• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Scary road rage incident happened to my wife

SpyderTattoo

I'm still amazed at people's misuse of the words there, their, and they're. These are three different words and have different meanings. Let's try to use them correctly.

Metalhead47

Which does not comport with the rules of the OCDO Forum. Why would you assume the forum owners would carve out a special exception to the rules for you? LOL![/COLOR]

What am I asking for that's so special? As I said, I'm certainly not the first one to post on a topic like this. And it's a heckuvalot closer to "on topic:rolleyes:" than some of the tangetns we get into.

...and as a learning experience. Any one of us could find ourselves in the same situation. And the vast majority of us carry on a regular basis. SO, if the wife HAD been carrying, as I'm guessing she often does, would it have been appropriate to draw her weapon?

I agree with whoever it was that said she should never have pulled over. NEVER give control of the situation to someone else if you can help doing so. Call 911. Give them a description and plate number of the car (if possible) as well as your location, as best you can.

As for drawing your weapon... Well, that's up to you. Personally, I don't consider Snookie a threat. A fashion disaster and a bad example, yes. A threat, no.

Other than pulling over in the first place, I think the wife handle the situation pretty well. I'm glad she's okay.

Thanx Bookman. My wife actually carries more than me, about the only time she doesn't is when she's at work, or commuting to/from. Lets just say we are examining options on that front. Yes, snookie was not a threat in this situation, but changer her to one of the roided-out other morons from that show, or had she gotten the door open, that changes the dynamic of the situation entirely.

However, I am seeing a problem with the idea of trying to avoid an obviously disturbed individual while ALSO trying to negotiate rush-hour traffic on 405 AND be on the phone to 911 all at the same time (my wife was able to give 911 a description of the vehicle & partial plate). Pushing that too long seem to beg an accident, which could greatly escalate the whole thing, as well as bring other drivers into it.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I'm still amazed at people's misuse of the words there, their, and they're. These are three different words and have different meanings. Let's try to use them correctly.

They're are times to use the right words but there difficult to figure out when your brain is not their. Your welcome. (yes, I know it's you're.) :D

As to the OP I agree with those who say to keep driving and attempt to contact 911. Road rage incidents can lead to the innocent party being accused of instigating. This would cloud the issue of whether appropriate deadly force was used.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Some of you may know that my Sweet Baboo was attacked while driving in Mt Vernon last month. Lori was rammed by a drugged up woman in a stolen car. Rather than pulling over and getting out of her miata she moved down the road. She ended up getting hit four times and still maintained control of the vehicle. The flew thru MV at seventy and the BG broke off just before Lori pulled into the Sheriffs parking lot. The BG drove into a house and MVPD got her. Lori was unarmed that night. I don't like thinking about what she would have done if her vehicle had been disabled. She's scrappy though. Keep the pistol where you can get to it and keep wasp spray in the glovebox sounds better to her now.

SovereignAxe

Snooki-South-Park.png

ROFL if I could upvote you or "like" this I would

jeeper1

So from the caricature of snookie I conclude that snookie is a squatting sow?

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Really GoGo?
asset.php
This is a forum where general self defense, especially as it relates to Washington law, is frequently discussed.

Yes but you state:

What am I asking for that's so special? As I said, I'm certainly not the first one to post on a topic like this. And it's a heckuvalot closer to "on topic:rolleyes:" than some of the tangetns we get into.

Yes, snookie was not a threat in this situation, but changer her to one of the roided-out other morons from that show, or had she gotten the door open, that changes the dynamic of the situation entirely.

However, I am seeing a problem with the idea of trying to avoid an obviously disturbed individual while ALSO trying to negotiate rush-hour traffic on 405 AND be on the phone to 911 all at the same time (my wife was able to give 911 a description of the vehicle & partial plate). Pushing that too long seem to beg an accident, which could greatly escalate the whole thing, as well as bring other drivers into it.

And BigDave concurs:

According to the op statement of this incident there was nothing they're suggesting deadly force to be used and recommending to pull a weapon and point it at the wannabe snookie need to reevaluate what is and is not a threat that constitutes a threat of deadly force.

Someone as described as swerving toward your car, stopped in the middle of the freeway yelling is no doubt a road rage and why would you want to stop and make sure they are okay? You already know they are not! and want a confrontation.

405 has several exits, call 911 and try and maneuver so snookie is along side and you take an exit at the last second leaving her on the freeway.

I agree with Amlevin, you need to slow down, and be alert when driving these roads as it is common to come across accidents, slow downs and traffic moving in and out.

So you state that she is not a threat, therefore not self-defense related and others concur. The only thing I see is that your wife illegally pulled over on the side of a freeway.

Metalhead47

Yes but you state:

And BigDave concurs:

So you state that she is not a threat, therefore not self-defense related and others concur. The only thing I see is that your wife illegally pulled over on the side of a freeway.

So you don't consider attempted carjacking and assault a self defense matter? Pulling over on the freeway is perfectly legal in an emergency. You do not consider a deranged individual who has already broken enough laws for an aggressive driving charge trying to cause an accident and run someone off the road an emergency?

Really man, I expected better from you. Will you be so quick to jump on the next person who posts one of these what if encounters?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FMJ 911

Personally, I wouldn't have a problem with "Putting it to the wood" and just getting the hell away from the enemy driver. Yeah, just try to keep up with my '68 Porsche 911. Simple steps to get away: While driving at 55-60 MPH Drop gearbox into 3rd, push accelerator pedal to the floor and hold it there until the tachometer hits redline(7,000 RPM), then quickly shift to 4th gear. You'll be at 100 MPH in a flash.

If driving with an Automatic, then just push the accelerator to the floor and keep it there. My Dad has been chased before, and that's what he did. Never stop, that gives them the chance to get the jump on you. Never get out of your car either. Also make sure to call 911 if someone pursues you.

I have had people flip me krap on the freeway, but they never followed me when I took an exit.

My idea is to simply rocket away and leave their sight. they can't chase something they can't see.

There's other options besides mine. Use what works for you.

Bucks Gun Shop

Metal:

Here is my $0.02 on this highly illicit thread... Sounds to me like to have a "together" wife... Keep her around... The only thing that I believe she did wrong was pulling over... While I understand her concern about someone causing an accident -- her number 1 priority in this situation is her own safety... Hate to say it, but to hell with everyone else... Next time - focus on escape and evasion and then dial 911... Let the police sort it all out...

I am glad that she is safe!!!!

sudden valley gunner

So you don't consider attempted carjacking and assault a self defense matter? Pulling over on the freeway is perfectly legal in an emergency. You do not consider a deranged individual who has already broken enough laws for an aggressive driving charge trying to cause an accident and run someone off the road an emergency?

Really man, I expected better from you. Will you be so quick to jump on the next person who posts one of these what if encounters?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't worry about it Metal. If the mods haven't shut you down just keep on keeping on. It's not like they haven't had or contributed to off topic threads themselves. It's just they don't like yours for some reason. Bookman is spot on in his assessment.

Or you could even ask for this thread to be moved to Social Lounge.

skiingislife725

Geez some people need to relax a bit...by my count, it looks like half of the posts on the first page aren't directly related to OC. If we didn't have these posts that are quasi-related to OC, then all we'd be talking about is when to meet again for coffee.

Now, to the armchair quarterbacking! Metal, it sounds like your wife did pretty well...but I'm thinking that if she didn't have anything to back herself up with (mace/firearm/flamethrower/etc), I would have kept driving. But then again, I'm always jumping to the what-if's and the worst-cases and want to be prepared for it.

Oh and MSG, you mentioned that your wife is going to be or has been carrying wasp spray? Any reason why she'd be better off using this versus a product designed for defense? Don't get me wrong, you use whats accessible at the time, but I'd rather set myself up with something with a more proven track record like OC spray which turns 95% of us into instant whiny biatch. There's also, if I remember right, the warning on the wasp spray about it being a federal crime to use the product in a manner not intended (i.e. using a toxin on another human being)...but this is obviously a secondary reason, the first being I'd rather have something I know will likely stop someone. Anyways, not doggin' on ya MSG, just want us to be safe and prepared with the right equipment out there...especially in Mount Vernon. lol

amlevin

There's also, if I remember right, the warning on the wasp spray about it being a federal crime to use the product in a manner not intended (i.e. using a toxin on another human being)...

But isn't it's intended purpose to deal with Pests? Besides, it's less lethal than 124gr of jacketed lead.

Then there's also hairspray and a lighter. Even if you miss it sends a clear message.

Metalhead47

Don't worry about it Metal. If the mods haven't shut you down just keep on keeping on. It's not like they haven't had or contributed to off topic threads themselves. It's just they don't like yours for some reason. Bookman is spot on in his assessment.

Or you could even ask for this thread to be moved to Social Lounge.

Geez some people need to relax a bit...by my count, it looks like half of the posts on the first page aren't directly related to OC. If we didn't have these posts that are quasi-related to OC, then all we'd be talking about is when to meet again for coffee.

Now, to the armchair quarterbacking! Metal, it sounds like your wife did pretty well...but I'm thinking that if she didn't have anything to back herself up with (mace/firearm/flamethrower/etc), I would have kept driving. But then again, I'm always jumping to the what-if's and the worst-cases and want to be prepared for it.

Oh and MSG, you mentioned that your wife is going to be or has been carrying wasp spray? Any reason why she'd be better off using this versus a product designed for defense? Don't get me wrong, you use whats accessible at the time, but I'd rather set myself up with something with a more proven track record like OC spray which turns 95% of us into instant whiny biatch. There's also, if I remember right, the warning on the wasp spray about it being a federal crime to use the product in a manner not intended (i.e. using a toxin on another human being)...but this is obviously a secondary reason, the first being I'd rather have something I know will likely stop someone. Anyways, not doggin' on ya MSG, just want us to be safe and prepared with the right equipment out there...especially in Mount Vernon. lol

Thanks for the support guys. I concur that in 99% of such situations escape & evasion is the order of the day, but my wife is adamant that due to conditions as they were at that specific time, that just wasn't an option, so I believe her. Best advice I've heard so far is OC spray, kind of a "DUH!" moment. That's not something either one of us could carry around on a daily basis but could easily live in the truck (among other things now
asset.php
). We'll be picking some up this weekend and hopefully doing some practice.

Oh, one more note, this whole thing didn't get started because she was going too fast or not paying attention. Drive around here long enough and one will see that other people will randomly slam on their brakes for no apparent reason, or do other things that demand a quick response. Simply slamming on your own brakes isn't necessarily the most prudent option. And since snookie was also alone in her vehicle, she shouldn't have been in the HOV lane in the first place...

FMCDH

SNIP...

Oh, one more note, this whole thing didn't get started because she was going too fast or not paying attention. Drive around here long enough and one will see that other people will randomly slam on their brakes for no apparent reason, or do other things that demand a quick response. Simply slamming on your own brakes isn't necessarily the most prudent option. And since snookie was also alone in her vehicle, she shouldn't have been in the HOV lane in the first place...

Just FYI

After 1900 hours, anyone can use the HOV lane on 405. The times of use are posted on most all the signs.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Sweet Baboo and I went down to the VA hospital today for a sched appointment. That put us on I5 for about three hours driving time(down&up). We saw a bunch with phones in their ears, One was actually texting on an I pad while balancing it on the steering wheel. The best was the woman holding a bowl of cereal in the left hand, spoon in the right going from bowl to mouth. Steering the car with her knees. Let's just be careful out there!