Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34

Thread: How long did it take to get CCDW for the first time?

  1. #1
    Regular Member HiPointFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Owensboro, Kentucky, United States
    Posts
    9

    How long did it take to get CCDW for the first time?

    How long did it take to get CCDW for the first time?
    Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Constitutional Carry!

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    23
    Heck, I'm still waiting for mine. I took the class the first week of November, and still haven't gotten mine yet. I'm anxiously awaiting mine. I mean I'm not anxious just so I can carry, but so I can go ahead and get it. Seems like all the "rules" that are in place for the instuctor and the sheriff to follow, they haven't. Within 5 working days for the instructor to turn in the results and the same for the sheriff. I turned in my info to SD, about 2 weeks before thanksgiving and they didn't send it to Frankfort till the week before Christmas. I mean c'mon man!!!

  3. #3
    Activist Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ashland, KY
    Posts
    1,847
    After I completed my training, it took between 2 and 3 weeks to get my certificate back. Once I took that and my pic to sheriffs dept., I had my license in under 3 weeks. Just a guess, but I'd say they get overloaded this time of year, with folks getting gift certificates for the training course at different instructors places of business and what not. If you sent it in before Christmas, I'd bet on having it by the end of January, beginning of February.

  4. #4
    Regular Member HiPointFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Owensboro, Kentucky, United States
    Posts
    9

    Thumbs up

    The sheriff's dept. didn't waste any time cashing their check. So I'm hoping to see them by the end of January. My wife and I both took the CCDW at the same time and she had the distinction of being the only lady in our class. She is looking forward to it as well, with her new Ruger LC9.
    Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Constitutional Carry!

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by NewGunOwner View Post
    I took the class the first week of November...
    Post an update when/if you have one. I took the class the 3rd week of November. It took 25 days for a training cert to show up. I turned that in with cash to the sherif and check to the KSP 30 days ago but have not even seen any check cashing activity yet. You'd think they would want to get that money into the government coffers ASAP. I have visions of it being stuck behind someone's desk in a dusty corner of the office.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by HiPointFan View Post
    How long did it take to get CCDW for the first time?
    I got my Flash Pak from the KSP on Saturday. Called my local Sheriff Dept today just to see if it happened to be there, and it was. Concealed carried for the first time today!!

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by NewGunOwner View Post
    I got my Flash Pak from the KSP on Saturday. Called my local Sheriff Dept today just to see if it happened to be there, and it was. Concealed carried for the first time today!!
    Congrats! Well, being that I'm 2 weeks behind you in the process, it will be interesting to see if mine shows up in the next 2 weeks. I'm sure the Christmas & New Years holidays helped to slow things up a bit. Still, I'd like to see my check get cashed by the KSP so I'd know that the application made it to them.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    E-town
    Posts
    9

    Applied today

    I applied today for my CCDW permit and the clerk said I should receive my flash pack between six and eight weeks. She emphasized that their will be a date in the flash pack. Any time after that date I can bring the paperwork with me to the department to pick up my permit. Does any one know how much longer that date is after getting the flash packet is?

  9. #9
    Regular Member MilProGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    1,228
    In Mississippi, it takes about 45 days.
    Proud Veteran ~ U.S. Army / Army Reserve

    Mississippi State Guard ~ Honorably Retired


  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by RealBloodMoney View Post
    Does any one know how much longer that date is after getting the flash packet is?
    If mine ever shows up, I'll let you know. 7 weeks and still waiting...

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lexington
    Posts
    4

    How long it takes to get CCDW License

    I've been a CCDW Instructor for 14 years. It usually takes about ten days to get your certificate after you take the training. Then, when you apply for your license at the Sheriff's office, it can take six to ten weeks, depending upon how busy the Kentucky State Police office is.

  12. #12
    Regular Member yz9890's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    47
    it took them 3 months after my application and couple of years ago.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by RealBloodMoney View Post
    I applied today for my CCDW permit and the clerk said I should receive my flash pack between six and eight weeks.
    Mine just came in at exactly 8.5 weeks.

    Quote Originally Posted by RealBloodMoney View Post
    Any time after that date I can bring the paperwork with me to the department to pick up my permit. Does any one know how much longer that date is after getting the flash packet is?
    I had never even heard of this extra wait time until you posted this question and, sure enough, my flash pack says that I should wait an additional 10 days before I try to pick up the license. They phrase it as, "on, or about, Feb 26" which happens to be 10 days from the date of the flash pack.

  14. #14
    Activist Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ashland, KY
    Posts
    1,847
    If you received your flash pack then you are in the system as having a valid cdwl, you just don't have your license yet. I went the day I got my pack and picked up my license, that's odd you have to wait 10 days. I got mine in the middle of a week, but the SD had my license a couple days before I received it in the mail.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by KYGlockster View Post
    If you received your flash pack then you are in the system as having a valid cdwl, you just don't have your license yet. I went the day I got my pack and picked up my license, that's odd you have to wait 10 days. I got mine in the middle of a week, but the SD had my license a couple days before I received it in the mail.
    Yeah, I actually knew my license number before the flash pack came because someone wrote it on my cancelled check. I'm wondering if the "on or about 2/26" statement on my pickup notice might not be a typo since 2/26 is a Sunday. Or, maybe they just automatically add 10 days to the flash pack issue date, regardless of whether that makes it fall on a weekday or weekend, and that's why they use the "on or about" language. In any event, at least I know my paperwork was not lost while I waited 8.5 weeks.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Bradenton
    Posts
    5
    I took my test back in 2008. I got my license in 7 weeks

  17. #17
    Regular Member HiPointFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Owensboro, Kentucky, United States
    Posts
    9

    Cool

    UPDATE: The wife got her's 2-10-12 and mine on 2-18-12.
    We filed on 1-5-12.
    Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Constitutional Carry!

  18. #18
    Activist Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ashland, KY
    Posts
    1,847
    Quote Originally Posted by OutsideTheGlocks View Post
    Yeah, I actually knew my license number before the flash pack came because someone wrote it on my cancelled check. I'm wondering if the "on or about 2/26" statement on my pickup notice might not be a typo since 2/26 is a Sunday. Or, maybe they just automatically add 10 days to the flash pack issue date, regardless of whether that makes it fall on a weekday or weekend, and that's why they use the "on or about" language. In any event, at least I know my paperwork was not lost while I waited 8.5 weeks.
    call your sheriffs office and see if they have it. i dont see why they would put a date down when no one is even in the office. if they dont have it, just go in on mon. the 27th and get your license.

  19. #19
    Regular Member hermannr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Okanogan Highland
    Posts
    2,332
    Okanogan Co, WA, 15 minutes and $55.25 cash for 5 years, at the Sheriff's office on a Thursday. Got my permit in the mail that next Monday. So, 4 days total. No training required. Took even less time to renew last May, you don't have to be fingerprinted again.
    Last edited by hermannr; 02-24-2012 at 07:56 PM.

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Oil Springs, KY
    Posts
    1
    From the day I took the class to the day I picked up my permit, just shy of 7 weeks.

  21. #21
    Activist Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ashland, KY
    Posts
    1,847
    Quote Originally Posted by hermannr View Post
    Okanogan Co, WA, 15 minutes and $55.25 cash for 5 years, at the Sheriff's office on a Thursday. Got my permit in the mail that next Monday. So, 4 days total. No training required. Took even less time to renew last May, you don't have to be fingerprinted again.
    Fingerprinted? That seems like an unreasonable search of your person, and to exercise a constitutional right? In Ky, they don't make us do any UN-constitutional acts like requiring fingerprints. Our state constitution allows state legislators to place restrictions on concealed weapons, which is why we need 6 hours of training and a license to carry concealed. However, openly carried weapons can't be restricted, and we can OC any where we want without restriction.

  22. #22
    Regular Member 09jisaac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Louisa, Kentucky
    Posts
    1,694
    Quote Originally Posted by KYGlockster View Post
    Fingerprinted? That seems like an unreasonable search of your person, and to exercise a constitutional right? In Ky, they don't make us do any UN-constitutional acts like requiring fingerprints. Our state constitution allows state legislators to place restrictions on concealed weapons, which is why we need 6 hours of training and a license to carry concealed. However, openly carried weapons can't be restricted, and we can OC any where we want without restriction.
    Woot for KENTUCKY!!!!

    Side note: I took my concealed carry class February 4 and I got my certificate yesterday march the 1st. So I can go ahead and apply for my CCDW today.
    No man alive can beat me in a fair fight: It's not fair to chase a man down and beat him.

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Louisville, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    107
    Paid sherriff and filled out application on 5/17 - flashpak in hand today! 6/8

    Just realized how old this post was, sorry... tired :-)
    Last edited by kywildcat581; 06-08-2012 at 09:57 PM.

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    lexington kentucky
    Posts
    10
    Took me 11 weeks to get my CCDW here in Nicholasville Ky.........

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    BG, KY
    Posts
    1
    I took the class on Sept. 15th, got the certificate Oct. 6th. Applied for the permit on Oct. 9th and still waiting. 52 days so far. 76 since I took the class. The KSP deposited my check on Nov. 5th and other people from the class have already gotten theirs weeks ago. There is nothing in my background that prevents me from getting a permit so I don't know what the hold up is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •