• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HB 458: Libraries. First "bad" gun bill ... so far.

TFred

I'm sure there will be more... but obviously this bill must die.

Full text not posted at this time, but will probably show up soon.

HB 458 Control of firearms; libraries owned by localities.

Control of firearms; libraries owned by localities. Provides that a locality may adopt an ordinance that prohibits firearms, ammunition, or components, or a combination thereof, in libraries owned or operated by the locality.

TFred

TFred

Wouldn't passage of bills like this require amendment of 15.2-915?
No, a law like this is what you need to overcome the restrictions of 15.2-915:

"A. No locality shall adopt or enforce any ordinance, resolution or motion, as permitted by § 15.2-1425, and no agent of such locality shall take any administrative action, governing the purchase, possession, transfer, ownership, carrying, storage or transporting of firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof other than those expressly authorized by statute. For purposes of this section, a statute that does not refer to firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof, shall not be construed to provide express authorization."

This bill would become the statute that expressly authorizes a locality to control firearms in a locally owned or operated library.

TFred

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

Nope.
The statute says:
other than those expressly authorized by statute.

The bill would become the authorizing statute.

Kinda like the no loaded rifles or shotguns in the city of Richmond...and others.
Beat me to it TF!

Last edited:

John Canuck

Isn't this a cut and paste from year to year? It seems to me I saw the Baa Cote show one year in committee way back when I lived in Virginia. She actually gave me a chuckle.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

Offered January 11, 2012 Prefiled January 10, 2012 A BILL to amend and reenact § 15.2-915 of the Code of Virginia, relating to control of firearms; libraries owned by localities.

Reading it right there, boss.

Adds a Section D at the end allowing localities to ban firearms, ammunition and components.

It's the same library gun-ban bill as in past years.

stay safe.

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
How quickly was this stupid bill defeated last year? I would think the odds of it passing this year are slim to none.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
How quickly was this stupid bill defeated last year? I would think the odds of it passing this year are slim to none.

I think it died in committee last year and while it needs to stay on the watch list, should do the same this year.

builtjeep

No, a law like this is what you need to overcome the restrictions of 15.2-915:

"A. No locality shall adopt or enforce any ordinance, resolution or motion, as permitted by § 15.2-1425, and no agent of such locality shall take any administrative action, governing the purchase, possession, transfer, ownership, carrying, storage or transporting of firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof other than those expressly authorized by statute. For purposes of this section, a statute that does not refer to firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof, shall not be construed to provide express authorization."

This bill would become the statute that expressly authorizes a locality to control firearms in a locally owned or operated library.

TFred

Would there be any downside (for us) if the code were amended, striking the bolded section above? Seems to me that alone would solve a lot of these issues. Although I'm sure it would just be re-amended if the anti's ever get control again. Or is that not the way things work?

The Wolfhound

Remain vigilant

As mentioned, it is probably not a threat but should be watched untill crushed. Bills like this stupidity just infuriate me. Petty tyrants need to be dealt with. Sic Semper Tyranis!

Last edited:

TFred

Would there be any downside (for us) if the code were amended, striking the bolded section above? Seems to me that alone would solve a lot of these issues. Although I'm sure it would just be re-amended if the anti's ever get control again. Or is that not the way things work?
Not really any benefit to doing that, in my opinion. The purpose of 15.2-915 is to reserve control of firearms to the General Assembly alone, and specifically remove control from the local governments. What that bolded clause does is make clear that a locality cannot use some other non-related bill to "interpret" the authority to control firearms locally, especially in conjunction with the next sentence which says they must explicitly reference firearms. That clause just prevents them from trying to be sneaky.

TFred

Fenris

Criminals should be banned from libraries. They probably don't even return books on time.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Criminals should be banned from libraries. They probably don't even return books on time.

Particularly if they do not properly check them out in the first place.

Burn the books and ban the guns - problem solved. :banghead:

gm2max

Speaking of loaded shotguns and rifles, can someone point me in the direction of the laws in: Suffolk, portsmouth, Norfolk, VA beach, and Chesapeake regarding OC of shotguns? I know the law of OC, and what you can and cannot do with a CHP. I was wondering about the locally accepted laws regarding the above?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

Dreamer

When I was living in Washington NC, the local library there had, as terms and conditions of it's use, a prohibition on carrying ANY weapons, a prohibition on handing out any printed material, and a "bag search" policy.

When I pointed out at a City Council meeting the irony of our Public Library having, as it's basic operating policies, a TOTAL abridgement of the 1st, 2nd, and 4th amendments, I was met with "deer in the headlights" stares and stone cold silence, then a motion to move to the next slated speaker.

After living in NC for three years, I'm still not sure how NC maintains "Gold Star" status...

TFred

When I pointed out at a City Council meeting the irony of our Public Library having, as it's basic operating policies, a TOTAL abridgement of the 1st, 2nd, and 4th amendments, I was met with "deer in the headlights" stares and stone cold silence, then a motion to move to the next slated speaker.
Irony:

Founding fathers trade blood, sweat and tears to give us the Bill of Rights. "It's for the children."

230 years later, City Council flushes Bill of Rights down the toilet. "It's for the children."

Makes you think.

TFred

Thundar

Yup thats her.

Isn't this a cut and paste from year to year? It seems to me I saw the Baa Cote show one year in committee way back when I lived in Virginia. She actually gave me a chuckle.

Yes she does this every year. Every year I call ant tell her that it is shameful that my representative in the GA files an anti civil rights bill. She does not like my attitude.