• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How is the $500,000,000 firearms ban and buy back working in Australia?

Haz.

Lets take a look at the last six months from August 2011 to january 2012.

Sydney only. This does not take in any other city or town.

Sydney shoot-out: bullets fly from cars after fight
STEPHANIE GARDINER
11 Jan, 2012 06:47 AM

Shots have been fired between two cars after a fight at an intersection in Sydney's west this morning, with several bullets hitting a nearby house.

In the third shooting this week, the occupants of a blue Toyota and a white sedan shot at each other on Mimosa Road, Greenfield Park, about 2am, police said.

Do you know more? Message 0424 SMS SMH (+61 424 767 764) or email us with information or images.

Police believed there was some kind of fight at the intersection of Greenfield Road and Mimosa Road, which is close to a service station, restaurants, a shopping centre and several houses.

Both cars sped off along Mimosa Road towards Wetherill Park after the shoot-out.

Police were called and found that several bullets had been shot through a house, but none of the residents were injured.

A blue Toyota believed to be involved in the shooting was found an hour later in Crosio Place, Bonnyrigg, and was seized by police.

The shooting followed two drive-bys in Auburn and Arncliffe on Monday night, which may be linked to drug dealing in the St George area, police said.

Those shootings were being investigated by the Middle Eastern Organised Crime Squad.

A NSW Police spokesman said it was too early to say whether the drive-bys were linked to today's shooting.

"It would be one of a number of lines of inquiry we're following," he said.

Police asked anyone with information to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

Recent shootings in Sydney:

January 9 - Shots were fired into a house on Marion Street, Auburn about 9.45pm. Ten minutes later, shots were fired into a house on Fairview Street, Arncliffe. The Middle Eastern Organised Crime Squad were investigating whether the shootings were linked to drug dealing in the St George area.

January 4 - Lone Wolf bikie, Neal Todorovski, 37, was shot dead outside a Sans Souci apartment block.

January 1 - Matthew Hedges, a 25-year-old father of four, was shot in the chest and died, while two of his children slept beside him in Chester Hill.

December 5 - A father and his teenage son escaped injury after a shot was fired into a house in Mount Pritchard.

November 26 - Shots fired on Charles Street, Petersham.

November 25 - Shots fired at house on Kingarth Street, Busby.

November 24 - Shots fired at house on Nash Street, South Penrith.

November 24 - Shots fired at business on Cleveland and Walker streets, Redfern.

November 10 - Shots fired at house on Nineveh Crescent, Greenfield Park.

November 6 - Shots fired at house on Stevens Street, Ermington.

October 27 - November 3 - Six drive-by shootings across Sydney's west, believed to involve the Hells Angels and Nomads gangs.

October 21 - Man dies after he was shot in the head inside a house in French Street, Maroubra.

October 18 - Shots fired at a house on Walker Street, Turrella.

October 3 - Man charged after allegedly shooting at another man on Pickwick Way, Ambarvale.

September 30 - Man charged after an alleged drive-by shooting on Victoria Street, Botany.

September 29 - Police officers shot and killed man outside Castle Hill police station.

September 26 - Teenager shot by police in his home in Holmes Street, Colyton, following reported break-in.

September 26 - Man charged with murder following shooting death of man at Bonnyrigg the day before.

September 6 - Shots fired at a house in Revesby in south-west Sydney.

September 6 - Shots fired at a unit in Eden Street, Arncliffe.

September 5 - Man found in Bursill Street, Guildford, with a shotgun wound to his upper thigh.

August 30 - Up to a dozen shots fired between two cars in Greenacre.

August 25 - Bullet holes found in a car on Lackey Street, Merrylands.

August 24 - Bullets hit a house on Francis Street, Fairfield.

August 22 - Pizza shop hit on Merrylands Road, Merrylands.

August 22 - Two men shot in Barcom Street, Merrylands, in domestic dispute.

August 23 - Bullets hit a house on Lachlan Street, Bossley Park.

August 21 - Bullets hit a house on Eddy Street, Merrylands West.

