• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry in colorado

andrewmt1587

I have recently started to open carry around where i live. I do know that i cannot open carry in denver and aurora, but i have also been not carrying my pistol loaded because i didn't know if the gun had to be unloaded or not. I have read that carrying a loaded handgun is allowed but i cannot find it stated anywhere in the law concerning open carrying a loaded pistol and i figure whats the point in open carrying if the gun has no bullets. If somebody could please help me to better understand the laws concerning open carry in colorado i would appreciate it greatly.

PikesPeakMtnMan

Loaded open carry in CO is just fine, except in Denver as you noted...Aurora is fine though (the LEOs might give you grief but they know you're legal). The only restrictions regarding loaded/unloaded is for long guns being transported in a car...as far as your pistol is concerned just OC in whatever condition you please (CC without a permit is only allowed in your car or on your own property).

When OCing stay away from all the known no-carry areas...schools, federal buildings, courthouses..and any place which is posted again OPEN carry, though if you have your CHP you may conceal in those places so long as there are no metal detectors.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Carrying unloaded is just carry a fancy paper weight. :D

Laws generally define what you cannot do, not what you can i.e. there is no law saying that you can wear a red shirt, but obviously such is legal. So it is with carrying loaded in Colorado and most all states.

These interactive maps will get you started with some of the basics - just follow the links.
http://opencarry.org/maps.html

Deserteagle8338

Remember you cannot open carry within 1000 feet of a school under federal law. If you have a CC permit you are exempted.
Denver aside, the only thing you need to do is watch for no-gun signs.

andrewmt1587

Here is another question i live less than 1000 feet from a school. Meaning i can't open carry if i step outside of my home? correct.

By the way thank you for your answers

riffraff121

car carry

whithin this thread I have seen where it was stated that CC in your vehicle is considered legal, yet in another area on another site it is stated that inside of your vehicle your weapon, if you don't have an actual CC permit must be in plain site....I would like some clarification on this for my own knowledge due to info here and info found elsewhere is conflicting...can anybody clear this up for me???

JamesB

whithin this thread I have seen where it was stated that CC in your vehicle is considered legal, yet in another area on another site it is stated that inside of your vehicle your weapon, if you don't have an actual CC permit must be in plain site....I would like some clarification on this for my own knowledge due to info here and info found elsewhere is conflicting...can anybody clear this up for me???

Can I carry concealed in my vehicle without a permit (even in Denver)? YES

See C.R.S. 18-12-204

(3) (a) A person who may lawfully possess a handgun may carry a handgun under the following circumstances without obtaining a permit and the handgun shall not be considered concealed:

(I) The handgun is in the possession of a person who is in a private automobile or in some other private means of conveyance and who carries the handgun for a legal use, including self-defense; or

from...http://www.rmgo.org/gun-law-faqs/carrying-in-a-vehicle
more available there.

andrewmt1587

Thanks for the welcome. I'm sure if your close to byers we'll see each other around sometime being theres not a ton of people around out here. It would also be nice to see somebody else OC. I'm still a bit uneasy when I OC so i don't do it as often as i would like because I feel like I need to be a bit more prepared if I encounter a LEO.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Thanks for the welcome. I'm sure if your close to byers we'll see each other around sometime being theres not a ton of people around out here. It would also be nice to see somebody else OC.

Those of us up near Denver get together at least once or twice a year. Keep your eyes peeled to the Colorado section.

I'm still a bit uneasy when I OC so i don't do it as often as i would like because I feel like I need to be a bit more prepared if I encounter a LEO.

The first time I encountered an LEO while OCing he looked at me, looked at my firearm, then looked back at the menu and placed his order. He was in front of me in the line at Wendys. When my turn came, I was prepared! To order...

Keens

Welcome to the forum! If you'd like, we can meet up sometime as I drive through Bennett at least once a week. The High Plains Diner there has good food and they are OC friendly. I live in Elbert County about 30 mins from Byers, so we may see each other sometime. I've seen one other OC'er around here but didn't get a chance to say hello and have a chat. OC meetup anyone?

C.Stewart

Open carry in Northern Colorado

Hi all,
I have what's probably a stupid question. I am new to the whole carry thing and was wondering if you all have a lot of problems with folks or law enforcement open carrying. I've thought about getting my concealed carry permit but for me it's a little hard to shell out 152.50 on top of the 75 I dropped already on the class.

Gunslinger

Depends on where you live. In COS, never. Some of the leftwing cities, sometimes--but the law is clear that OC is not unlawful, except in Denver County. CC is lawful everywhere with a permit.

C.Stewart

Thanks for the response Gunslinger. Surprisingly I walked into a local gun store today and was asked to clear my weapon and leave mag and ammo in the truck before I entered the store to buy a new holster.

JamesB

Last edited:

C.Stewart

Ya Jensens Firearms in Loveland.. After that I'll drive to Ft.Collins if I can't find what I want in Greeley. I've never really cared for them anyhow.... The employees were carrying why not us?

Last edited:

Gunslinger

There are some that do that and evidently don't see their own hypocrisy. Plenty of other places to spend your money on guns who respect your rights.