• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Good Gunsmith?

TrailRunner

I'd like to have a good trigger job done on my 1911, and a sight adjustment on my Sig 2022. I'm wary of going to a Gander Mountain. Google searches aren't coming up with much except for L&J Gunsmithing in Greensboro. Are there any other good gunsmiths near Winston Salem? Has anyone done business with L&J and can give me a quick review?

Dreamer

If you want ANY custom work on a 1911, I can recommend, without hesitation, Wayne Novak in Parkersburg, WV. He has an FFL, so you can ship directly to him, and he can ship it directly back to your residence legally under NC law.

His shop is one of the best 1911 custom shops East of the Mississippi, his prices are reasonable and his turnaround time is quick.

http://www.novaksights.com/novak.html

As for custom work on a Sig, I don't know much about that. I'd suggest using a Sig-certified armorer though, because the Sigs are pretty tight-tolerance guns and you don't want just any hack machinist with a Dremel going at our Sig internals...

jag06

The Gun Vault in High Point has a great gunsmith. My brother has a gun up there now for some work and I have had my Glock up there and my dads Sig. He is busy though, and expect anywhere from 1-3 weeks for it to get back, maybe a little longer if he is really backed up. Mark is the Gunsmith, great guy, everyone at The Gun Vault is great.

http://thegunvaultnc.com/Gun_Vault_NC/Gun_Smith.html

Just take I40 to 311 all the way to high point. If your ok letting him have it for a couple weeks its worth the wait for the job he does, at least thats been my experience.