• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Chamber Check your ammunition

TheQ

This is more for the semi-auto folk then the revolver guys.

How many of you "chamber check" your carry ammunition. In case you don't know what I mean.

1. Take the barrel out of your firearm (field strip it).
2. Take each round of your carry ammunition and drop it in the chamber. Now turn the barrel upside down and let it fall out into your other hand.

If the round doesn't go easily into the chamber fully and doesn't effortlessly fall out, I don't carry it.

I rotate my ammunition monthly through different magazines (help prevent spring wear from being constantly compressed, if such a thing exists (it's been debated)). When I rotate my magazines, I chamber check each round again to make sure temp changes or anything else hasn't deformed a round.

How many of you chamber check your carry ammunition?

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
I use the same technique for reloading; saves a lot of frustration later.

Barrels make great go / no gages. If all three 45's are happy, I'm happy.

TheQ

Not me. Been carrying for 17 years. Maybe I should start.

I can't carry a round with confidence if I haven't checked it. How am I to know if it will even fit to feed properly if I don't?

Ammo Manufacturers make mistakes too. Will you be around to sue them if you get a faulty round and it costs you your life?

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I carry my reloads. There is a can of 2,000 rounds of reloaded ammo here for it. Every single one of them has been through a Dillon case gauge. A case gauge is tighter than a chamber, too.

I case gauge all my reloaded ammo, for every gun.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Even a match grade?

I don't know -- I'm asking ;)

Good question. I don't know either. I know the XD(m) is supposed to be a match grade chamber, right?

I always think of guns like the Freedom Arms big .22 revolver in rimfire silhouette competitions. To them, match grade is TIGHT, and you have to push rounds in and out; they won't fall. That would seem far too tight for a reliable self-defense pistol.

TheQ

Good question. I don't know either. I know the XD(m) is supposed to be a match grade chamber, right?

I always think of guns like the Freedom Arms big .22 revolver in rimfire silhouette competitions. To them, match grade is TIGHT, and you have to push rounds in and out; they won't fall. That would seem far too tight for a reliable self-defense pistol.

The XDm is a match grade chamber and barrel. My primary is an XDm - 9. My carry rounds fall out just fine.

stainless1911

Banned
They should fall out. To be honest, I've never really thought about it with the SD ammo, but the mags get cycled when I go shoot. I reload as well, so I know the shooters will fit.

^^ The chamber sounds like it might be too tight, unless you're neck sizing, or fire forming your brass. Not good for semiautos, too hard on the gun. OK for bolt action stuff though.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
I've never even thought about doing this. Seems like it could only do you good.

FWIW I don't cycle magazines. I don't think it really matters.

VW_Factor

When the barrel and chamber get hot from firing some rounds in rapid succession, the chamber fit will become a bit tighter.

Ever checked it after heating the barrel/chamber a bit?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Isn't the casing bigger than the bullet? Will it even slide through without jamming

Surely no one thinks the case/brass slides all the way through the barrel. If it does, you have the wrong ammo - stop, do not touch, call an adult.

The test involves trial fitting to the chamber or throat area - there should be no binding or roughness. Just a clean drop in and slide out when tipped the opposite way. In a revolver this is accomplished in the cylinder not at the barrel/forcing cone area.

stainless1911

Banned
I do check for bullet setback though. That's when the bullet is pushed back into the case. This can be caused by repeated chamberings of the same round. Bullet setback quickly and dramatically raises pressures in the cartridge, can cause case ruptures and can even blow up your gun. The gun could be damaged beyond repair along with your hands and eyes.

RenkaiWulf

i've never thought of checking the fit in the chamber, but i do, like stainless, check my rounds for setback. i do it about once a week just to make sure the unloading and casing then reloading every time i get in and out of the car has not pushed the bullet back into the casing

TheQ

i've never thought of checking the fit in the chamber, but i do, like stainless, check my rounds for setback. i do it about once a week just to make sure the unloading and casing then reloading every time i get in and out of the car has not pushed the bullet back into the casing

Good. You know the round you chamber will load. How about the rest of them?

fire suppressor

Surely no one thinks the case/brass slides all the way through the barrel. If it does, you have the wrong ammo - stop, do not touch, call an adult.

The test involves trial fitting to the chamber or throat area - there should be no binding or roughness. Just a clean drop in and slide out when tipped the opposite way. In a revolver this is accomplished in the cylinder not at the barrel/forcing cone area.

LOL thank you I just had a ah hub moment! :)