• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Identifying ourselves to police?

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
You asserted that we have to identify ourselves to police and you didn't specify Tennessee. That's patently false and I most certainly can prove it with case law and 1983 actions from my state. Don't be disingenuous, this is not the Tennessee sub forum.

"No law allows officers to arrest for obstruction on a person's refusal to give his or her name. Mere silence is insufficient to constitute obstruction. Henes v. Morrissey, 194 Wis. 2d 339, 533 N.W.2d 802 (1995). "

Wierd that people still get arrested in Wisconsin huh? :rolleyes:

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

OC for ME

You set the scenario, not me. Do you not attempt to get the witness(s) that make the report, if they are on the scene, to confirm their report? Or, do anonymous reports, of a possible misdemeanor, carry the weight that you seem to indicate that they do. I am not saying that your investigation is unlawful, I am saying that your logic is flawed with regards to that person who does not ID himself.

That he may be the reported criminal, based solely on a possibly anonymous tip, without a witness on scene to ID him, and the lack of his cooperation with regards to his identity to exclude himself as the alleged criminal seems to substantiate your need to investigate. Your premise is that he is the guy until he proves otherwise to you now, or you find out later absent his cooperation now.

Either way, the apparent LAC has been 'inconvenienced' for the greater good, to the detriment of that LAC. The discussion of whether or not his rights have been violated, by you, can only be determined if the LAC desires to gain redress. Fortunately, for LE, most citizens do not have the financial means to seek redress.

Fallschirjmäger

SgtScott31 said:
"... If I can articulate enough reasonable suspicion to detain you, then you're obligated (by law) to give me enough info to identify you. This is the case whether the involved state has a "stop and identify" statute or not..."
Yet again, another assertion without providing a shred of proof. Where is the citation, SgtScott? You stated "...(by law)..." so POST THE LAW.

"...I'm not going to take him downtown yet, but there's a reason we have an obstruction/resist stop, frisk, halt statute..."
And just What does the obstruction/resist stop, frisk, halt statute say? Where is the citation to it SgtScott?

"...Hiding behind quotes? The "us" versus "them" comment obviously means the OC.com folks here who think they know something about law enforcement versus the courts, legislative bodies, and law enforcers..."
No, Scott, sorry but 'us' does not obviously mean OC.com folks. It means us, the people of this land; y'know, da guys who aren't 'the courts, legislative bodies, and law enforcers'... the people you're supposed to be serving.

Bottom line, you think I'm wrong. I don't and neither do those @ the courthouse. It ends there.
If it indeed 'ended there', then there wouldn't be court opinions to the contrary.
Unfortunately, there seems to be a tendency among some, to allow themselves to be defined by what they do for a paycheck, as though that defines what they are. Sorry, but that shiny bauble on someone's chest, the thing that grants them all that state-blessed authority in their world..... just doesn't carry over to here, where they are 'just another dood behind a keyboard.' They no longer automatically 'get the last word', they aren't the final authority, and we're free to call their bluff any time we wish.

Last edited:

Verd

Campaign Veteran
On a side note, let me give a scenario and I want you to give an answer as to what you would do:

You're a police officer and get dispatched to a person breaking into vehicles in a Walmart parking lot. The dispatcher relays witness information that describes the suspect as a white male, 6' tall, wearing a striped red shirt and blue jeans. You pull in not long afterwards and see a guy matching the description to a tee. You approach and talk to him. He appears nervous but is somewhat compliant. You notice what appears to be glass fragments on his jeans, but he doesn't have any tools or stolen property on him that you could see. You haven't quite built up enough PC to arrest him, but you definitely have enough to detain him. In the process of questioning you ask for name (or ID) and he refuses. How would your investigation identify this person should enough evidence develop after you let him go to get a warrant?

Well, legally, the man is not driving, so how can you confirm if the man is lying to you about his name or not? He does not have to produce his drivers liscence nor is he required by law to have legal identification on him at all times regardless of what he is doing. So if he states that he is Joe Brown and then states that he is pleading the 5th, refusing to speak to you about anything unless his lawyer is present, and asks if he is being detained or if he is free to go, what do you do? How do you determine that he is who he says he is? Because now, you've let him go and you have a warrant for a "Joe Brown" but alas, no Joe Brown lives in your jurisdiction or those that do, do not match the guy's description?

OC for ME

My concern is the duration of the detainment if the citizen refuses to provide his ID after 'consensual contact".

Will you detain the citizen for the amount of time it takes to contact the citizen that made the report? In the hopes that a positive ID (THAT'S THE GUY!! or NO THAT AIN'T HIM) is made.

Will you detain the citizen for the amount of time it takes to review Walmart security camera footage (even then, absent a witness, the video may not exclude the citizen if he matches the description to a tee)?

Will the citizen providing his name (ID), in and of itself, exclude him as the person described in the report? Unless the witness (person making the report) knows the person committing the crime, by name, you knowing the citizen's name, having ID'd him, has no bearing on your investigation.

I am not a LEO and I am not familiar with your investigative techniques. But I am cognizant of the dilemma that you, as the responding officer, have placed yourself in. Having this citizen's ID contributes nothing to your investigation of the crime reported. Even if the citizen provides his ID, without a "THAT'S THE GUY!!" statement from a witness(s) or other irrefutable evidence, you have no authority to detain him after he ID's himself. Though, it seems to me that you would detain him for the duration of a investigation.

Given your scenario, refusing to ID is not sufficient to arrest. Refusing to answer your questions is not sufficient to arrest. Without a positive ID from a witness, without corroborating physical (video) evidence, regardless of whether or not you have his ID, you must permit the citizen to go about his business. The 'what appears to be' glass fragments are insufficient evidence in my view to obtain PC for a arrest. I hope that the glass fragments would not be used as the only PC for a arrest. I do not know what TN law says about arrest, but the provided link is how Missouri statute defines arrest. RSMo 544.180

Will you restrain (handcuffs) the citizen for the duration of your investigation? I think you have the authority, maybe, and the handcuffing will likely be excused by a judge as a reasonable inconvenience in the pursuit of 'truth'.

I think SCOTUS has ruled that a person is considered seized if they reasonably believe that they are free to leave even though they are not actually restrained. I could be wrong on that one though.

Side note: Consensual Contact - bogus phrase. If you walk up to me and start asking questions that do not revolve around mundane topics, I will consider myself detained and will then ask why I am being detained. If you state that I am not being detained, I will give you a warm and genuine "Good day to you officer, thank you for your service, and be safe."

If you are asking me questions relating to my knowledge of 'X' (did I witness 'X'), I am legally obligated under RSMo to cooperate as a potential witness. But I do not have to ID myself, and I will not ID myself, until it is established that I am a witness to a crime. If I am a witness then my full and enthusiastically given cooperation will be forthcoming. LEOs catching the BG is good for me, good for my family, and good for my community. I'll do my part, under the advice of counsel, to the best of my ability.

OC for ME

<snip> I'm not going to take him downtown yet, but there's a reason we have an obstruction/resist stop, frisk, halt statute. <snip>
Tenn. Code Ann. § 39-16-602 (2011) is the code that SgtScott31 alludes to above. SgtScott31 will apparently use, or condones the use of, a TN code that does not even have the word identification contained therein to 'force', under threat of arrest and confinement, a TN citizen to produce ID. How does a citizen not providing ID violate this TN code? How does a citizen not talking to a LEO, even 'consensually', violate this TN code?

39-16-602. Resisting stop, frisk, halt, arrest or search -- Prevention or obstruction of service of legal writ or process.

(a) It is an offense for a person to intentionally prevent or obstruct anyone known to the person to be a law enforcement officer, or anyone acting in a law enforcement officer's presence and at the officer's direction, from effecting a stop, frisk, halt, arrest or search of any person, including the defendant, by using force against the law enforcement officer or another.

(b) Except as provided in § 39-11-611 (Self-Defense Code), it is no defense to prosecution under this section that the stop, frisk, halt, arrest or search was unlawful.

(c) It is an offense for a person to intentionally prevent or obstruct an officer of the state or any other person known to be a civil process server in serving, or attempting to serve or execute, any legal writ or process.

(d) A violation of this section is a Class B misdemeanor unless the defendant uses a deadly weapon to resist the stop, frisk, halt, arrest, search or process server, in which event the violation is a Class A misdemeanor.
Will a, has a, LEO in TN misapplied this TN code as SgtScott31 seems to indicate that he would do, or has done?

OC for ME

I did find this in the TN code:

7-3-505. Failure to produce identification -- Arrest -- Release -- Bond.

When any police or peace officer of a metropolitan government or any employee of a metropolitan government authorized to enforce ordinances, laws or regulations of the metropolitan government or charged with the duty to serve civil or criminal process, asks the violator for identification for the purpose of issuing a citation or civil warrant to that person, the failure to produce or give such identification shall be grounds for the violator to be arrested by an officer authorized to make arrests pursuant to title 40, chapter 7. In such event, the violator shall be arrested, transported to the police station or jail, booked, photographed and fingerprinted for identification purposes and, thereafter, shall be served with the citation or civil warrant and released from custody without being required to post a bond.
Would SgtScott31 attempt to misapply this code?

OC for ME

In my view, there is enough information (evidence), provided by SgtScott31, for me to conclude that he talks one way, and may likely walk another way with regards to respecting our 2A right as it is understood by the TN legislature while in the performance of his duties as a LEO in TN.

Too bad really....

wrightme

In my view, there is enough information (evidence), provided by SgtScott31, for me to conclude that he talks one way, and may likely walk another way with regards to respecting our 2A right as it is understood by the TN legislature while in the performance of his duties as a LEO in TN.

Too bad really....
Are you sure? He 'talks' like he will falsely use the statutes to force identification, absent ras. And, it does seem like that IS how he 'walks.'

On a related note, if those are the only relevant statutes in TN, I can see WHY he refused to cite them. :monkey

Last edited:

wrightme

You seriously think I'm going to read the entire opinion? Needless to say since I actually apply issues like those discussed in Hiibel as part of my job I'm pretty sure I have a better grasp on it than you do.
I think the second sentence needs addressed clearly.

Your supposed requirement to apply issues like those discussed in Hiibel as part of your job do not presuppose a better grasp on it than citizen has. It only shows that you SHOULD have a better grasp to ensure you are doing it accurately.
Whether you 'have a better grasp' or not is still in question.

wrightme

When am I allowed to ask for name/ID during any interaction with a person? Who did this case directly affect? LEOs yes? Hiibel was not anything new. It just helped reinforce the court's stance when LEOs are allowed to demand ID versus when it is a consensual encounter and the person doesn't have to give it. If I can articulate enough reasonable suspicion to detain you, then you're obligated (by law) to give me enough info to identify you. This is the case whether the involved state has a "stop and identify" statute or not. I'm still waiting on a case where providing such info has incriminated anyone. For most people, the issue is not involving incrimination, but figuring out whether you're obligated to give out your information or not to LE when requested.

Well? We are still awaiting your cite for the "by law" that obligates a citizen to give you enough info to identify you, absent a 'stop and identify' statute.

OC for ME

I have not read every code, TN uses LexisNexis as their search function. http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/tncode/

I have used LexisNexis before and the search capability is more than adequate to list any and all results that contain identification, obstruction, and arrest. With this in mind, it appears to me at this juncture that there are no other codes that address 'stop & ID' authority for LE in TN. I could be wrong though.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
If I can articulate enough reasonable suspicion to detain you, then you're obligated (by law) to give me enough info to identify you. This is the case whether the involved state has a "stop and identify" statute or not.

Still no cite?

crickets.jpg

Fallschirjmäger

He must just be having a long weekend and not able to get back to work where he can hang out on the forums with us.

I think it's way too early to even suggest he's abandoned us and gone back to Officer.com to complain about how all those rude, nasty, open carriers didn't 'respect his authoritah.'
We can give him a few more days, right?

Last edited:

Aknazer

He must just be having a long weekend and not able to get back to work where he can hang out on the forums with us.

I think it's way too early to even suggest he's abandoned us and gone back to Officer.com to complain about how all those rude, nasty, open carriers didn't 'respect his authoritah.'

Well he hasn't logged into his account since the 17th so it is possible that he hasn't checked the board. Though he could simply have it set to not auto log-in so that he can read the responses w/o people knowing he has read them.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member

Oh, we can take some time to review. Lemme see. Hmmmm.

SgtScott31

1. Made an assertion of law that a citizen is obligated by law to identify himself to a cop who has RAS, this obligation existing in every state with or without a stop-and-ID statute.

2. He got bent out of shape when we demanded a cite. Something about him liking how we thought he was pulling this stuff out of his _ _ _.

3. He took numerous evasions rather than just make a cite. Now, this is really telling. He had more than a few requests for a cite, more people than I can ever remember happening in previous threads--ever--asked him for a cite. And, he took numerous dodges. Going off into several posts about TN law, despite the cite requests clearly being about his "all states" assertion. There is no way these evasions weren't knowing and deliberate. Same for all the huffing about his experience with TN law, in lieu of providing cites to TN law.

4. Now, we can get down in the weeds quite a bit. Certainly, he gave us plenty of weeds to mow. But, we should periodically step back and take a more expansive view. Here is what I see:

He clearly wasn't interested in educating OCers as citizens. He expected us to take his word for it; he even criticized us for not taking his word for it.

Think about it for a minute. He didn't say, "Listen fellas, I don't want anybody to get arrested because they misunderstood the law. I can't provide a cite just at the moment, but I'm pretty sure you have to ID yourself if the cop has RAS pretty much no matter where you are. You should check this out more thoroughly." No, he didn't say anything like that. In fact, I think he may have even dared anybody to try their hand with TN law to find out whether he was right.

Also, there is a huge tactics issue regarding identity and RAS that he never even bothered to mention. If he really wanted OCers to keep out of trouble, he would have told us about it. Especially in a thread for a new guy!!

Here is the tactical issue:

How is an OCer supposed to know for certain, during the encounter, whether the cop has genuine RAS? The cop can only demand identity if he has genuine RAS and law authorizing the demand. But, how are you going to know whether he has RAS?

It is the courts who decide after the encounter during the suppression hearing whether the cop had genuine RAS. See the last paragraph or so of Terry v Ohio where SCOTUS said each case will have to be decided on its own facts. Hint, hint: that means the courts get to decide, not the OCer.

It is not what you are actually doing that counts. It is what the cop thinks about the circumstances he observes and reports he is given by witnesses and dispatch. Was there a 911 call about a suspicious man with a gun? Was there just enough in that phone call to make RAS? Was the phone call a false report? Embellished? Did dispatch pass along the info to the cop precisely? Did a woman flag down the cop and make a false or embellished report? Or, even a true report. For example, "stranger walking in neighborhood (that recently had a couple burglaries), gun visible, looking at houses, looked very suspicious to me officer."

Care to take a chance as to whether you know all the situations and circumstances that have been ruled are enough for RAS in the last 40+ years since Terry? Do you know whether the cop gets to include his experience as a cop when drawing conclusions about whether something you are doing is suspicious?

And, even if you read every court opinion on RAS, care to roll the dice as to how the judge you face will rule regarding the circumstances in your case? I can't think of two RAS cases that were identical in all circumstances, so even reading every single one still means yours will likely be different, and a judge will have to rule on your exact circumstances. Care to try to guess what your judge will rule?

The cop might lie to you about his RAS, giving you a piece instead of all of it. Also, and even worse, if you defy him, care to take odds on whether he's gonna now really want your a$$? Care to bet whether the RAS gets embellished a bit when told to the judge? In other words, the cop might lie to you during the encounter, and might lie to the judge about what circumstances existed to give him RAS.

I am not a lawyer. But, having studied this subject for the better part of five years, I can tell you that was I in a jurisdiction with a stop-and-identify statute or ordinance, I would identify while refusing consent. That way, if he does have genuine RAS, I'm not violating the identity law. If it turns out later he didn't have genuine RAS, my refused consent means I didn't do it consensually and I have another point for a complaint or lawsuit.

Last edited:

Fallschirjmäger

I'm sure we can all rest well now, seeing that as he just posted on Officer.com he must still be alive.
He may be a bit too busy being "A Shark in a Sea of Crime" right now to grace us with his presence.

OC for ME

Providing ID does not really do anything with regards to proving that you are violating the law. A MWAG call does not mean that you are the MWAG, nor does it mean that you, with a gun, are violating the law even if you do not ID. LEOs requesting/demanding ID resolves nothing with regards to the law. Except where a duty to provide ID upon demand is the law.

LE has always demanded ID, LEOs just don't like it when a OCer lawfully declines to provide ID. Power trip, not likely, it is how LE rolls.

Fallschirjmäger

Yep, the only thing giving a name, address, date of birth, etc., does is enable an inquisitive officer to develop 'reasonable suspicion' of a crime after-the-fact, or provide probable cause for an arrest based on information the officer did not have prior to seizing the citizen.

My standing procedure is once I or my personal effects have been seized, I'm not saying anything Not required by law (and very little is required by law in any state I've researched.) You want to disarm me and have a conversation about why I'm armed? Fine, but I don't have voluntary conversations with people who are being adversarial to me and are better armed. Return my firearm and we can chat or even go have a coffee, or return my property and I'll be on my merry fracking little way, doesn't matter to me.