the truck before I entered the store to buy a new holster.

Newbie here, pardon me for posting before an introduction...

In Missouri I worked at a gun-shop/indoor range for a year; you would not believe the total YO-YOs that come in. We welcomed OC as well as CC, BUT we had a strict policy "No handling of loaded firearms in the showroom". We had the largest selection of holsters within 100 miles and probably in the state, if someone came in wearing a pistol and wanted to look at holsters for it I would hand them a set of muffs and ask they step to an open lane, clear the weapon and return with the slide locked to the rear/cylinder open, I didn't care what they did with mag/ammo. Once I confirmed clear they were free to drop the slide/close the cylinder and look to their hearts content.

I have no way of knowing what their over all attitude on customers carrying is, but asking a customer to clear a handgun they will be handling in the showroom is the only responsible policy to have.

Last edited:

JamesB

Newbie here, pardon me for posting before an introduction...

In Missouri I worked at a gun-shop/indoor range for a year; you would not believe the total YO-YOs that come in. We welcomed OC as well as CC, BUT we had a strict policy "No handling of loaded firearms in the showroom". We had the largest selection of holsters within 100 miles and probably in the state, if someone came in wearing a pistol and wanted to look at holsters for it I would hand them a set of muffs and ask they step to an open lane, clear the weapon and return with the slide locked to the rear/cylinder open, I didn't care what they did with mag/ammo. Once I confirmed clear they were free to drop the slide/close the cylinder and look to their hearts content.

I have no way of knowing what their over all attitude on customers carrying is, but asking a customer to clear a handgun they will be handling in the showroom is the only responsible policy to have.

I was looking for a new holster not long ago. I thought I had found the perfect one at the gun store. So I took the holdter off the shelf and up to the counter where I said "can I take a look at that Glock 23 in the case?"

It was far easier to try the fit of the holster on his gun than pull my matching one out...

M-Taliesin

Howdy Folks!
All this talk about concealed carry vs. open carry got me thinking. While I have a CCW permit, I tend to open carry anyhow. Even had myself a brief interlude open carrying in Denver in close proximity to a Denver LEO who most assurely knew I had a handgun on my hip. He made a remark about it, and must have felt extraordinarily impotent that I didn't flinch while continuing to exercise my 2a rights, along with those guaranteed under the Colorado Constitution.

Anyhow, I'd like to see Colorado... all of it... from them amber waves of grain to them purple mountains majesty, go with constitutional carry like Arizona did. I ain't keen on paying to get permission to exercise my constitutional right! But I digress.... as usual.

I am of the opinion that a concealed carry permit should only be required in a nudist park.
Well... it makes about as much sense!!!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

F350

I was looking for a new holster not long ago. I thought I had found the perfect one at the gun store. So I took the holdter off the shelf and up to the counter where I said "can I take a look at that Glock 23 in the case?"

It was far easier to try the fit of the holster on his gun than pull my matching one out...

Yea we did that too, but even with a good selection we didn't have everything people carried. And some people wanted to go to the holster room and look at multiple holsters and there is no way we were going to allow a new gun out of our sight or be slid in and out of multiple holsters.

F350

Howdy Folks!
All this talk about concealed carry vs. open carry got me thinking. While I have a CCW permit, I tend to open carry anyhow. Even had myself a brief interlude open carrying in Denver in close proximity to a Denver LEO who most assurely knew I had a handgun on my hip. He made a remark about it, and must have felt extraordinarily impotent that I didn't flinch while continuing to exercise my 2a rights, along with those guaranteed under the Colorado Constitution.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

When a shark is sizing up potential prey, they will physically bump into it to gauge the reaction, does it swim away, does it thrash about injured or weak and an easy meal. A BG asking for a cigarette or a light I call a "bump" checking your reaction to see if you are easy prey, the "He made a remark about it" was a LEO bump, checking to see how you reacted, if you had him-hawed in your response I'm sure there would have been further investigation because that would have created RAS and opened the door.

M-Taliesin

When a shark is sizing up potential prey, <snip> further investigation because that would have created RAS and opened the door.

Howdy!
Now that's an interesting way to look at the situation. Years ago, I often thought that cop cars resembled sharks, especially when laying in cover in hopes of an ambush on an unwary motorist.

The "bump", if that's what it was, ended up proving fruitless for the LEO, as I ain't easily intimidated and don't let somebody's opinion turn me all skittish. I figure he was sitting in the bank lobby (in full uniform) on his off duty hours, probably working as part time security for a few extra bucks. In other words, working under color of authority for another party paying him to be window dressing. As such, he was putting himself in a questionable position; If he ain't on the city payroll while doing the bank gig, but being paid by the bank, he's pretty much stuck with enforcing bank policy. That doesn't mean he can't respond to criminal activity, but he didn't have any criminal activity going on. Had he pushed the issue of a citizen open carrying in Denver territory, the next phase would have been a whole bunch of questions from me to him that would have been tough to answer on his part. Such as... "who are you working for? The city or the bank?". Either answer could prove perilous to him. Had he said he was on the city's payroll, I'd have demanded to know why he's lurking around the bank, considering it's a private institution and all. Plus, I'm a member of that particular credit union. "Are you?" Put that way, I am essentially a 'part owner. Ergo, he'd be harassing a member of the institution he's supposedly working for part time. If he answered that he was working a side job for the credit union, then I'd ask why he's wearing a DPD uniform while off the clock... presenting the color of authority where it isn't appropriate. That particular thread gets way more complex and complicated as you tug on that thread and watch it unravel. Denver's ban on open carry is tenuous at best. Sure, the Meier's decision upheld the darn thing, but it can be toppled by somebody with gumption enough (and a healthy bankroll) at higher level's of jurisprudence. (i.e. SCOTUS)

Bottom line, had he bumped a bit more, I'd have bumped back. HARD!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

rushcreek2

Welcome to the Colorado OC cadre, F350 -

I think your "bump" theory is right on target. If I spot an erratic weed that stands out against my well-maintained lawn, I am prone to approach it, bend over, and apply a light tug on the thing. If its root are not well established, and it acts like it is inclined to give some ground - I'll determine to remove the dang thing from my sight by expanding my grip and giving it a serious tug.

I haven't met M-Taliesin in-person , but I suspect from his photo that he projects an image that strongly suggests that he is a part of the landscape by design -having a functional purpose, and a well established root system.

My goal is to endeavor to project a similar image when I venture onto the public "lawn".

F350

Howdy!
Now that's an interesting way to look at the situation. Years ago, I often thought that cop cars resembled sharks, especially when laying in cover in hopes of an ambush on an unwary motorist.

The "bump", if that's what it was, ended up proving fruitless for the LEO, as I ain't easily intimidated and don't let somebody's opinion turn me all skittish. I figure he was sitting in the bank lobby (in full uniform) on his off duty hours, probably working as part time security for a few extra bucks. In other words, working under color of authority for another party paying him to be window dressing....

Bottom line, had he bumped a bit more, I'd have bumped back. HARD!...

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

I hear ya; a few years ago back in Missouri I was OCing in a grocery after work, as I walked in I saw a local cop flirting with the night office gal and grabbed a basket and proceeded to do my shopping. A few minutes later I see him fast marching my way and knew a "bump" was coming, sure enough he comes up to me...

cop} Did you know the hammer on your pistol is cocked back?

me} Yep; it's basically a John M Browning design of 1911 (Para-Ordnance P-14), it's single action and incorporates a grip safety along with a manual thumb safety making cocked and locked the safest way to carry it.

cop] We carry a double action pistol so that's how we handle the safety issue.

me} I know, you are carrying an HK USP 9mm, I work at X (gun shop/indoor rang) and see some of your fellow officers come in to shoot. The problem with a double action semi auto is unless someone regularly practices the double to single action transition they probably can't put the first 2 shots close together enough to be able to touch both holes with one hand. All your officers I see come in always load a mag, chamber a round and commence firing from single action. I'll bet most your officers can't put 2 rounds in the kill zone in 1 second at 21 feet going double to single action, I can put 2 in the 9 ring coming out of the holster in a half second.

cop} OK, have a good night.

I did talk to a couple of the regular shooters from the department and had them try the double to single action transition, they were really surprised to see how hard it was, both missed the black on a B-27 with the second round the first time they tried.

Hamans-gallows

Hi all,
I have what's probably a stupid question. I am new to the whole carry thing and was wondering if you all have a lot of problems with folks or law enforcement open carrying. I've thought about getting my concealed carry permit but for me it's a little hard to shell out 152.50 on top of the 75 I dropped already on the class.

I haven't had the slightest problem OCing in Colorado Springs, and Manitou Springs.

since9

Campaign Veteran
And another place to add to my thread on businesses against carrying.
I really can't understand how a business that deals in the 2A can be against the exercise of it.

When you encounter such businesses, make a note of them in www.friendorfoe.us. It's rapidly becoming the non-forum-specific national database that's well designed and capable of tracking any and all businesses throughout the U.S.

millerkimber1

My story

Howdy Folks!

Anyhow, I'd like to see Colorado... all of it... from them amber waves of grain to them purple mountains majesty, go with constitutional carry like Arizona did. I ain't keen on paying to get permission to exercise my constitutional right! But I digress.... as usual.

I am of the opinion that a concealed carry permit should only be required in a nudist park.
Well... it makes about as much sense!!!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Hey, I was in colorado springs yesterday, and i always open carry, i have a kimber compact cdp .45 1911, and i was in line for my pharmacy, i walked up to the line, and overheard one guy to another say, Holy Crap, he has a gun!!! is that legal, the other guy says, I dont think so i dont think it is legal, And out of no where, a CS PD officer, leans over and says, Colorado is a open carry state, its pefectly legal, in certain areas. He then came to me, and said, thank you for exercising your 2nd Amendment rights!! that was awesome! now last night, i was in Wendys, a 7yr old, and a 10 yr old, approached me and said " excuse me, is that airsoft? or real? I said, its real guys. The father is watching this also, the older son yells, Well Dont shoot Anyone!!!! Dont do it!! I said i wont its for protection from bad guys, the dad did nothing as the kid is yelling. I served 8 yrs in the army, 3 tours in middle east, I lost my right knee to a IED, I protected my rights, i going to exercise them!!!

millerkimber1

Hey, I was in colorado springs yesterday, and i always open carry, i have a kimber compact cdp .45 1911, and i was in line for my pharmacy, i walked up to the line, and overheard one guy to another say, Holy Crap, he has a gun!!! is that legal, the other guy says, I dont think so i dont think it is legal, And out of no where, a CS PD officer, leans over and says, Colorado is a open carry state, its pefectly legal, in certain areas. He then came to me, and said, thank you for exercising your 2nd Amendment rights!! that was awesome! now last night, i was in Wendys, a 7yr old, and a 10 yr old, approached me and said " excuse me, is that airsoft? or real? I said, its real guys. The father is watching this also, the older son yells, Well Dont shoot Anyone!!!! Dont do it!! I said i wont its for protection from bad guys, the dad did nothing as the kid is yelling. I served 8 yrs in the army, 3 tours in middle east, I lost my right knee to a IED, I protected my rights, i going to exercise them!!!

I tired of these liberal weirdos infringing on my rights, I lost my knee, and my fore fathers died to get these rights!! The middle east (Iraq, Afghan) has a rule, every household must have One Ak type and one 30 rnd magazine. This country should be; Every law abiding citizen that pays taxes, should have at least one firearm for protection, shotgun/Pistol you choose. Now if you wanna own more, thats fine. You take away gun rights, and the bad guys will buy from the "Black Market" and always have guns. If they take away buying guns legally, what you gonna do when they break in, hold your family hostage, and start killing family one by one? Screw that, if you obey the law, and can legally own a gun, then you should have one. And also they should re do the domestic violence thing, sometimes its a crazy ex, that calls the cops for spite, and the guy ends up with a felony, thats ******** also, now he can never own a gun? because a psycho female?

PikesPeakMtnMan

Welcome MillerKimber! I grew up in Woodland Park and my parents still live there, up by the new hospital. My g/f and I cruise through on the motorcycle regularly during the summer. Maybe we'll see you around.