Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chamber Check your ammunition

Chamber Check your ammunition

This is more for the semi-auto folk then the revolver guys.

How many of you "chamber check" your carry ammunition. In case you don't know what I mean.

1. Take the barrel out of your firearm (field strip it).
    2. Take each round of your carry ammunition and drop it in the chamber. Now turn the barrel upside down and let it fall out into your other hand.

If the round doesn't go easily into the chamber fully and doesn't effortlessly fall out, I don't carry it.

I rotate my ammunition monthly through different magazines (help prevent spring wear from being constantly compressed, if such a thing exists (it's been debated)). When I rotate my magazines, I chamber check each round again to make sure temp changes or anything else hasn't deformed a round.

How many of you chamber check your carry ammunition?
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Not me. Been carrying for 17 years. Maybe I should start.
    "If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." – William F. Buckley
    "...go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." – Samuel Adams
    Wheels

I use the same technique for reloading; saves a lot of frustration later.

Barrels make great go / no gages. If all three 45's are happy, I'm happy.
    'If the people are not ready for the exercise of the non-violence of the brave, they must be ready for the use of force in self defense. There should be no camouflage.....it must never be secret.' MK Gandhi II-146 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)-- Gandhi supports open carry!

'There is nothing more demoralizing than the fake non-violence of the weak and impotent.' MK Gandhi II-153 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Not me. Been carrying for 17 years. Maybe I should start.
    I can't carry a round with confidence if I haven't checked it. How am I to know if it will even fit to feed properly if I don't?

Ammo Manufacturers make mistakes too. Will you be around to sue them if you get a faulty round and it costs you your life?
    Last edited by TheQ; 01-07-2012 at 07:23 PM.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

I carry my reloads. There is a can of 2,000 rounds of reloaded ammo here for it. Every single one of them has been through a Dillon case gauge. A case gauge is tighter than a chamber, too.

I case gauge all my reloaded ammo, for every gun.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    A case gauge is tighter than a chamber, too.
    Even a match grade?

I don't know -- I'm asking

Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    Even a match grade?

I don't know -- I'm asking
    Good question. I don't know either. I know the XD(m) is supposed to be a match grade chamber, right?

I always think of guns like the Freedom Arms big .22 revolver in rimfire silhouette competitions. To them, match grade is TIGHT, and you have to push rounds in and out; they won't fall. That would seem far too tight for a reliable self-defense pistol.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Good question. I don't know either. I know the XD(m) is supposed to be a match grade chamber, right?

I always think of guns like the Freedom Arms big .22 revolver in rimfire silhouette competitions. To them, match grade is TIGHT, and you have to push rounds in and out; they won't fall. That would seem far too tight for a reliable self-defense pistol.
    The XDm is a match grade chamber and barrel. My primary is an XDm - 9. My carry rounds fall out just fine.

Banned
    They should fall out. To be honest, I've never really thought about it with the SD ammo, but the mags get cycled when I go shoot. I reload as well, so I know the shooters will fit.

^^ The chamber sounds like it might be too tight, unless you're neck sizing, or fire forming your brass. Not good for semiautos, too hard on the gun. OK for bolt action stuff though.

I've never even thought about doing this. Seems like it could only do you good.

FWIW I don't cycle magazines. I don't think it really matters.
    “The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime.”
    [Miller vs. U.S., 230 F. Supp. 486, 489 (1956)]
    “There can be no sanction or penalty imposed upon one because of his exercise of constitutional rights.”
    [Sherar vs. Cullen, 481 F2d. 946 (1973)]

I have never herd of anyone doing this, how often do you actually find a problem round?
    "Fight like you train, train like you fight"

Banned
    Only takes once.

Just ask Murphey.

When the barrel and chamber get hot from firing some rounds in rapid succession, the chamber fit will become a bit tighter.

Ever checked it after heating the barrel/chamber a bit?
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady
    I am no victim, just a poor college student who looks to the day where the rich have the living piss taxed out of them.

Isn't the casing bigger than the bullet? Will it even slide through without jamming

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fire suppressor View Post
    Isn't the casing bigger than the bullet? Will it even slide through without jamming
    Surely no one thinks the case/brass slides all the way through the barrel. If it does, you have the wrong ammo - stop, do not touch, call an adult.

