Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scary road rage incident happened to my wife

Scary road rage incident happened to my wife

This kinda fits in with a couple of recent threads, but it hit close enough to home I figured it warrants its own.

Anyways, in my wife's words...

Situation:

Northbound 405, 3 lanes of traffic. Traveling in the center lane and had to react quickly to avoid an accident ahead. Break & swerve into the HOV lane and accelerated as to not disturb traffic flow. In the process this "cuts off" a person in the HOV lane causing driver to slow down, but not forcing a hard brake. When safe, I returned to the lane I was in to continue on my way. Vehicle from HOV lane then attempts to side swipe me. I again slow down to avoid incident and the driver ahead slows to approx 10-20mph. I moved over another lane to try and remove myself from the situation, again HOV driver swerves towards my vehicle and then stops in the middle of the lane and gestures to me to pull over to the side of the road. I choose to pull over because my tactics to try and get away from the situation failed and wanting to make sure driver was ok.

Confrontation: HOV driver (snookie wanabee) leaves their vehicle and approaches mine. Flailing arms and speaking incoherently. I stayed in my vehicle, with doors locked as always out of habit. I rolled my window down just an inch or two to communicate. I determined there was no issue other than the driver being irate so I roll up my window. HOV driver then tries to open my door, thankfully locked. She then proceeds to pound on my drivers side window and kick my door. I grab my phone and dial 911 to report the road rage.
    Thoughts from the IANALs & maybe even the IAALs? My wife was not armed at the time, having just come from work, but sure wishes she had been now. Hindsight being 20/20, drawing was obviously not necessarily, but change any of the variables around and this could have gone very bad very quickly. This is the closest either one of us has come to an actual draw/no draw choice.
    It is very wise to not take a watermelon lightly.

Cool

Perhaps a good dose of mace would be in order to back the nutjob up so as not to endanger her feet as the victim sped away?

Any reason your wife didn't just pull back out into traffic when snookie got near your wifes car? Leave her standing by the shoulder of the road. Kind of hard to have a one person confrontation.

This is related to open carry how? It is not.
    Live Free or Die!

If it was me I would be inclined to call 911 while driving to get help heading my way as quickly as possible and not pull over. Pulling over put the other driver in a position of control of the situation. Glad everyone is safe. I had a similar situation a few years ago, I too did stop my car on the side of the road but that was only after my car was forced into the ditch and I got stuck in the dirt for a minute. I was already on the phone to 911 when it happened and the blue lights in the distance scared off the other car
    "Fight like you train, train like you fight"

Quote Originally Posted by gogodawgs View Post
    Really GoGo? This is a forum where general self defense, especially as it relates to Washington law, is frequently discussed. I'm certainly not the first one to come on here with a "this is what went down, how could it have been handled better, what's the law say, how can I learn from it for the future" type of thread. Seems to fit right in with that other thread about defensive display and when/if to call the police. How bout this, this is why my wife SHOULD have been open carrying! That make you happy?

Quote Originally Posted by dadada View Post
    Any reason your wife didn't just pull back out into traffic when snookie got near your wifes car? Leave her standing by the shoulder of the road. Kind of hard to have a one person confrontation.
    She was concerned that if she so much as brushed the woman she'd be accsused of hit & run, etc. As I understand, from where they were on the side of the road she was too close to be able to get past safely.

Quote Originally Posted by fire suppressor View Post
    If it was me I would be inclined to call 911 while driving to get help heading my way as quickly as possible and not pull over. Pulling over put the other driver in a position of control of the situation. Glad everyone is safe. I had a similar situation a few years ago, I too did stop my car on the side of the road but that was only after my car was forced into the ditch and I got stuck in the dirt for a minute. I was already on the phone to 911 when it happened and the blue lights in the distance scared off the other car
    Valid point. My wife's concern at the time was that this woman's unstable behavior was going to cause an accident sooner or later, and due to the volume of traffic, "escape" wasn't really possible.

Filling in some of the details as we go along, I know. She's still pretty frazzled from the whole thing.
    Last edited by Metalhead47; 01-11-2012 at 01:11 AM.

Three Words - Cell Phone Video

(or any modern digital camera that does video)

Nothing like video evidence when you press charges.

Quote Originally Posted by FMCDH View Post
    (or any modern digital camera that does video)

Nothing like video evidence when you press charges.
    Yes. Didn't really enter the thought process at the time but my wife has said that's one thing she'll add to her "what if" scenarios. She's got a Droid2, and doesn't think there's any quick/easy way to get the camera turned on. I have shown her how to get to it on my iPhone if we're ever in a situation like this together.

Glad your wife is safe. I understand your wife's desire to make sure Snookie was ok, but probably not a good idea in this situation...especially on the freeway. I disagree with you about this being a no draw event, I would have. If someone comes up to my driver side door, my left hand stays on the wheel, gun in my right hand under my left arm pointing at the person's mid-section. I agree with ManInBlack, I would have hit her with the FoxLabs through that opening in the window. +1 on your wife avoiding the accident, most people would have just slammed on the brakes and rear-ended the car in front of them.

WTF is a Snookie?

Quote Originally Posted by jeeper1 View Post
    WTF is a Snookie?

Been harassed by the police? Yelled at by the anti-gun neighbors? Mother doesn't approve?

Then this is the place for you! Click here to get back at them!

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpender View Post
    Glad your wife is safe. I understand your wife's desire to make sure Snookie was ok, but probably not a good idea in this situation...especially on the freeway. I disagree with you about this being a no draw event, I would have. If someone comes up to my driver side door, my left hand stays on the wheel, gun in my right hand under my left arm pointing at the person's mid-section. I agree with ManInBlack, I would have hit her with the FoxLabs through that opening in the window. +1 on your wife avoiding the accident, most people would have just slammed on the brakes and rear-ended the car in front of them.
    Its hard to say without really being there but I agree with you Sharpender. when I had my similar experience once I was forced off the road I drew my gun in a low ready position. The low ready made my gun extremely available to me if I needed it and because I was still in my car it was still hidden from my aggressor, seconds saves life's.

I'm just a country boy so I do not know who or what a snookie is but I am just glad your wife is safe. We can debrief the situation all we want but all that matters is she made it home safely

Really GoGo? This is a forum where general self defense, especially as it relates to Washington law, is frequently discussed.

Which does not comport with the rules of the OCDO Forum. Why would you assume the forum owners would carve out a special exception to the rules for you? LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by deanf View Post
    Which does not comport with the rules of the OCDO Forum. Why would you assume the forum owners would carve out a special exception to the rules for you? LOL![/COLOR]
    Lets be honest we have been a lot more off topic than this

Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States

This actually does relate to OC, as a hypothetical siuation...

...and as a learning experience. Any one of us could find ourselves in the same situation. And the vast majority of us carry on a regular basis. SO, if the wife HAD been carrying, as I'm guessing she often does, would it have been appropriate to draw her weapon?

I agree with whoever it was that said she should never have pulled over. NEVER give control of the situation to someone else if you can help doing so. Call 911. Give them a description and plate number of the car (if possible) as well as your location, as best you can.

As for drawing your weapon... Well, that's up to you. Personally, I don't consider Snookie a threat. A fashion disaster and a bad example, yes. A threat, no.

Other than pulling over in the first place, I think the wife handle the situation pretty well. I'm glad she's okay.
    "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"I like people who stand on the Constitution... unless they're using it to wipe their feet." - Jon E Hutcherson

Quote Originally Posted by gogodawgs View Post
    Since gogo can't quite see the relation ...

Quote Originally Posted by Metalhead47 View Post
    My wife was not armed at the time, having just come from work, but sure wishes she had been now.
    Perhaps had she kept a firearm secured out of sight in the vehicle while at work, but then gets it into an easily accessible and viewable position and the wild snookie saw it, she may have thought twice about pounding and kicking your wife's car.

There gogo, it's now OC related.

Personally, since I wear an earbud, I would have called 911 and not pulled over. The other driver would still have been on the road being crazy and the cops would have their plate and car description. Then when they catch up they could pull them over and deal with their bad behavior.

Just a question on what started the incident. Did the accident just occur in front of your wife causing her to have to swerve suddenly and avoid it? Or was she not paying attention to what was going on ahead and came up on the scene too fast.

Speaking for myself, I tend to notice a bunch of Brake Lights coming on ahead of me, figure out that something's going on, and slow down before I find myself having to swerve.

As for the encounter at the side of the road, absent a weapon of some kind, even if your wife was armed she'd have a hard time making a case for shooting or even pointing her gun at the "snookie wannabe".
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

According to the op statement of this incident there was nothing they're suggesting deadly force to be used and recommending to pull a weapon and point it at the wannabe snookie need to reevaluate what is and is not a threat that constitutes a threat of deadly force.

Someone as described as swerving toward your car, stopped in the middle of the freeway yelling is no doubt a road rage and why would you want to stop and make sure they are okay? You already know they are not! and want a confrontation.

405 has several exits, call 911 and try and maneuver so snookie is along side and you take an exit at the last second leaving her on the freeway.

I agree with Amlevin, you need to slow down, and be alert when driving these roads as it is common to come across accidents, slow downs and traffic moving in and out.
    Last edited by BigDave; 01-11-2012 at 02:45 PM.
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

I'm still amazed at people's misuse of the words there, their, and they're. These are three different words and have different meanings. Let's try to use them correctly.
    Certified Glock Armorer

"A government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any particular individual citizen..." -- Warren v. District of Columbia, 444 A.2d 1 (D.C. App.181)

A 1911 that works properly is as rare as a Glock that doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by deanf View Post
    Which does not comport with the rules of the OCDO Forum. Why would you assume the forum owners would carve out a special exception to the rules for you? LOL![/COLOR]
    What am I asking for that's so special? As I said, I'm certainly not the first one to post on a topic like this. And it's a heckuvalot closer to "on topic" than some of the tangetns we get into.

Quote Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
    ...and as a learning experience. Any one of us could find ourselves in the same situation. And the vast majority of us carry on a regular basis. SO, if the wife HAD been carrying, as I'm guessing she often does, would it have been appropriate to draw her weapon?

I agree with whoever it was that said she should never have pulled over. NEVER give control of the situation to someone else if you can help doing so. Call 911. Give them a description and plate number of the car (if possible) as well as your location, as best you can.

As for drawing your weapon... Well, that's up to you. Personally, I don't consider Snookie a threat. A fashion disaster and a bad example, yes. A threat, no.

Other than pulling over in the first place, I think the wife handle the situation pretty well. I'm glad she's okay.
    Thanx Bookman. My wife actually carries more than me, about the only time she doesn't is when she's at work, or commuting to/from. Lets just say we are examining options on that front. Yes, snookie was not a threat in this situation, but changer her to one of the roided-out other morons from that show, or had she gotten the door open, that changes the dynamic of the situation entirely.

However, I am seeing a problem with the idea of trying to avoid an obviously disturbed individual while ALSO trying to negotiate rush-hour traffic on 405 AND be on the phone to 911 all at the same time (my wife was able to give 911 a description of the vehicle & partial plate). Pushing that too long seem to beg an accident, which could greatly escalate the whole thing, as well as bring other drivers into it.

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderTattoo View Post
    I'm still amazed at people's misuse of the words there, their, and they're. These are three different words and have different meanings. Let's try to use them correctly.
    They're are times to use the right words but there difficult to figure out when your brain is not their. Your welcome. (yes, I know it's you're.)

As to the OP I agree with those who say to keep driving and attempt to contact 911. Road rage incidents can lead to the innocent party being accused of instigating. This would cloud the issue of whether appropriate deadly force was used.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Some of you may know that my Sweet Baboo was attacked while driving in Mt Vernon last month. Lori was rammed by a drugged up woman in a stolen car. Rather than pulling over and getting out of her miata she moved down the road. She ended up getting hit four times and still maintained control of the vehicle. The flew thru MV at seventy and the BG broke off just before Lori pulled into the Sheriffs parking lot. The BG drove into a house and MVPD got her. Lori was unarmed that night. I don't like thinking about what she would have done if her vehicle had been disabled. She's scrappy though. Keep the pistol where you can get to it and keep wasp spray in the glovebox sounds better to her now.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by GreenIsFaster View Post
    ROFL if I could upvote you or "like" this I would
    "Anyone worth shooting once is worth shooting twice." -Zeus

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!" - Malcolm Reynolds

EDC = Walther PPQ 9mm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast