Thread: Good Gunsmith?

Winston Salem

Good Gunsmith?

I'd like to have a good trigger job done on my 1911, and a sight adjustment on my Sig 2022. I'm wary of going to a Gander Mountain. Google searches aren't coming up with much except for L&J Gunsmithing in Greensboro. Are there any other good gunsmiths near Winston Salem? Has anyone done business with L&J and can give me a quick review?
    "There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace." ~ Aldo Leopold

Trailrunner's Blog
    Got Twitter?

Columbia, in the Peoples Republic of Murderland
    If you want ANY custom work on a 1911, I can recommend, without hesitation, Wayne Novak in Parkersburg, WV. He has an FFL, so you can ship directly to him, and he can ship it directly back to your residence legally under NC law.

His shop is one of the best 1911 custom shops East of the Mississippi, his prices are reasonable and his turnaround time is quick.

As for custom work on a Sig, I don't know much about that. I'd suggest using a Sig-certified armorer though, because the Sigs are pretty tight-tolerance guns and you don't want just any hack machinist with a Dremel going at our Sig internals...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

, North Carolina, USA
    The Gun Vault in High Point has a great gunsmith. My brother has a gun up there now for some work and I have had my Glock up there and my dads Sig. He is busy though, and expect anywhere from 1-3 weeks for it to get back, maybe a little longer if he is really backed up. Mark is the Gunsmith, great guy, everyone at The Gun Vault is great.

Just take I40 to 311 all the way to high point. If your ok letting him have it for a couple weeks its worth the wait for the job he does, at least thats been my experience.

This guy is in Mebane and did a good job for a fair price on my 1911.

I think most semi-competent smiths should be able to handle such a common task.
    "In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain

I don't bother with pragmatic statistics while discussing my constitutional rights. The issue is far less complex, to me. Free men should be able to act like free men.