The test involves trial fitting to the chamber or throat area - there should be no binding or roughness. Just a clean drop in and slide out when tipped the opposite way. In a revolver this is accomplished in the cylinder not at the barrel/forcing cone area.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Banned
    I do check for bullet setback though. That's when the bullet is pushed back into the case. This can be caused by repeated chamberings of the same round. Bullet setback quickly and dramatically raises pressures in the cartridge, can cause case ruptures and can even blow up your gun. The gun could be damaged beyond repair along with your hands and eyes.

i've never thought of checking the fit in the chamber, but i do, like stainless, check my rounds for setback. i do it about once a week just to make sure the unloading and casing then reloading every time i get in and out of the car has not pushed the bullet back into the casing

Quote Originally Posted by RenkaiWulf View Post
    i've never thought of checking the fit in the chamber, but i do, like stainless, check my rounds for setback. i do it about once a week just to make sure the unloading and casing then reloading every time i get in and out of the car has not pushed the bullet back into the casing
    Good. You know the round you chamber will load. How about the rest of them?

Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    Good. You know the round you chamber will load. How about the rest of them?
    i rotate the rounds in the mag so they all feed through not just the same one over and over, thats just asking for setback

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Surely no one thinks the case/brass slides all the way through the barrel. If it does, you have the wrong ammo - stop, do not touch, call an adult.

The test involves trial fitting to the chamber or throat area - there should be no binding or roughness. Just a clean drop in and slide out when tipped the opposite way. In a revolver this is accomplished in the cylinder not at the barrel/forcing cone area.

LOL thank you I just had a ah hub moment!

Let me see....
    The slide slams forward ramming the round into the chamber with quite a bit of force. Enough force to chamber even a slightly "tight" fit (think match grade chambers).

When the round is fired the force of the exploding gasses expands the brass to fit the dimensions of the chamber making for a tight fit yet the extractor still pulls it out. And pulls it out while still hot and expanded....

So... without trying to be a smart arse and actually wondering while sincerely wanting some actual factual answer....

Assuming quality ammo/gauged reloads is under discussion....

Other than knowing the round will drop into and fall out of the chamber under conditions that don't even come close to the actual working conditions during cycling.... what gain is there by doing a "chamber fit"?
    Last edited by Bikenut; 01-08-2012 at 08:27 AM.
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

Herr Heckler Koch
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    When the round is fired the force of the exploding gasses expands the brass to fit the dimensions of the chamber making for a tight fit yet the extractor still pulls it out. And pulls it out while still hot and expanded.
    The cartridge had better be working in the elastic region of its stress-strain curve, while under pressure, so it can recover its circumference when not under pressure. There is not a lot of section density in a cartridge to allow plastic flow deformation. That's a kaboom.

Quote Originally Posted by Herr Heckler Koch View Post
    The cartridge had better be working in the elastic region of its stress-strain curve, while under pressure, so it can recover its circumference when not under pressure. There is not a lot of section density in a cartridge to allow plastic flow deformation. That's a kaboom.
    Ah, thank you, was about to say the same thing. The cartridge (hopefully) recovers its original diameter (+/- a thousandth or so) almost instantaneously after firing.

Now, what manufacturer in their right mind puts a match chamber on a weapon? Target gun, yes, but a weapon? Probably a marketing hype to appeal to the general public?

Seems sexy, but not very reliable in adverse conditions.

Kalashnikov had the right idea- a certain amount of 'looseness' increases reliability.
    'If the people are not ready for the exercise of the non-violence of the brave, they must be ready for the use of force in self defense. There should be no camouflage.....it must never be secret.' MK Gandhi II-146 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)-- Gandhi supports open carry!

'There is nothing more demoralizing than the fake non-violence of the weak and impotent.' MK Gandhi II-153 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fire suppressor View Post
    LOL thank you I just had a ah hub moment!
    Not a problem - I am a daily practitioner of senior moments myself.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Herr Heckler Koch View Post
    Yes, I understand that there is some recovery of circumference as the pressure curve decreases... however... the brass is still hot and has expanded a certain amount simply from the heat. That heat induced expansion means the casing now has a larger circumference than it did when it was cold and being chamber checked to see if the cold round would fall out.

So what does the round falling out when cold prove about the ability of the extractor to pull the casing of the now fired, and hot, round?

I guess I just don't see what a round falling in/falling out of the chamber when cold has anything to do with the round chambering/extracting under real working conditions?

Again, we are assuming (yeah, I know what the word means) we are talking about quality ammo/gauged reloads.
    Last edited by Bikenut; 01-08-2012 at 11:26 AM.
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast