• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is telling the truth on this site considered bashing?

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
Being on this forum is a privilege, not a right. Just like a business who's policies you may not like, you are free to decide whether or not to patronize this forum. "The rules is the rules". That being said, we are offered WAY more latitude here than most places on the net. I didn't read your post before it was deleted but chances are you were a little too aggressive with the "truth" in order that it was considered bashing. I've seen many posts here questioning some policies of the NRA that weren't deleted.

ETA: And if you have a problem with an admin/mod action; it would probably be best to PM them instead of posting like this.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
The simple fact is that the site owners consider it inappropriate to criticize other gun rights organizations in some ways. Its their site; if they don't want it, its theirs to say.

I'd be damned if I'd pay for a site to let others say things I didn't want on my site, regardless of the reason I didn't want it.

If you don't want to accept that and continue to argue the point, fine. Nobody much is gonna support you, though, because it is plain you'd rather argue your hurt feelings or whatever than recognize the private property rights of the owners.

As the earlier poster said, some single critical comments that nail a specific seem to be either not disapproved or maybe the mods don't see them.

But, broader, run-on criticism taking up an entire post, or even starting a thread to criticize is gonna get locked or deleted.

VW_Factor

While its true that in the past the NRA negotiated and support some forms of gun control, that does not negate from the facts that this forum is a privately owned entity and its owners can and shall do with it what they wish.

Perhaps make a blog?

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Take the advice of the others above (all of whom have more experience on this site than you). If you have a concern with a specific member the appropriate response is to PM that member to potentially resolve the situation. You will get nowhere by hanging out dirty laundry for everyone to see.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Perhaps you should re-read the rules. You may have missed this one.

(2) RIGHT TO EDIT AND DELETE POSTS: We reserve the right to edit or remove posts for any reason, at any time, at our sole discretion.

The point is that you agreed to follow the forum rules. Moderators seek to enforce those rules. They have the discretion in deciding whether or not a thread is appropriate. This site has one administrator an multiple moderators. If you feel a moderator has acted out of turn then simply PM Administrator and express your concerns there. I will simply end by pointing out that it is a privilege to post on this site, not a right.

Last edited:

HandyHamlet

I have followed the rules:

Yes, but you did not fill out and submit in triplicate the following:

hurt-feelings-report.jpg

PistolPackingMomma

That is why I am being told this is private property by some who obviously have no understanding of common law and private property as defined in law

Have many friends, do you?
Perhaps you would like to link us to the law that defines a website as public property?

Beretta92FSLady

Where exactly do you think I said this website is public property?

You did kinda put this little bit in, bringing up public, and private property in the context of this discussion: "That is why I am being told this is private property by some who obviously have no understanding of common law and private property as defined in law"

Although you didn't directly state it, you did bring up private, and public property in this discussion.

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
You did kinda put this little bit in, bringing up public, and private property in the context of this discussion: "That is why I am being told this is private property by some who obviously have no understanding of common law and private property as defined in law"

Although you didn't directly state it, you did bring up private, and public property in this discussion.

+1. You know you're wrong when Beretta is agreeing with everyone else in the thread...lol

PistolPackingMomma

Where exactly do you think I said this website is public property?

If this website is private property, your 1A rights are not applicable in the context of saying whatever you want without repercussion or moderation.

What you said
That is why I am being told this is private property by some who obviously have no understanding of common law and private property as defined in law
indicates that you do not believe this is private property, and that those who have told you otherwise do not have any understanding of the law.

Since we apparently have no understanding of common law and private property laws, please, illuminate us. I'm sure it will be quite a post.:rolleyes:

William Fisher

Freedom of speech is not the freedom to be heard.
I guess some people who don't think the administrater of this site has the right to decide what gets posted, also don't think they have the right to send THEIR Emails they receive from certain sites to SPAM or Block them from sending further Emails. After all why would they think that's their decision.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Hey, fellas,

If we give him the benefit of the doubt--that his post was in line with the rules--then I think he has a potentially valid beef.

While the mods do have authority to delete anything for any reason or no reason as a matter of property rights, it does not shield them from criticism. For example, I've seen warnings by a mod wherein the mod was stretching a rule--essentially formulating a new rule. When called out on it, he gave the lame response about reserving the right to delete anything. That was a valid legal point; but it most certainly does not stand up to logic and reason. Either the mod is or is not being arbitrary. Either he can or he can't explain his actions in line with his rules. If he has to resort to "any reason", then he can't really defend his action, can he? Meaning he just made it up as he went along.

So, I'm inclined to stop pushing back against the OPer. The rules say what they say about bashing other gun rights organizations. If he didn't, he has a legitimate complaint. And, every right to call out the mods for giving him a false impression that the rules would be applied and allowing him to waste his time composing a post.

If the mods can defend it, great. If they have to resort to "any reason", well, then we'll know it was an arbitrary misapplication of the no-bashing gun organizations rule. If they don't defend it and stay mum, well, then we'll never know for sure.

But, maybe the mods will pay attention to the next sentence:

Having seen arbitrary misapplication myself in other circumstances, I am very inclined to give the OPer the benefit of the doubt for the moment. Meaning, if the mods hadn't played arbitrary games a few times in the past, I wouldn't have any reason to have any doubts about them this time.

Dreamer

The administrator has accused me of bashing the NRA for pointing out the truth about the NRA. I looked up bashing just to make sure that was not what I was doing.

In a word, YES.

If the group you are addressing is one of the "protected groups" on this site, then you may not reveal negative actions by them to the members of this site. I've had entire threads "memory holed" because some member of a "protected group" didn't like what I had to say about their ineffective, counterproductive, and often money-grubbing tactics.

Yes, even on a 2A-rights advocacy web forum, we have our own version of "political correctness".

Tread lightly. Egos are fragile here...

okiebryan

Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
Remember the other day when I defended the OP because of the way he was being treated?

Apparently you guys saw something that I was too naive to recognize. I take it back.

denied, if you don't like the way this side is moderated, feel free to go start your own. This is not your website, and you don't get to set the rules. If there's an over/under going on, I say 48 hours till the ban.