August 20 - Bullets hit a hairdressing salon on Harris Street, Fairfield.

August 19 - Bullets hit a house on Mallacoota Street, Wakeley, near Fairfield.

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/na...rom-cars-after-fight/2416004.aspx?storypage=2

Last edited:

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
Hi Haz,

How is our lonely resident Aussie? I once again commend you for trying to fight the good fight down under.

Are there any Australian pro-firearms forums that you are a part of? It would be interesting reading those sometime and see how it's viewed over there.

Haz.

Hi Brass Magnet.

Yes, there are a few and hopefully although slowly we are getting the message across. As allways there are some on these forums who show us in a bad light even if unintentionally.

http://www.australianhunting.net/index.php?action=forum

http://www.shootersparty.org.au/sho...ld-be-mandatory-for-Australian-schoolchildren

Sam lee is the head of the gun control lobby down under. Alwas whining and crying when ever firearms are used in crime? Even overseas.

http://www.australianhunting.net/index.php?topic=104538.new;topicseen#new

Last edited:

Haz.

Now this convicted baby bashing num nut is fined a princly sum of $700 for advertising a STOLEN UNREGISTERED AND NOT PROPERLY SECURED firearm on facebook.

According to NSW Law;

"According to NSW Law for the charge of Possession of unregistered firearm in a public place,
The maximum penalty for the charge of possess unregistered firearm in a public place (Section 93I of the Crimes Act) is 10 years imprisonment."

That $700 fine should go a long way in detering criminals. Haz.

CONVICTED baby basher Patrick Baskin has been fined $700 after he advertised a stolen gun for sale on Facebook.

Baskin, of Paterson Ave North Geelong, pleaded guilty to being a prohibited person in possession of a firearm after police searched his room on May 17, 2010.

Police prosecutor Sergeant Peter Beard said the .22 calibre rifle was in an unlocked locker in a bedroom Baskin had been living in since February, the Geelong Advertiser reports.

He told the court the gun had been stolen from a Corio home on September 15, 2009.

Police also tendered photos of screen grabs showing how Baskin advertised the gun for sale on his Facebook page on May 4, 2010 for $1000.

Sgt Beard said Baskin told police he was "just selling it (the gun) for my father".

In November 2010, Baskin was found guilty of recklessly causing injury to an 18-month-old baby and received a six-month intensive corrections order.

But in April 2011, he breached the order and was jailed.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/breaking-new...ok/story-e6frfku0-1226241373929#ixzz1j5xsPLwg

Not only was this baby bashing porhibited unlicenced num nut Trying to sell a stolen unregisterd firearm, he never had it stored correctly according to firearms safety laws.

According to NSW Law;
"
According to NSW Law for the charge of Safe keeping of firearms,
The maximum penalty for the charge of safe keeping of firearms (Section 39 of the Firearms Act) is a fine of 50 penalty units and/or 2 years imprisonment."

The $700 fine is about three weeks dole payments. That should put him in his place!

Last edited:

OldCurlyWolf

Hi Brass Magnet.

Yes, there are a few and hopefully although slowly we are getting the message across. As allways there are some on these forums who show us in a bad light even if unintentionally.

http://www.australianhunting.net/index.php?action=forum

http://www.shootersparty.org.au/sho...ld-be-mandatory-for-Australian-schoolchildren

Sam lee is the head of the gun control lobby down under. Alwas whining and crying when ever firearms are used in crime? Even overseas.

http://www.australianhunting.net/index.php?topic=104538.new;topicseen#new

Sam Lee was the name of the firearms instructor when I was in the Police Academy 34 years ago.

The direct opposite of your person of the same name.

Haz.

The $500,000,000 FAILED gun ban buy back is a total flop.

