Thread: Calling 9-1-1 to inquire about police who haven't responded may net you a ticket?

Calling 9-1-1 to inquire about police who haven't responded may net you a ticket?

Man Makes 3 Calls to 9-1-1 about Westland Break-In, Gets Ticketed

Granted, if a crime has happened and teh criminals have already gotten away, I tend to call the non-emergency local police line....but still!
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar
    i hope westland police is ashamed of this officer's actions
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

Founder's Club Member
    Huh!?!

It is almost a universal and politcally motivated policy by police that citizens should call 911. They set themselves up as being the only ones professional enough to handle almost everything.

And, then they ticket people for doing what police politics promoted he do?

Bwhahahahahahahahahahahahahaahaaa!!

911 is government sponsored dial-a-prayer.

911 is a service to the "community" not the citizen who pays taxes to run the program!

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Huh!?!

It is almost a universal and politcally motivated policy by police that citizens should call 911......
    I just saw a massive billboard telling people to call 911 for drunk drivers. Looks like I won't be doing that.
    "I like users who quote smellslikemichigan in their signature lines." - fozzy71

Actually, according to the story, the guy got a ticket for lying to 911 to get a more urgent response. After waiting for three hours, he called 911 and mentioned a gun so the cops would get there faster.
    "If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." – William F. Buckley
    "...go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." – Samuel Adams
    Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Actually, according to the story, the guy got a ticket for lying to 911 to get a more urgent response. After waiting for three hours, he called 911 and mentioned a gun so the cops would get there faster.
    We do not know what the guy said about a gun.

The story seems to indicate that no one had cleared the apartment and they were waiting for the police to do that.

So, did he ask the police to come because he did not know if someone was in the home with a gun and they would like to be able to enter his mothers home?

I would like to hear the 911 transcript before passing judgement on the mere mentioning of a gun.

True.
    "If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to."
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." – William F. Buckley
    "...go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." – Samuel Adams
    Wheels

He called 911 more than 3 times.

He lied and gave the operators false information to get police there more quickly.

Does that about sum it up?
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady
    I am no victim, just a poor college student who looks to the day where the rich have the living piss taxed out of them.

If I came home and my front door was busted in, I would not enter without police backup.

Why? Well, because I would not have the tactical advantage. Clearing a home that may be occupied by unknown assailants is not as easy as they make it look on TV. And, I am not Rambo.

And legally, if this man had been armed and went in to the home to clear it himself, then had to shoot someone, he may get prosecuted because they could argue that he should have waited on the police. They would say he had no legitimate reason to enter the home and that he had brought the danger upon himself.

So, here he is, standing with his mom trying to console her and the police will not show up. I can understand his frustration.

He should fight this ticket.

Banned
    I dont see the prosecution being successful at all, he has the legal right to be in his home, there is no duty to retreat, all that he needs is the belief that he is in imminent fear of life or limb. Sure, it doesnt look good, but it's legal.
    Last edited by stainless1911; 01-09-2012 at 01:39 AM.

Campaign Veteran Glock9mmOldStyle's Avatar

Unhappy About Westland PD

I can only relay what others I personally know have to say about this department & its chief. They have some very good officers in the field and many are knowledgeable when it comes to not only the law, but also common courtesy. However there are a few bad apples that make life difficult as there often are in all organizations. As proof provided here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2xOpF4z_v0 as the officer describes OCers "as a bunch of glory fighters". Then threatens to lock up the LEGAL OCer after he issues him a ticket for brandishing a holstered pistol. The chief is described as being against citizens carrying weapons for protection. When his officers "bend" the law he has issued memos, yet every year at minimum we seem to have some "wrinkle" with them and OC.

This being the case, make your judgments about them.
    “A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison.

“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.” “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.” George Washington

Well as an "unarmed" security officer I was assaulted one night and spent almost 2 hours waiting for any kind of response, to include an ambulance. I can see this guy's frustration. I hope he nails them to the wall over this one.
    Last edited by Ezerharden; 01-11-2012 at 03:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rscottie View Post
    If I came home and my front door was busted in, I would not enter without police backup.

Why? Well, because I would not have the tactical advantage. Clearing a home that may be occupied by unknown assailants is not as easy as they make it look on TV. And, I am not Rambo.

And legally, if this man had been armed and went in to the home to clear it himself, then had to shoot someone, he may get prosecuted because they could argue that he should have waited on the police. They would say he had no legitimate reason to enter the home and that he had brought the danger upon himself.
    That's where the Castle Doctrine should protect him. He's got a legal right to be there, and no duty to retreat. Whether entering is the wisest course of action or not, he should be legally covered.
    No one has ever walked away from a gunfight complaining that he brought too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by hopnpop View Post
    That's where the Castle Doctrine should protect him. He's got a legal right to be there, and no duty to retreat. Whether entering is the wisest course of action or not, he should be legally covered.
    I do not know what his Castle Doctrine protections are in his state. But, I can see an overzealous prosecutor going after someone that Enters a building where it could be argued that they should wait for the police. You know, blame the victim for escalating the issue by going in.

As I was saying about my house, I would not enter without backup, especially if a burglar had been in there for some time. Why? Well, if he had figured out how to pry open my gun cabinet, he would be very well armed. I do not have the big fire type safe but the one I have would take a large prybar and a lot of work, but it could be breached with determination.

It would suck to get shot with your own shotgun....

Quote Originally Posted by rscottie View Post
    I do not know what his Castle Doctrine protections are in his state. But, I can see an overzealous prosecutor going after someone that Enters a building where it could be argued that they should wait for the police. You know, blame the victim for escalating the issue by going in.

As I was saying about my house, I would not enter without backup, especially if a burglar had been in there for some time. Why? Well, if he had figured out how to pry open my gun cabinet, he would be very well armed. I do not have the big fire type safe but the one I have would take a large prybar and a lot of work, but it could be breached with determination.

It would suck to get shot with your own shotgun....
    In that situation, I would hope my lawyer would correctly point out that the police have no duty/responsibility/obligation to protect us. They clean up crimes, rather than solve them.So, waiting 20-120 minutes for police to possibly respond may be wiser, but not the only solution. I'm not advocating clearing the house alone with just your side arm; just pointing out it's not the cop's duty to make sure your house is safe for you to enter.