Thread: Quote bythe late Thomas Jefferson...

Quote bythe late Thomas Jefferson...

"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery "
    In Latin...Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Founder's Club Member
    Do you have a citation to the original Jefferson source, say, a letter from him to a contemporary or something?

I ask because I've come across a lot of Jefferson quotes, but not this one. And, if yours is really a Jefferson quote, its a lot shorter than the next nearest version which goes (paraphrase) "I would rather experience the inconveniences that attend liberty than the dangers that attend too little." Or, something along those lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Do you have a citation to the original Jefferson source, say, a letter from him to a contemporary or something?

I ask because I've come across a lot of Jefferson quotes, but not this one. And, if yours is really a Jefferson quote, its a lot shorter than the next nearest version which goes (paraphrase) "I would rather experience the inconveniences that attend liberty than the dangers that attend too little." Or, something along those lines.
    I can't remember the website... it was one for quotes that famous people have said. Personnally i think it might have been an interpation of the Latin qoute he mention and that was probabaly a translation. But at least I added the Latin part.

Founder's Club Member
    Another poster PM'd me with a cite. I thought it so worthwhile--both the original letter and the website--that I am posting a link below.

http://www.monticello.org/site/jeffe...very-quotation

Another poster PM'd me with a cite. I thought it so worthwhile--both the original letter and the website--that I am posting a link below.

http://www.monticello.org/site/jeffe...very-quotation
    Cool, thanks! Glad to see that it is a confirmed quote. I really like Jefferson and I really like this quote.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Jefferson to James Madison, January 30, 1787

In PTJ, 11:92-3. Letterpress copy available online from the Library of Congress.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________

"The problem with Internet quotes is that no one has verified the source" -- Abraham Lincoln