Thread: HB 458: Libraries. First "bad" gun bill ... so far.

HB 458: Libraries. First "bad" gun bill ... so far.

I'm sure there will be more... but obviously this bill must die.

Full text not posted at this time, but will probably show up soon.

HB 458 Control of firearms; libraries owned by localities.

Control of firearms; libraries owned by localities. Provides that a locality may adopt an ordinance that prohibits firearms, ammunition, or components, or a combination thereof, in libraries owned or operated by the locality.

TFred

Question

Wouldn't passage of bills like this require amendment of 15.2-915?
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by wylde007 View Post
    No, a law like this is what you need to overcome the restrictions of 15.2-915:

"A. No locality shall adopt or enforce any ordinance, resolution or motion, as permitted by § 15.2-1425, and no agent of such locality shall take any administrative action, governing the purchase, possession, transfer, ownership, carrying, storage or transporting of firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof other than those expressly authorized by statute. For purposes of this section, a statute that does not refer to firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof, shall not be construed to provide express authorization."

This bill would become the statute that expressly authorizes a locality to control firearms in a locally owned or operated library.

TFred
    Last edited by TFred; 01-10-2012 at 04:44 PM. Reason: ETA: Few more words.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Nope.
    The statute says:
    other than those expressly authorized by statute.

The bill would become the authorizing statute.

Kinda like the no loaded rifles or shotguns in the city of Richmond...and others.
    Beat me to it TF!
    Last edited by peter nap; 01-10-2012 at 04:44 PM.

Isn't this a cut and paste from year to year? It seems to me I saw the Baa Cote show one year in committee way back when I lived in Virginia. She actually gave me a chuckle.

Offered January 11, 2012 Prefiled January 10, 2012 A BILL to amend and reenact § 15.2-915 of the Code of Virginia, relating to control of firearms; libraries owned by localities.
    Reading it right there, boss.

Adds a Section D at the end allowing localities to ban firearms, ammunition and components.

It's the same library gun-ban bill as in past years.

stay safe.
    Last edited by skidmark; 01-10-2012 at 10:05 PM. Reason: expanded info
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

How quickly was this stupid bill defeated last year? I would think the odds of it passing this year are slim to none.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    How quickly was this stupid bill defeated last year? I would think the odds of it passing this year are slim to none.
    I think it died in committee last year and while it needs to stay on the watch list, should do the same this year.

Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    No, a law like this is what you need to overcome the restrictions of 15.2-915:

"A. No locality shall adopt or enforce any ordinance, resolution or motion, as permitted by § 15.2-1425, and no agent of such locality shall take any administrative action, governing the purchase, possession, transfer, ownership, carrying, storage or transporting of firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof other than those expressly authorized by statute. For purposes of this section, a statute that does not refer to firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof, shall not be construed to provide express authorization."

This bill would become the statute that expressly authorizes a locality to control firearms in a locally owned or operated library.

TFred
    Would there be any downside (for us) if the code were amended, striking the bolded section above? Seems to me that alone would solve a lot of these issues. Although I'm sure it would just be re-amended if the anti's ever get control again. Or is that not the way things work?

Remain vigilant

As mentioned, it is probably not a threat but should be watched untill crushed. Bills like this stupidity just infuriate me. Petty tyrants need to be dealt with. Sic Semper Tyranis!
    Last edited by The Wolfhound; 01-11-2012 at 09:27 AM.

Red face

I missed the syntax/context somehow. Thank you for setting me straight gentlemen.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by builtjeep View Post
    Would there be any downside (for us) if the code were amended, striking the bolded section above? Seems to me that alone would solve a lot of these issues. Although I'm sure it would just be re-amended if the anti's ever get control again. Or is that not the way things work?
    Not really any benefit to doing that, in my opinion. The purpose of 15.2-915 is to reserve control of firearms to the General Assembly alone, and specifically remove control from the local governments. What that bolded clause does is make clear that a locality cannot use some other non-related bill to "interpret" the authority to control firearms locally, especially in conjunction with the next sentence which says they must explicitly reference firearms. That clause just prevents them from trying to be sneaky.

TFred

Criminals should be banned from libraries. They probably don't even return books on time.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
    Criminals should be banned from libraries. They probably don't even return books on time.
    Particularly if they do not properly check them out in the first place.

Burn the books and ban the guns - problem solved.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Speaking of loaded shotguns and rifles, can someone point me in the direction of the laws in: Suffolk, portsmouth, Norfolk, VA beach, and Chesapeake regarding OC of shotguns? I know the law of OC, and what you can and cannot do with a CHP. I was wondering about the locally accepted laws regarding the above?

Quote Originally Posted by gm2max View Post
    Speaking of loaded shotguns and rifles, can someone point me in the direction of the laws in: Suffolk, portsmouth, Norfolk, VA beach, and Chesapeake regarding OC of shotguns? I know the law of OC, and what you can and cannot do with a CHP. I was wondering about the locally accepted laws regarding the above?
    Check the DGIF pages. All of them will be listed there.
    http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting...ordinances.pdf

When I was living in Washington NC, the local library there had, as terms and conditions of it's use, a prohibition on carrying ANY weapons, a prohibition on handing out any printed material, and a "bag search" policy.

When I pointed out at a City Council meeting the irony of our Public Library having, as it's basic operating policies, a TOTAL abridgement of the 1st, 2nd, and 4th amendments, I was met with "deer in the headlights" stares and stone cold silence, then a motion to move to the next slated speaker.

After living in NC for three years, I'm still not sure how NC maintains "Gold Star" status...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    When I pointed out at a City Council meeting the irony of our Public Library having, as it's basic operating policies, a TOTAL abridgement of the 1st, 2nd, and 4th amendments, I was met with "deer in the headlights" stares and stone cold silence, then a motion to move to the next slated speaker.
    Irony:

Founding fathers trade blood, sweat and tears to give us the Bill of Rights. "It's for the children."

230 years later, City Council flushes Bill of Rights down the toilet. "It's for the children."

Makes you think.

TFred

Yup thats her.

Quote Originally Posted by John Canuck View Post
    Isn't this a cut and paste from year to year? It seems to me I saw the Baa Cote show one year in committee way back when I lived in Virginia. She actually gave me a chuckle.
    Yes she does this every year. Every year I call ant tell her that it is shameful that my representative in the GA files an anti civil rights bill. She does not like my attitude.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776