• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Calling 9-1-1 to inquire about police who haven't responded may net you a ticket?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Huh!?!

It is almost a universal and politcally motivated policy by police that citizens should call 911. They set themselves up as being the only ones professional enough to handle almost everything.

And, then they ticket people for doing what police politics promoted he do?

Bwhahahahahahahahahahahahahaahaaa!!

griffin

Actually, according to the story, the guy got a ticket for lying to 911 to get a more urgent response. After waiting for three hours, he called 911 and mentioned a gun so the cops would get there faster.

rscottie

Actually, according to the story, the guy got a ticket for lying to 911 to get a more urgent response. After waiting for three hours, he called 911 and mentioned a gun so the cops would get there faster.

We do not know what the guy said about a gun.

The story seems to indicate that no one had cleared the apartment and they were waiting for the police to do that.

So, did he ask the police to come because he did not know if someone was in the home with a gun and they would like to be able to enter his mothers home?

I would like to hear the 911 transcript before passing judgement on the mere mentioning of a gun.

VW_Factor

He called 911 more than 3 times.

He lied and gave the operators false information to get police there more quickly.

Does that about sum it up?

rscottie

If I came home and my front door was busted in, I would not enter without police backup.

Why? Well, because I would not have the tactical advantage. Clearing a home that may be occupied by unknown assailants is not as easy as they make it look on TV. And, I am not Rambo.

And legally, if this man had been armed and went in to the home to clear it himself, then had to shoot someone, he may get prosecuted because they could argue that he should have waited on the police. They would say he had no legitimate reason to enter the home and that he had brought the danger upon himself.

So, here he is, standing with his mom trying to console her and the police will not show up. I can understand his frustration.

He should fight this ticket.

stainless1911

Banned
I dont see the prosecution being successful at all, he has the legal right to be in his home, there is no duty to retreat, all that he needs is the belief that he is in imminent fear of life or limb. Sure, it doesnt look good, but it's legal.

Last edited:

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
About Westland PD

I can only relay what others I personally know have to say about this department & its chief. They have some very good officers in the field and many are knowledgeable when it comes to not only the law, but also common courtesy. However there are a few bad apples that make life difficult as there often are in all organizations. As proof provided here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2xOpF4z_v0 as the officer describes OCers "as a bunch of glory fighters". Then threatens to lock up the LEGAL OCer after he issues him a ticket for brandishing a holstered pistol. The chief is described as being against citizens carrying weapons for protection. When his officers "bend" the law he has issued memos, yet every year at minimum we seem to have some "wrinkle" with them and OC.

This being the case, make your judgments about them.

Ezerharden

Well as an "unarmed" security officer I was assaulted one night and spent almost 2 hours waiting for any kind of response, to include an ambulance. I can see this guy's frustration. I hope he nails them to the wall over this one.

Last edited:

hopnpop

If I came home and my front door was busted in, I would not enter without police backup.

Why? Well, because I would not have the tactical advantage. Clearing a home that may be occupied by unknown assailants is not as easy as they make it look on TV. And, I am not Rambo.

And legally, if this man had been armed and went in to the home to clear it himself, then had to shoot someone, he may get prosecuted because they could argue that he should have waited on the police. They would say he had no legitimate reason to enter the home and that he had brought the danger upon himself.

That's where the Castle Doctrine should protect him. He's got a legal right to be there, and no duty to retreat. Whether entering is the wisest course of action or not, he should be legally covered.

rscottie

That's where the Castle Doctrine should protect him. He's got a legal right to be there, and no duty to retreat. Whether entering is the wisest course of action or not, he should be legally covered.

I do not know what his Castle Doctrine protections are in his state. But, I can see an overzealous prosecutor going after someone that Enters a building where it could be argued that they should wait for the police. You know, blame the victim for escalating the issue by going in.

As I was saying about my house, I would not enter without backup, especially if a burglar had been in there for some time. Why? Well, if he had figured out how to pry open my gun cabinet, he would be very well armed. I do not have the big fire type safe but the one I have would take a large prybar and a lot of work, but it could be breached with determination.

It would suck to get shot with your own shotgun....

PistolPackingMomma

I do not know what his Castle Doctrine protections are in his state. But, I can see an overzealous prosecutor going after someone that Enters a building where it could be argued that they should wait for the police. You know, blame the victim for escalating the issue by going in.

As I was saying about my house, I would not enter without backup, especially if a burglar had been in there for some time. Why? Well, if he had figured out how to pry open my gun cabinet, he would be very well armed. I do not have the big fire type safe but the one I have would take a large prybar and a lot of work, but it could be breached with determination.

It would suck to get shot with your own shotgun....

In that situation, I would hope my lawyer would correctly point out that the police have no duty/responsibility/obligation to protect us. They clean up crimes, rather than solve them.So, waiting 20-120 minutes for police to possibly respond may be wiser, but not the only solution. I'm not advocating clearing the house alone with just your side arm; just pointing out it's not the cop's duty to make sure your house is safe for you to enter.