• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Vacationing in Myrtle Beach - need clarification

Steeler-gal

I am a VA resident and I have my CHP for Virginia.
This summer I will be going to Myrtle Beach, SC for a few days. I want to make sure I know the law before I carry my firearms with me to my vacation spot. I checked on the opencarry.org maps and on the SC LED site.

Section 16-23-20 (9) and (12)
It seems open carry is only permitted with a loaded firearm “in your car but only in a glove box or console.” – this is “open”? :banghead:

SC does have reciprocity with VA for concealed carry, which means I do not need to stow my firearm in my glovebox or console while driving or as a passenger in a vehicle.

According to another thread I read that:
In SC you can't carry in ANY business that sells alcohol for the purpose of consumption on it's premises. It's very frustrating that no one is allowed to protect themselves or their family, legally, if they want to go out to eat.

So I CANNOT carry OC anywhere but I can carry concealed while I am there. I cannot carry OC or CC into any restaurant/bar that serves alcohol.

Is this correct? Would anyone be willing to check my links and let me know if I’ve read or interpreted any of this incorrectly?

Thanks!

OC for ME

Just carry a fishing pole around with you. You're at the beach....
SECTION 16-23-20. Unlawful carrying of handgun; exceptions. It is unlawful for anyone to carry about the person any handgun, whether concealed or not, except as follows, unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law:(4) licensed hunters or fishermen who are engaged in hunting or fishing or going to or from their places of hunting or fishing while in a vehicle or on foot;
https://www.ronco.com/products/pocket-fisherman.html

It has a loop for hanging of of your holster so as to not interfere with your draw.

hp-hobo

I am a VA resident and I have my CHP for Virginia.
This summer I will be going to Myrtle Beach, SC for a few days. I want to make sure I know the law before I carry my firearms with me to my vacation spot. I checked on the opencarry.org maps and on the SC LED site.

Section 16-23-20 (9) and (12)
It seems open carry is only permitted with a loaded firearm “in your car but only in a glove box or console.” – this is “open”? :banghead:

SC does have reciprocity with VA for concealed carry, which means I do not need to stow my firearm in my glovebox or console while driving or as a passenger in a vehicle.

According to another thread I read that:

So I CANNOT carry OC anywhere but I can carry concealed while I am there. I cannot carry OC or CC into any restaurant/bar that serves alcohol.

Is this correct? Would anyone be willing to check my links and let me know if I’ve read or interpreted any of this incorrectly?

Thanks!
SG, please disregard the previous "advice". Open carry is generally unlawful in SC. There are provisions for doing so while hunting and fishing, but doing what you were told above will just get you dumped in jail. Anyone who would hang you out like that is an idiot.

You are correct in your understanding that you cannot CC into any establishment thet sells alcohol for on premises consumption. You are incorrect about OC in your car. You may lawfully CC in your vehicle. Anyone who may lawfully possess a firearm can also put their sidearm in the glove box or console as long as it is closed. You do not need a permit to do so.

Finally, even though you didn't ask, let me throw two other things at you. First, SC is a must inform state, so if a cop asks you for identification you have to produce your CWP at the same time. Second, carry in any publically owned building is unlawful. Be careful where you go with your gun. And enjoy your stay.

P.S. Good thing I checked your links before hitting submit. The SLED website is unreliable - they do not update it on a timely basis. A much better place to read the laws are linked below.

http://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t16c023.php

http://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t23c031.php

OC for ME

http://scstatehouse.gov/code/t23c031.php

23-31-215 (K) A permit holder must have his permit identification card in his possession whenever he carries a concealable weapon. <snip>
As is with most state laws regarding CCW, it is very important that you cross reference any laws that may apply to a given situation. Do a little homework on where you will be, what you will be doing during your stay, bounce that with the applicable/law and plan accordingly.

You do not have to inform anyone that you have a permit if you are not 'armed' while in your vehicle or on your person.

Steeler-gal

P.S. Good thing I checked your links before hitting submit. The SLED website is unreliable - they do not update it on a timely basis. A much better place to read the laws are linked below.

Thanks for your response and for checking my links.
I appreciate the advice and guidance.