The $500,000,000 FAILED gun ban buy back seems to be picking up speed in the wrong direction! There were no drive by shootings and gang wars before the buyback? Since the buyback the average Sydney sider fells less safe every day. John Howard promised Australians that they would all be much safer and much better off without nasty firearms in the hands of ordinary citizens. Sadly Mr. Howard, criminals ignored you, never handed in one firearm and they now rule the streets.
Woman, four kids escape gunshots in Bankstown
by: Leigh van den Broeke From: The Daily Telegraph January 12, 2012 5:54AM

A BULLET came within centimetres of a two-month old sleeping in its cot in a shooting in south-west Sydney overnight.

Residents reported hearing gunshots on Weigand Avenue, Bankstown about 12.30am with locals seeing a man carrying a rifle on Carmen Street.

Police arrived at the scene and left the area after not finding any evidence of either report.

They returned about an hour later when a woman discovered a golf ball-sized bullet hole in the window.
in the bedroom window of her ground floor unit.

At the time of the shooting she was in the room with her four children whose ages vary from two months to 10-years-old.

No one was injured but the bullet came within centimetres of a two-month old sleeping in it's cot.

Police recovered the bullet at the scene after establishing a crime scene.

Time to end Sydney gang wars
WITH 47 drive-by shootings in Sydney since Barry O'Farrell became Premier the opposition wants an end to a "gangland war".
End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.
Detectives will continue their investigations today.

There have been 47 drive-by shootings in Sydney since the election of Barry O'Farrell last March.

Yesterday about 12 shots were exchanged between the occupants of two cars at Greenfield Park, in Sydney's southwest.

The Opposition has called on the government to find the will to end a "gangland war".

Gunshots

A number of people were in the bedroom at the time including a mother and children. Picture: Bill Hearne
Source: The Daily Telegraph

Middle Eastern organised crime squad head Detective Superintendent Deb Wallace defended the police’s inability to charge people over the shootings, saying investigations often lead prime suspects to be charged with other serious offences including armed robbery.

"It’s not the principle members of these groups prepared to do the shootings, they will have someone else prepared to do it for them," Ms Wallace told 2GB.

The motives for the shootings were not clear cut gang disputes, with some starting because simply "you looked at me in a stupid way," she said.

"It’s pathetic how some these attacks occur," she said.

"A lot of the people who are subject to these drive by shootings aren’t involved in criminal activity."

Recent related gun-crime:

Jan 11: Shots fired between two cars in Greenfield Park
Jan 10: Two drive-by shootings at Auburn and Arncliffe
Dec 06: Man and son escape injury after shots fired at house in Mt Pritchard
Nov 24: Shots fired at inner Sydney pub
Nov 07: Shootings from bikie dispute between the Nomads and the Hells Angels 'not a war'
Nov 06: Bikie disputes behind shootings in Sydney: police
Nov 06: Shooting at Ibrahim family home in Merrylands, Sydney
Nov 06: Botched hit began gang war in west
Nov 03: Police investigate a drive-by shooting in Hammers Road, Northmead
Nov 03: Home sprayed with bullets
Nov 04: Battle in suburbia - drive-by shootings on the rise (Google Map with locations)
Nov 01: Man charged over drive-by shooting
Oct 31: Drive-bys target gang family members
Oct 31: Shots fired in alleged Sydney brawl
Oct 30: Canley Heights, Holroyd and Granville homes hit in Sydney shooting spree
Oct 30: Several drive-by shooting attacks in Sydney suburbs in one night
Oct 28: Shots fired at a row of stores in western Sydney
Oct 01: Sydney home sprayed with bullets in drive-by shooting
Sep 26: Teenager shot in stomach by police at his home in Holmes Street, Colyton
Sep 26: Kim Mann charged with murder following shooting death of man at Bonnyrigg
Sep 14: Bikie link as house, car sprayed with bullets in drive-by shooting
Sep 06: Shots fired at Revesby
Sep 06: Shots fired at a unit in Eden Street, Arncliffe
Sep 06: Twelfth Sydney shooting in three weeks
Sep 06: Eleventh Sydney shooting in three weeks
Sep 05: Man shot in leg at Guildford in Sydney's west
Sep 05: More shots fired in Guildford
Sep 05: Shootings don't scare off buyers in Merrylands
Sep 05: Shootings don't scare me. Drive-by shooting suburb a real estate hot spot
Sep 05: Man found on in Bursill Street, Guildford with a shotgun wound
Sep 05: Man shot in leg at Guildford in Sydney's west
Aug 31: Three arrested after Greenacre shooting
Aug 30: Gun shots exchanged between two cars in Greenacre
Aug 28: Merrylands under rule of the gun
Aug 26: Socceroo target of drive-by in Sydney
Aug 25: Another day in Sydney - another shooting
Aug 25: Bullet holes found in a car on Lackey Street, Merrylands
Aug 24: Bullets hit house on Francis Street, Fairfield
Aug 24: Bullets fly again in city suburbs
Aug 23: Strikeforce formed over spate of Sydney shootings
Aug 23: Three escape injury after shots fired into Bossley Park home
Aug 23: Bullets hit house on Lachlan Street, Bossley Park
Aug 22: Pizza shop hit by bullets on Merrylands Road, Merrylands
Aug 22: Two men shot in Barcom Street, Merrylands
Aug 21: Bullets strike house on Eddy Street, Merrylands West
Aug 20: Bullets strike hairdressing salon on Harris Street, Fairfield
Aug 19: Bullets strike house on Mallacoota Street, Wakeley, near Fairfield
Jun 17: Two arrested over Sydney shooting
May 30: Detectives probe Sydney shooting at Casula

*Gun crime – Special Section
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...ots-in-bankstown/story-fn7y9brv-1226242239175

RogueWarrior

I'm glad I moved to the States when I was home Last Month I was talking to my nephew and he was saying that to get a handgun for target shooting takes about 15 months. What a joke the criminals do not care about the law :banghead:

since9

Campaign Veteran
Lets take a look at the last six months from August 2011 to january 2012.

Sidney is starting to sound an awful lot like New York, Chicago, and Washington D.C. - the top three of our most miserable anti-gun failed experiments.

Not working down there either, eh? It looks like things will have to get way worse before the people rise up and replace the people in power with those who have a clue.

Haz.

Hi since9.

Its not only Sydney. Its happening on the other side of our continent. Criminals as we know do not obey any law. Their even shooting up the speed camera newly installed. I wouldnt be surprised if it wasnt someone who had been clocked speeding?

"In the first five days of its operation, the camera snapped 20,000 drivers travelling over the speed limit, including one motorist allegedly clocked travelling at 199km/h."

Read More:

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/wes...rive-by-shooting/story-e6frg13u-1226243650943

matt2636

Hi since9.

Its not only Sydney. Its happening on the other side of our continent. Criminals as we know do not obey any law. Their even shooting up the speed camera newly installed. I wouldnt be surprised if it wasnt someone who had been clocked speeding?

Read More:

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/wes...rive-by-shooting/story-e6frg13u-1226243650943

i guess im gunna ask the stupid obvious question here but..... why would you give up your guns? i understand you wanna follow the law and be a good citizen. the question had to be learking in the back of your head "will we really be safer?" im not trying to be rude or anything i just dont understand why yall did just say no? even the brits they gave up theirs too. im just curious.

Haz.

i guess im gunna ask the stupid obvious question here but..... why would you give up your guns? i understand you wanna follow the law and be a good citizen. the question had to be learking in the back of your head "will we really be safer?" im not trying to be rude or anything i just dont understand why yall did just say no? even the brits they gave up theirs too. im just curious.

I didnt give up mine. I followed the law and still do. I am a law abiding citizen, always was and always will be. This fact is what I continually hammer home to many and various government ministers, state and federal. This government has nothing to fear from Law abiding citizens, whether they be armed or not.
I have owned and used firearms all my life. After seeing multiple thousands of firearm owners hand in their firearms, because the government tricked the majority into applying for a firearms licence making it necessary to be legally able to purchase ammunition, then knowing who had firearms forcing licenced owners to register their firearms they said after the Port Arthur tragedy; Were are now going to ban firearms. If you dont hand in your firearms, we will come and get them and fine the devil out of you and even jail you!, OR! if you can prove you are of good character, and be checked out by poilce to see if you have a criminal record, and if not, show us that you have a genuine reason to own said firearms, and if you are a sporting shooter, attend you sport regurlarly, 4 times per year for each catagory of firearm, then we will let you keep your firearms. But you cannot own a pump action shot gun, because Mr Howard, former prime minister, said they are too dangerous. But you can own a Winchester 44 mag. lever action, or any pump action centerfire rifle? Now you can see by that discision how much he knew about firearms.

I have witness many owners attend poilce stations and hand in firearms saying, "I have had enough, this is crazy, i'm not putting myself through this just to keep my firearms!"

So what was the final result of the tax payer funded Five Hundred Million Dollar, proved to be a complete failure, Gun Buy Back?
Honest Law abiding citizens handed in multiple thousands of firearms while the criminals sat back and laughed their heads off. I asked a Police officer friend of mine who took part in the buyback at one of the collection points in Sydney, "You know most of the criminals in this area and the fact that they do have firearms, How many have come forward and handed in their unregistered firearms?"

His reply to me was an emphatic; "NOT ONE MATE." Several amnesties later I asked the same question and recieved the same reply. "Not one mate."

Hence the situation we have not only in Sydney, but in every capitol city on the eastern and western sea board, while the coelition for gun control in Australia are freaking out calling for stricter gun laws??? I have a feeling in my bones that the tide might be ever so slowly, turning.

Last edited:

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
The only place in English-speaking countries formerly colonized by the English (excluding India -- although ranked 2nd in the world re: # of English-speakers there) where "The Liberties of Englishmen" (as Sir William Blackstone often referred to in his "Commentaries on the Laws of England," mid-1700s) still exist to some extent are not where they first took root -- in England (nor subsequently in the UK, Canada, Austrailia or New Zealand) -- but in England's "rebellious colony" America. But even here we're trying to get it ALL back...

I believe it was Austrailia's former Prime Minister Howard who said (1996?) "self defence is never an adequate reason to own or use a firearm." I guess lots of like-minded "liberal" Aussies -- the majority then (or else how could it have happened if the majority were NOT anti-gun liberals) accepted that view and (naively) turned-in their guns...and awaited the dawn of the warm & fuzzy (and "enlightened") New World.

I suspect lots of Aussie "conservatives" did not.

Last edited:

Haz.

The only place in English-speaking countries formerly colonized by the English (excluding India -- although ranked 2nd in the world re: # of English-speakers there) where "The Liberties of Englishmen" (as Sir William Blackstone often referred to in his "Commentaries on the Laws of England," mid-1700s) still exist to some extent are not where they first took root -- in England (nor subsequently in the UK, Canada, Austrailia or New Zealand) -- but in England's "rebellious colony" America. But even here we're trying to get it ALL back...

I believe it was Austrailia's former Prime Minister Howard who said (1996?) "self defence is never an adequate reason to own or use a firearm." I guess lots of like-minded "liberal" Aussies -- the majority then (or else how could it have happened if the majority were NOT anti-gun liberals) accepted that view and (naively) turned-in their guns...and awaited the dawn of the warm & fuzzy (and "enlightened") New World.

I suspect lots of Aussie "conservatives" did not.

Dont you just love cowardly politicians who make rules for others that they have no intention of obeying themselves? Dont do as I do, you do as I legislate!

John Howard did say that. I have a picture of John Howard using a firearm. He also had a gaggle of armed security men which followed his every move in public, and he also had armed guards stationed about his home. Now if as he said;
""self defence is never an adequate reason to own or use a firearm."
why did he have multiple Australian federal Police Guards, "who did carry firearms and were trained to use, and would have USED their firearms," to defend him and his family and they accompanied him everywhere he went and why did he have armed guards stationed at his home to protect him and his family?

John Howard even wore a bullet proof vest when speaking to Queensland farmers regarding the banning of their firearms. So, in his opinion, "self defence is never an adequate reason to own or use a firearm," But I John Howard will use armed guards trained to shoot and kill criminals who may attack me or my family, or invade my home, and I feel so secure in this wonderful land of dissarmed citizens, I will wear a bullet proof vest when I travel around the country.

Last edited:

matt2636

I didnt give up mine. I followed the law and still do. I am a law abiding citizen, always was and always will be. This fact is what I continually hammer home to many and various government ministers, state and federal. This government has nothing to fear from Law abiding citizens, whether they be armed or not.
I have owned and used firearms all my life. After seeing multiple thousands of firearm owners hand in their firearms, because the government tricked the majority into applying for a firearms licence making it necessary to be legally able to purchase ammunition, then knowing who had firearms forcing licenced owners to register their firearms they said after the Port Arthur tragedy; Were are now going to ban firearms. If you dont hand in your firearms, we will come and get them and fine the devil out of you and even jail you!, OR! if you can prove you are of good character, and be checked out by poilce to see if you have a criminal record, and if not, show us that you have a genuine reason to own said firearms, and if you are a sporting shooter, attend you sport regurlarly, 4 times per year for each catagory of firearm, then we will let you keep your firearms. But you cannot own a pump action shot gun, because Mr Howard, former prime minister, said they are too dangerous. But you can own a Winchester 44 mag. lever action, or any pump action centerfire rifle? Now you can see by that discision how much he knew about firearms.

I have witness many owners attend poilce stations and hand in firearms saying, "I have had enough, this is crazy, i'm not putting myself through this just to keep my firearms!"

So what was the final result of the tax payer funded Five Hundred Million Dollar, proved to be a complete failure, Gun Buy Back?
Honest Law abiding citizens handed in multiple thousands of firearms while the criminals sat back and laughed their heads off. I asked a Police officer friend of mine who took part in the buyback at one of the collection points in Sydney, "You know most of the criminals in this area and the fact that they do have firearms, How many have come forward and handed in their unregistered firearms?"

His reply to me was an emphatic; "NOT ONE MATE." Several amnesties later I asked the same question and recieved the same reply. "Not one mate."

Hence the situation we have not only in Sydney, but in every capitol city on the eastern and western sea board, while the coelition for gun control in Australia are freaking out calling for stricter gun laws??? I have a feeling in my bones that the tide might be ever so slowly, turning.

that's bat **** crazy

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
Haz,

I also find OUTRAGEOUS Austrailia's official policy to protect vermin and/or dangerous animals -- like roos and crocs -- at the expense of PEOPLE: Roos can destroy farmers' crops, but he'd better not go out with his trusty 303 Enfleld (if a farmer can even OWN a 303 anymore) and shoot the damn pests (no right to protect his/her property or livelihood). Likewise, crocs can kill/eat people in rivers and such, but people can't bring THEIR trusty 303s (if any) along to kill the damn things. And with official protection, these two species are growing in numbers and problems with them will increase as they spread their range.

Yes, we have that here, too, with PETA and others protecting bears -- it's okay for bears to kill people in parks/wilderness areas but it's not okay for people to bring arms to protect themselves -- or overpopulating pests like deer in people's yards destroyng their landscaping/crops. Or increasing numbers of coyotes/cougars (no, not predatory older women) in residential neighborhoods. And even elk get into people's yards. I say if they TRESPASS onto your property, they're yours: Shoot 'em, gut 'em and fire up the grill -- curbside delivery of meat -- it doesn't get any better than that, does it?

It's pretty sad when animals are given preference over people. I say such animals need to be reminded -- with bullets from a boomstick -- where they stand on this planet. For decades now, they've been watching too much liberal TV (yes, animals do tune-in to keep up with current events, so says the Disney Channel) -- including that VERY liberal PBS and Nature/Animal channels -- and think THEY own it. Firearms say otherwise -- we don't need no stinkin' claws & teeth! Some big/bad grizzly bear coming down the trail towards me and expects ME to give way? Not with my trusty Red Ryder I sure won't! ;-)

Now, where is my Lithgow No.1 Mk.III* SMLE...I know it's here somewhere...

Last edited: