• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

State preemption

J_Oliver

So as I'm reading through the freshly passed laws, I happen to notice something about state preemption. Does the new law now allow OC on public sidewalks in chapel hill and carry? Or am I reading into this wrong?

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Large Caliber Kick

Mooresville, North Carolina, United States
As I understand it, Chapel Hill doesn't prohibit carry other than their six inch rule to keep people from toting 'saturday night specials' or 'snubbies'. Cary on the other hand is a quagmire that I will let somebody else explain. I've read somewhere that according to their police chief they have relaxed a little, but I can't find proof that they have modified their laws at all.

chiefjason

Mike

Site Co-Founder
Yes, the Chapel Hill ordinance fits within State v. Kerner (no open carry ban or licensing requirmeent on military sized handguns). State v. Kerner is essentially an open carry preemption mechanism in addition to state statutory preemption.

J_Oliver

Yes, the Chapel Hill ordinance fits within State v. Kerner (no open carry ban or licensing requirmeent on military sized handguns). State v. Kerner is essentially an open carry preemption mechanism in addition to state statutory preemption.

Now the size requirement makes sense. Thanks mike!

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk