Thread: New Carolina Resident

Question New Carolina Resident

I moved from Virginny to Carolina after accepting a job this week. I am fairly well versed on NC gun laws, although I have a hard time agreeing with or stomaching some of them. Especially after the fairly open laws in Virginny. My question is this- does NC protect citizens rights to have a gun in the vehicle on employers property? My new work place has a no firearms on company property rule in the employee handbook. Thanks in advance for your answers.

Private property rights rule in Carolina, if it is posted its enforceable.

According to the concealed carry class I just took, its ok for you to keep firearm in your vehicle as long as it is in a locked vehicle or in some type of lockbox attached to vehicle. My opinion is how would they know what's in your vehicle?...

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by importinvasion View Post
    According to the concealed carry class I just took, its ok for you to keep firearm in your vehicle as long as it is in a locked vehicle or in some type of lockbox attached to vehicle. My opinion is how would they know what's in your vehicle?...

That was proposed legislation, it did not pass.

Someone did not keep up. CD is right, that was removed from HB 650. Guice amendment IIRC. If this truck driving thing does not work out maybe I should become an instructor. lol

wow really? thats really does suck. We were told otherwise. Im all for respecting the rights of private property but my vehicle is MY private property, sort of an extention to my home. Unless the company I work for had some sort of security check, this is one rule Id plead "ignorance" on. Like I said before, how would they know unless something happened? Furthermore, at that point my life is worth more than the job. But this is MY opinion.

Yeah, you'll get no argument from me. I was all for it. We got blind sided from the R side on that amendment. Seems the guy owns a summer camp and was personally against it. He managed to get enough support, some from the R side, to get it through. I was ticked.

Furthermore, at that point my life is worth more than the job. But this is MY opinion.
    I happen to share your opinion. And I can say that if I was working right now, I'd definitely have my firearm stored nearby one way or another, people can take that as they will. But unfortunately I'm about to start classes soon, and EVEN THOUGH the laws saying you can't store your firearm in your vehicle on school grounds are completely bogus as there's a statute that clearly states school grounds as being one of the places you Can do so, and it also states that it can't be overruled.. I'm not willing to be the test case in court on that one. I need a clean record for the career I'm planning for. But you know how all that goes, just because our rights are set in stone, it doesn't mean they won't try to take them away anyway.

Regular Member Large Caliber Kick's Avatar
    Mooresville, North Carolina, United States
    When I was in college I didn't own a firearm, but I did keep a large Winchester hunting knife in my SUV and the largest legal pocketknife I could find on me.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    Someone did not keep up. CD is right, that was removed from HB 650. Guice amendment IIRC. If this truck driving thing does not work out maybe I should become an instructor. lol
    Chief, I believe that the Guice amendment had to do with parks.