• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Recording Police Detainment

g17585

Is it legal to record a police encounter In New Hampshire (audio, video or both)? I have looked at the laws and it is very complicated as to what is legal. I've also heard that NH is a two-party consent state but I don't know for sure. I have also seen videos on YouTube of police stop recordings so it seems legal but, again, I'm not sure.

Thank you.

doobie

Is it legal to record a police encounter In New Hampshire (audio, video or both)? I have looked at the laws and it is very complicated as to what is legal. I've also heard that NH is a two-party consent state but I don't know for sure. I have also seen videos on YouTube of police stop recordings so it seems legal but, again, I'm not sure.

Thank you.

It is legal to record government employees in the course of their duty, however you'll may become threatened, arrested, and charged. However charges will likely be dropped at some point and you won't likely get convicted.

Fallschirjmäger

It's illegal to record a LEO without his consent. You have to inform him/her you are recording and they can tell you to shut it off and you have to comply.
The gentleman may wish to research what Judge Edward Tenney ruled in the William Alleman case when he was charged with wiretapping as a result of his encounter with Officer Brandon Montplaisir during the traffic stop on July 10, 2010.
Oh, and please peruse Glik v. Cunniffe.

Last edited:

Fallschirjmäger

You're right, that changed without me knowing. That's good to know! Sorry about that misinformation, please disregard it.
What? Ya din' do nuthin' wrong. :)
It's not that anything changed really, but it did finally take a court case to explain that "... exhibiting an expectation that such communication is not subject to interception under circumstances justifying such expectation..." meant that unless there was an expectation of privacy then the wiretapping rule did not apply.

Last edited:

Fallschirjmäger

Doing a web-search for the parties involved did not produce any returns I could cite, so I wrote to Mr. Seth Hipple, the attorney involved in the case above. I was heartened by his response.
"...Mr. Unpronounceable Name,

Ah, yes, OCDO. I met many of the people involved in founding that forum when I was in law school in Virginia.

The order is public record so there are no confidentiality issues with me sending it to you. It is attached. Of course, for my own protection, I must tell you that I'm not your attorney, nothing in this e-mail is legal advice, and this e-mail doesn't create a lawyer-client relationship.

Regards,
--
Seth J. Hipple, Esq...."

And the text of the attached:
NHvAlleman1.png

NHvAlleman2.png

NHvAlleman3.png

I tried to copy and paste from the .pdf file but was unsuccessful, sorry.

Last edited:

ScottNH

Doing a web-search for the parties involved did not produce any returns I could cite, so I wrote to Mr. Seth Hipple, the attorney involved in the case above. I was heartened by his response.

And the text of the attached:
NHvAlleman1.png

NHvAlleman2.png

NHvAlleman3.png

I tried to copy and paste from the .pdf file but was unsuccessful, sorry.

Thank you for posting this. It is extremely helpful.