• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Victims fighting back with firearms

ocholsteroc

http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/local_...rms?ref=scroller&categoryId=20000&status=true

Victims fighting back with firearms

Updated: Monday, 09 Jan 2012, 7:42 PM EST
Published : Monday, 09 Jan 2012, 7:42 PM EST

HAMPTON ROADS, Va. (WAVY) - In the past few weeks, several victims in Hampton Roads have shot their attackers in an effort to protect themselves.

Just last week, a clerk at a Virginia Beach 7-Eleven shot a teenage boy who was allegedly trying to rob the store.

Blake Richardson later showed up at an area hospital later with a gunshot wound.

A new report says gun sales are surging in the state, but gun control advocates say the numbers could be misleading.

The statistics used to gage the number of gun-sales in Virginia last year are based on the number of mandatory background checks.

State police reported 321,166 gun transactions in 2011, processing almost 42,000 in the month of Dec. alone.

Gun-control advocates say the transactions don't necessarily represent sales.

Josh Horowitz, Executive Director of the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence , said, "...it's background checks, it really tells you very little about sales...for instance, if you're in a situation where you put your money down to buy a gun and the background check comes back negative, you can't purchase that gun."

Horowitz says some of the so-called "gun transactions" have nothing to do with purchasing a new firearm.

"...there's lots of permit checks. So, when people either get a concealed carry permit or when the state checks them on a regular basis that number comes out. And that's about five, over five million," Horowitz explained.

Nationally, a record 16.4 million firearms background checks were processed last year. Almost two million in Dec. alone.

But, when you combine that statistic with the fact that there have been three incidents in the last 11 days of private citizens in Hampton Roads shooting alleged robber you have to wonder if there isn't a trend.

Virginia Beach Commonwealth's Attorney Harvey Bryant said, "I think a lot of people have armed themselves to protect themselves. Ah, the law has also provided protections for people in their homes."

A little more than a week ago, a man in Virginia Beach shot an intruder in his home and no charges were filed.

"If a person comes in with a deadly weapon in an aggressive manner, most people are gonna feel like they're in fear of serious bodily harm and the law entitles them to protect them self with deadly force," Harvey explained.

But, Harvey hopes buying a gun for protection isn't a new local trend. He says these things usually come in cycles, but he does not expect to see a wave of citizens suddenly gunning down criminals.

Gun advocates add that some of the background checks are done on people trying to buy their guns back from a pawn shop and don't represent new sales.

VApatriot

And not a bad exposure of Josh Horowitz as the fool he is.:banana:

stay safe.

Yeah. What the heck does this even mean?

Horowitz says some of the so-called "gun transactions" have nothing to do with purchasing a new firearm.

"...there's lots of permit checks. So, when people either get a concealed carry permit or when the state checks them on a regular basis that number comes out. And that's about five, over five million," Horowitz explained.

TFred

I dunno, I think this guy is trying awful hard to be the "loser" of this story:

But, [Virginia Beach Commonwealth's Attorney] Harvey [Bryant] hopes buying a gun for protection isn't a new local trend. He says these things usually come in cycles, but he does not expect to see a wave of citizens suddenly gunning down criminals.​

(And BTW, what reporter references a person by their first name later in the article? Wow... this really is a horrible article.)

TFred

VApatriot

The Antis seem to make things up

This seems as good a thread as any to bring up something that Ed shared on the "Lobby Day" facebook page.

From anti-gunner Andrew Goddard:

Dear Friends of Virginia Center for Public Safety,

The 2012 Virginia General Assembly is about to convene and VACPS is ramping up its efforts in preparation for one of its most important activities, which is working to ensure that extremist elements of the pro gun lobby are prevented from removing the last few laws designed to minimize gun violence. With only 10% of the expected bills currently filed, we already face 11 very bad gun bills. We can only hope that this trend does not continue with the remaining 90%! As you may know, the November elections saw two "pro-gun" Democratic Senators replaced by two new "pro-gun" Republican candidates, which might seem like an insignificant change in relation to the Assemblies position on guns, but that is not the case. While the debate over the balance between gun rights and responsibilities is not really a partisan issue, our efforts have been assisted in recent years by a slight Democratic majority in the Senate, which has managed to defeat most of the radical bills that have been proposed. Now that majority has vanished and an evenly divided Senate will make the task of moderating the somewhat extreme ambitions of the House a lot more difficult. As usual, we will kick off our legislative season with a rally and vigil on Martin Luther King Day in Richmond . The day's activities will start at 12:15 with a detailed legislative briefing at Centenary United Baptist Church at 411 Grace Street followed by a Vigil on the Capitol grounds to commemorate the more than 800 Virginians that no longer have a voice which can be heard by our elected leaders, due to the fact that they died from gunshot wounds in the last year. Please join is on our Lobby Day if you can, but if not, please continue to follow us online , where we will try to keep a record of progress during the session. Gun Violence is not inevitable; we the people of this great Commonwealth have the power and the responsibility to take action to reduce the misuse of firearms in our communities. We, as a state and as a nation, are paying too high a price, both in lives and in suffering, due to the serious imbalance between rights and the civic responsibilities that should accompany those rights. I look forward to seeing many of you on Lobby Day and thank you all for your continued support for VACPS.

Sincerely
Andrew L. Goddard
President, VACPS

I ask, where in the hell did he come up with the number of more that 800 Virginians dying from gunshot wounds last year alone? I couldn't find Virginia homicide totals for 2011, but the total was 369 in 2010. National averages for violent crimes were down last year across the board, so it is reasonable to assume that the number of murders in Virginia in 2011 was close to, if not lower than, the 2010 total. That total obviously includes all murders, and not just those that were committed with guns. So, Goddard is expecting us to believe that there were 500 or more accidental shooting death, in Virginia alone, in 2011? I could be wrong, but I call BS.

Incidentally, the 2010 total of homicides was the 2nd lowest total since 1969. And, in terms of murder-rate based on population, 2010 had the lowest rate recorded in the stats I checked, which went back to 1960. So much for all of VCDL's work to relax VA gun laws causing blooded to run in the streets.

Stats found here: http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/vacrime.htm

Last edited:

R50FJ60

If people would stop being eh-holes and cease committing crimes, then maybe they wouldn't be getting shot at by those who don't like what they are doing.
How is this so hard to understand by antigun nuts? SMH
Love this site, so good to know i'm not the only one that feels that criminals should be met with equal (if not greater) force when it comes to self defense. People ask me why I think citizens should be allowed to carry, and my fav thing to say is "because if they want to steal from me, i'll make them work for it, damnit!"
Sorry if this was off topic.
On topic, it seems that there are a reocurring number of incidents and stuff in the Norfolk area(s).
Maybe that should tell the anti's that there is a CRIME problem, not a GUN problem.

USNA69

On topic, it seems that there are a reocurring number of incidents and stuff in the Norfolk area(s).
Maybe that should tell the anti's that there is a CRIME problem, not a GUN problem.

I can confirm that Norfolk store-front break-ins have increased severalfold in the last few weeks. Four within a 1/2 mile of my home; two of them were hit twice in that period. The MO is to launch a cinderblock through the window, then wait and see if there is any response. When there is none, the BGs return a few hours later and enter. Plate glass contractors are getting rich.

PistolPackingMomma

If people would stop being eh-holes and cease committing crimes, then maybe they wouldn't be getting shot at by those who don't like what they are doing.
How is this so hard to understand by antigun nuts? SMH
Love this site, so good to know i'm not the only one that feels that criminals should be met with equal (if not greater) force when it comes to self defense. People ask me why I think citizens should be allowed to carry, and my fav thing to say is "because if they want to steal from me, i'll make them work for it, damnit!"
Sorry if this was off topic.

+1

gm2max

three shootings in 11 days, all to prevent crimes. When will the thugs, gangsters, and criminals learn that people dont take that kind of crap? when I was in VA, I carried my glock on my hip, and a .357 mag revolver in my weak side jacket pocket.

GreatDaneMan

three shootings in 11 days, all to prevent crimes. When will the thugs, gangsters, and criminals learn that people dont take that kind of crap? when I was in VA, I carried my glock on my hip, and a .357 mag revolver in my weak side jacket pocket.

Are you saying you are no longer in Ptown?

markmopar

"Just last week, a clerk at a Virginia Beach 7-Eleven shot a teenage boy who was allegedly trying to rob the store."

Sooooo, if you're 18 and old enough to vote or join the Military or any number of other things requiring one to be an adult, you're still "a teenage boy"?