• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Guns are STILL BANNED in Senate Gallery

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I'm not sure this bodes well for the upcoming legislative session. I plan on contacting my Senator, hopefully VCDL can get others to do the same.

VApatriot

Well, did anyone even really make any kind of push for a change in the senate rules? To be honest, I hadn't even thought of making an issue of this after the elections. Perhaps we (VCDL) should actively work with both our senators and reps to fix the rules for next year. Another rule that desperately needs fixing is the requirement to have a CHP to enter the General Assembly building while carrying, even if you are otherwise legally open carrying. That rule is one that I hate almost as much as not being able to carry while voting (at a school).

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Well, did anyone even really make any kind of push for a change in the senate rules? To be honest, I hadn't even thought of making an issue of this after the elections. Perhaps we (VCDL) should actively work with both our senators and reps to fix the rules for next year. Another rule that desperately needs fixing is the requirement to have a CHP to enter the General Assembly building while carrying, even if you are otherwise legally open carrying. That rule is one that I hate almost as much as not being able to carry while voting (at a school).

It may be a minor slap in the face VP, but it was done a while back.
There are a lot bigger fish to fry this year and hopefully we can concentrate on them.

There are some really bad bills to nip in the bud,
Some worse bills to try to do away with,
AND
Constitutional carry which should get the lions share of attention.

There is also a world outside of guns at the General Assembly, that needs attention.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Did you happen to notice if they changed any of the Senate's legislative rules, particularly 20.h, which required subcommittees to report all bills out to the full committee?

TFred

If Repeater doesn't know I'll check tomorrow TFred. I'm going to start my General Assembly visits tomorrow. I want to try to catch Obenchain and Peace before Monday.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
If Repeater doesn't know I'll check tomorrow TFred. I'm going to start my General Assembly visits tomorrow. I want to try to catch Obenchain and Peace before Monday.

Committee chairman and members - eagerly awaiting that info. Likely will be in process tomorrow morning.

Presume (won't use that other word) that the Death Star committee is a thing of the past??

Politicians lacking spinal strength can have very limited futures in their chosen field.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Committee chairman and members - eagerly awaiting that info. Likely will be in process tomorrow morning.

Yep!

Presume (won't use that other word) that the Death Star committee is a thing of the past??

Let's close our eyes and wish real hard!

Politicians lacking spinal strength can have very limited futures in their chosen field.

I'll let you know!

Repeater

If Repeater doesn't know I'll check tomorrow TFred. I'm going to start my General Assembly visits tomorrow. I want to try to catch Obenshain and Peace before Monday.

Watch the skies.

Rules are rules come from the Senate Rules Committee. After organization, Rules will hold their first meeting. One of the things they might do is amend the Rules. If that is scheduled, perhaps a large organization of Virginia gun owners could attend and bear witness, perhaps testify to Saslaw's lawlessness, Marsh's mess, Howell's hatred, and so forth.

This could perhaps be a constructive development for us.

That is why THIS LINK is important:
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?121+oth+MTG

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Did you happen to notice if they changed any of the Senate's legislative rules, particularly 20.h, which required subcommittees to report all bills out to the full committee?

TFred

The rules were completely rewritten TFred.
I don't know about 20.h yet because I haven't gotten the full package, but there was a lot of discussion about the changes.

Bolling said those were last years rules, they've expired.

Last edited:

Repeater

The rules were completely rewritten TFred.
I don't know about 20.h yet because I haven't gotten the full package, but there was a lot of discussion about the changes.

Bolling said those were last years rules, they've expired.

Yes, that's exactly right.

Rules are Rules, 2012 Edition. Available soon.