• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

laser sights

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Yes, and gave it to a friend that likes gun toys and has more money than good cents.

I was taught to keep it dark when its dark. The arguments against lights are that they benefit BOTH shooters, the good guy and the bad guy. They make great targets.

The range where I trained could have any level of light on the target, in the alley or on the shooter. Play with shooting at the after image of the target from a flash of light.

Last edited:

Firearms Iinstuctor

I have used a laser on a few of differant pistols. They can make hitting very easy.

I was training a older guy the other day 79yoa His eye sight wasn't the best his hands were shaky but at 10 yards he was able to group them well. He was able to call head shots. Ruger sp101 with laser grip.

I am able to call head shots from the hip at 30 yards with my laser equiped 22 pistol.

They do have there place and can be a great aid in shooting.

Down side they do give away your position. But we are not talking miltary here 99 percent of the time the bad guy is going to know you are there and where you are. You are not going to use your laser as a seach light or to ID you target. You are going to turn it on when you have a target and are going to shoot most likely your going to be giving commands and your target knows your there.

I really like them for the ability of having your pistol in another posittion then in both hands in front of you and still be able to hit your target. From close in on the hip where your hand gun is well protected from a grab. One is able to hit very well with them.

They work well as a training aid also

Used properly they can be a good tool as with any thing that uses batterys they can fail.

TyGuy

I have the Lasermax guide rod lasers on my primary home defense pistol and primary CCW pistol. I train mostly with iron sights, but I like having the option. If I am hurt, or in a strange position (injured, laying on my back only able to use one arm or even barely able to move that arm at all), or my wife (who is a decent shot, but not as confident as me) or anyone else needs to use the firearm I like that there is a point and shoot option. I tried the lasers that attach to the rear of the grip, but I didn't like that they activated EVERY time I held the firearm. They also added bulk, which matters when CCWing. I like the internal one as it doesn't add weight, bulk, and can be turned on or off at your discretion. They also don't need to be sighted in. Of course they aren't going to be dead on at 25 yards, but for personal defense encounters they are great.

I say if you want an alternative to iron sights and have the money then get one. I haven't been disappointed.

TyGuy

*I see lasers as another tool to compliment the tool of the firearm. NOTHING replaces trigger time and being able to put rounds on target, but having another option is always a good thing. That's why I also carry the non lethal option of pepper spray. I also have the option of the KaBar TDI knife that I carry in case I get into a wrestling match for my firearm. I want all the tools available to me that I can effectively and discretely carry.

I need a utility belt like Batman, minus the shark repellant.

bigdaddy1

Lasers can be useful on the range, but I wouldn't use one. In my training I learned the 3 3's. Most gunfights (I really hate that term by the way) happen with in 3 feet, last less than 3 seconds and have 3 shots or less fired. Don't bother asking for proof and all that crap, that is what the instructor said!:dude:

So in many real life applications, a laser would not be as helpful as they make it look in the movies.

JJC

Lasers can be useful on the range, but I wouldn't use one. In my training I learned the 3 3's. Most gunfights (I really hate that term by the way) happen with in 3 feet, last less than 3 seconds and have 3 shots or less fired. Don't bother asking for proof and all that crap, that is what the instructor said!:dude:

So in many real life applications, a laser would not be as helpful as they make it look in the movies.

I've heard that quote from a few different instructors.

JJC

TyGuy

I wouldn't say they are for everybody (heck they are expensive) but neither is carrying a firearm. The chances of you needing to defend your life with a firearm are slim, just like the chances of you needing a laser. Again, if you have the extra $$$ and want another tool at your disposal then get one. If you have the extra $$$ and want to buy something else instead then do that. It's up to you to decide how to spend your hard earned money!

user

Accomplished Advocate
My preference is for Crimson Trace - very reliable, good customer service, easy to calibrate. How to use a laser sighting device: don't. Use tritium nightsights (my preference there is for TruGlow TFO) for initial target acquisition; only use the laser at the last second just before you're definitely going to pull the trigger for adding precision to what you've already done with the nightsights. Here's why: If you've ever watched kids playing "laser tag", you'll notice that they target each other by watching for the laser beams - because it's a coherent linear beam, all you have to do is follow it back to its origin - even if you can't see the target that's there, you can still start shooting at it. So if you use a laser for "sighting" rather than for last second precision correction, you turn yourself into a target.

TyGuy

I would have prefered it to be Gandalf with an AR, but hey I'll take what I can get.

Anyway... lasers eh?

Jesse

Having used them in Iraq I am a big fan of laser sights and having as many options available for my use as reasonably possible. For home defense the application is entirely different but I figure it falls into the "better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it" category of things.

GlocksRfun

I'm a fan

Makes for good training as well. Can really see how much you flinch and what not. Good to refine a nice smooth trigger pull. Accurate, built well, Lasermax is an awesome company. They've sent me free stuff on a couple of occasions. I got nothing bad to say about them. Good for instinctive shooting, or shooting without looking down the sights. And they are just so darn fun.

Last edited: