Thread: Guns are STILL BANNED in Senate Gallery

Guns are STILL BANNED in Senate Gallery

Today, the General Assembly's Committee on Joint Rules announced new rules for visitation at the Capitol.

Once again, the Senate has banned any and all weapons from the Senate Gallery and the Senate Mezzanine. The House is okay with gun voters.

Senate
    No firearms or weapons are allowed.
    House

I'm not sure this bodes well for the upcoming legislative session. I plan on contacting my Senator, hopefully VCDL can get others to do the same.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Founder's Club Member
    It is my understanding that this is not a change from previous recent published rules.

Quote Originally Posted by jmelvin View Post
    It is my understanding that this is not a change from previous recent published rules.
    That's correct; hence the word STILL.

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Repeater View Post
    That's correct; hence the word STILL.
    Yup I know, but I was trying to be more explicit for the gentleman who replied just above me.
    Last edited by jmelvin; 01-10-2012 at 08:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jmelvin View Post
    Yup I know, but I was trying to be more explicit for the gentleman who replied just above me.
    I also know. I was just implying that a new Senate can bring about new rules or get rid of stupid ones.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Well, did anyone even really make any kind of push for a change in the senate rules? To be honest, I hadn't even thought of making an issue of this after the elections. Perhaps we (VCDL) should actively work with both our senators and reps to fix the rules for next year. Another rule that desperately needs fixing is the requirement to have a CHP to enter the General Assembly building while carrying, even if you are otherwise legally open carrying. That rule is one that I hate almost as much as not being able to carry while voting (at a school).

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VApatriot View Post
    Well, did anyone even really make any kind of push for a change in the senate rules? To be honest, I hadn't even thought of making an issue of this after the elections. Perhaps we (VCDL) should actively work with both our senators and reps to fix the rules for next year. Another rule that desperately needs fixing is the requirement to have a CHP to enter the General Assembly building while carrying, even if you are otherwise legally open carrying. That rule is one that I hate almost as much as not being able to carry while voting (at a school).
    It may be a minor slap in the face VP, but it was done a while back.
    There are a lot bigger fish to fry this year and hopefully we can concentrate on them.

There are some really bad bills to nip in the bud,
    Some worse bills to try to do away with,
    AND
    Constitutional carry which should get the lions share of attention.

There is also a world outside of guns at the General Assembly, that needs attention.

Did you happen to notice if they changed any of the Senate's legislative rules, particularly 20.h, which required subcommittees to report all bills out to the full committee?

TFred

Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    Did you happen to notice if they changed any of the Senate's legislative rules, particularly 20.h, which required subcommittees to report all bills out to the full committee?

TFred
    If Repeater doesn't know I'll check tomorrow TFred. I'm going to start my General Assembly visits tomorrow. I want to try to catch Obenchain and Peace before Monday.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    If Repeater doesn't know I'll check tomorrow TFred. I'm going to start my General Assembly visits tomorrow. I want to try to catch Obenchain and Peace before Monday.
    Committee chairman and members - eagerly awaiting that info. Likely will be in process tomorrow morning.

Presume (won't use that other word) that the Death Star committee is a thing of the past??

Politicians lacking spinal strength can have very limited futures in their chosen field.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 01-10-2012 at 11:38 PM. Reason: added
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Committee chairman and members - eagerly awaiting that info. Likely will be in process tomorrow morning.

Yep!

Presume (won't use that other word) that the Death Star committee is a thing of the past??

Let's close our eyes and wish real hard!

Politicians lacking spinal strength can have very limited futures in their chosen field.
    I'll let you know!

If Repeater doesn't know I'll check tomorrow TFred. I'm going to start my General Assembly visits tomorrow. I want to try to catch Obenshain and Peace before Monday.
    Watch the skies.

Rules are rules come from the Senate Rules Committee. After organization, Rules will hold their first meeting. One of the things they might do is amend the Rules. If that is scheduled, perhaps a large organization of Virginia gun owners could attend and bear witness, perhaps testify to Saslaw's lawlessness, Marsh's mess, Howell's hatred, and so forth.

This could perhaps be a constructive development for us.

That is why THIS LINK is important:
    http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?121+oth+MTG

Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post

TFred
    The rules were completely rewritten TFred.
    I don't know about 20.h yet because I haven't gotten the full package, but there was a lot of discussion about the changes.

Bolling said those were last years rules, they've expired.
    Last edited by peter nap; 01-11-2012 at 06:29 PM.

The rules were completely rewritten TFred.
    I don't know about 20.h yet because I haven't gotten the full package, but there was a lot of discussion about the changes.

Bolling said those were last years rules, they've expired.
    Yes, that's exactly right.

Rules are Rules, 2012 Edition. Available soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Repeater View Post
    Yes, that's exactly right.

Rules are Rules, 2012 Edition. Available soon.