• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ky number one 5 years running

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Ky has come in first again in 2011, first in having the highest number of "firearm purchase" ncis background checks done this year. Kentucky firearm dealers completed over 2,000,000 checks for firearm sales, double that of the state,(Texas), that had the second highest at a little over 1,000,000. You can buy multiple firearms at one time, and have only one check completed, so there was well over 2,000,000 firearms sold in our lovely state, and with a population of just over 4,000,000, that's spectacular. There was around 15,000,000 completed nationally, meaning our state alone consisted of around 15% of the total. Information courtesy of the FBI, thought everyone would find this interesting. Let's hope the legislature is paying attention to the highest firearm ownership state in the union, and pass the pro gun laws being introduced this legislative session.

Midwest

I been reading about the same thread on another forum. The reason they say is because CCDW holders are run through NICS every month as long as they have their carry permit. I checked other forums and they repeat some of this information back from 2010 as well. So do they really run monthly background checks on all CCDW holders? Or is it BS? Thanks

Kentucky abusing the NICS system?
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=635605

"it's that the state of KY is running a monthly NICS check on every permit holder independent of any gun purchases. Presumably they would do this in order to discover permit holders who have become ineligible to redeem or receive firearms since the last monthly check, at that point it seems logical they would suspend the permit holders license and whatever else they can dream up."

Last edited:

KYGlockster

Activist Member
They run a NCIS check before you get your cdwl and then every 5 years when you renew. If you get arrested for a charge that would revoke your cdwl, they take it from you on the spot, every time the law runs your name, or vehicle registration, the automatically know you have a cdwl. meaning a monthly check would be a waste of time, since they know when your arrested if they can withold your license or not. However this Is why I stated "firearm sale" ncis checks, because the 2,000,000 checks were just firearm purchases. They figured the checks that are done for cdwl's out of the total. We aren't the only state that does the ncis to obtain a cdwl either, there are others. Can you tell me where in krs, or wherever I can find this information that says they run a background check on us every month?

Last edited:

Midwest

From the FBI via the Chicago Tribune...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...roundcheckstre80407p-20120104,0,5915337.story

"But FBI spokesman Stephen Fischer said the background checks are correlated with weapon purchases."

Later in the article.....

"But Fischer said Kentucky's numbers were distorted because the state runs a fresh background check every month on gun owners with state-issued concealed weapons permits."

Last edited:

flb_78

http://www.wkbkradio.com/pages/11912736.php?contentType=4&contentId=9706270

Same article by Reuters.

Kentucky, which ranks 26th nationally in terms of population, topped the state rankings for pre-purchase background checks in 2011, the FBI said.

Gun sellers in the Bluegrass State, which has just 4.3 million residents, generated almost 2.3 million instant background checks in 2011 - accounting for roughly one of every seven the FBI processed during the year.

But Fischer said Kentucky's numbers were distorted because the state runs a fresh background check every month on gun owners with state-issued concealed weapons permits.

keltec

I been reading about the same thread on another forum. The reason they say is because CCDW holders are run through NICS every month as long as they have their carry permit. I checked other forums and they repeat some of this information back from 2010 as well. So do they really run monthly background checks on all CCDW holders? Or is it BS? Thanks

Kentucky abusing the NICS system?
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=635605

"it's that the state of KY is running a monthly NICS check on every permit holder independent of any gun purchases. Presumably they would do this in order to discover permit holders who have become ineligible to redeem or receive firearms since the last monthly check, at that point it seems logical they would suspend the permit holders license and whatever else they can dream up."

If your background doesn't warrant the ability to carry a firearm concealed, you shouldn't have the right to own a firearm. If your background is clean, don't worry about it.

hotrod

They run a NCIS check before you get your cdwl and then every 5 years when you renew. If you get arrested for a charge that would revoke your cdwl, they take it from you on the spot, every time the law runs your name, or vehicle registration, the automatically know you have a cdwl. meaning a monthly check would be a waste of time, since they know when your arrested if they can withold your license or not. However this Is why I stated "firearm sale" ncis checks, because the 2,000,000 checks were just firearm purchases. They figured the checks that are done for cdwl's out of the total. We aren't the only state that does the ncis to obtain a cdwl either, there are others. Can you tell me where in krs, or wherever I can find this information that says they run a background check on us every month?

Our CDWL is ran monthly so that we may use our CDWL to purchase firearms from a FFL dealer without the phone call to approve a purchase. CDWL holders are approved automatically. Our license number is used on the 4473.

flb_78

As I said, I'm very proud, buuuuuut we all need to remember that not all states do things exactly like we do them here in KY. Many states have their own background check system and do not use the FBI NICS. All of their background checks are done by the state system. These states are some of the most populous states in the country and will show up as zero NICS checks, but will have large numbers of firearm sales.

I hate to question your post, but Im pretty sure that all transactions through an FFL are required to go through the NICS now unless the buyer has a concealed carry license.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Our CDWL is ran monthly so that we may use our CDWL to purchase firearms from a FFL dealer without the phone call to approve a purchase. CDWL holders are approved automatically. Our license number is used on the 4473.

COuld you please cite the source of this information? I'm rather curious, being as our current information pertaining to out cdwl is accessible at any time by the justice system, that seems like a total waste of funds, and time. If we became ineligible to purchase a firearm, and/or posess a cdwl, we would have lost our license when we were incarcerated for whatever crime we committed. Therefore we wouldn't have the license to use in the first place. I look for this to be done away with altogether anyways, it won't be long before we have to have the check done regardless of cdwl. Since the ATF lost their authority to prohibit certain shotgun importation, "which they had a hard d-$k for anyways," and so on, I look for them to take their rage out on us law abiders any way their overreaching unit of government can. There are 2 places I know of here in Ashland that where told they couldn't accept our cdwl any longer, that they had to run the ncis check every time, all because they slipped on some paper work. It is easier to get and KEEP an FFL now, they can't shut you down for not selling a certain amount now, I'm sure that's pissed them off as well! The batf is one of many federal agencies that need cut!