• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

National Operations Center Media Monitoring Initiative

HandyHamlet

Freedom of speech might allow journalists to get away with a lot in America, but the Department of Homeland Security is on the ready to make sure that the government is keeping dibs on who is saying what.

http://rt.com/usa/news/homeland-security-journalists-monitoring-321/

http://www.fastcompany.com/1805773/...cks-payment-app-launches-in-the-uk-google-mak

DHS Discloses NOC Monitoring Initiative. In a document posted to the Department of Homeland Security's website, the agency confirmed the existence of an extensive media monitoring program. Since at least 2010, DHS has been collecting personally identifiable information on "anchors, newscasters, or on-scene reporters who are known or identified as reporters in their post or article or who use traditional and/or social media in real time to keep their audience situationally aware and informed" and "current and former public officials who are victims of incidents or activities related to Homeland Security." In-house media monitoring reports created by DHS are also being shared with private sector and international partners. --NU

http://www.pdfdownload.org/pdf2html...vacy_privcomrev_ops_monitoring_initiative.pdf

Screenshot2012-01-10at124908AM.png

since9

Campaign Veteran
One item from the first link is of particularly note:

"Previously established guidelines within the administration say that data could only be collected under authorization set forth by written code, but the new provisions in the NOC’s write-up means that any reporter, whether someone along the lines of Walter Cronkite or a budding blogger, can be victimized by the agency."

The reason it's noteworthy is that it identifies any poster as a "reporter," thereby creating a legal precedent with respect to the definition of the term "Press."

I'll have to keep this directive in my pocket should law enforcement ever tell me I'm not a member of the "press." I can respond, "according to the Department of Homeland Security, via their National Operations Center (NOC)’s Media Monitoring Initiative, I most certainly am a member of the press."

The flipside, however, is that one's honest comments intended for friends can be abused so as to railroad them.