• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can a shrouded hammer be fired inside a pocket

fire suppressor

Anyone with more revolver experience than I know if a shrouded hammer can be fired inside a coat pocket? I am looking at getting a S&W 649 but want to make sure the shrouded hammer could fire inside my coat pocket without the hammer getting stuck on my jacket. Looking at the picture it looks like it should be able to but would like a second option

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...57912_757910_757787_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Anyone with more revolver experience than I know if a shrouded hammer can be fired inside a coat pocket? I am looking at getting a S&W 649 but want to make sure the shrouded hammer could fire inside my coat pocket without the hammer getting stuck on my jacket. Looking at the picture it looks like it should be able to but would like a second option
A second option would be an automatic, but, yes, any gun without an exposed hammer/striker will fire.

09jisaac

It may work every single time that you want to fire it from your pocket. But you are taking a risk of getting little things like keys/change/pocket lint in between the hammer and the firing pin/firing pin primer. So, if you are determined to carry it in a pocket (probably unholstered as it would be difficult to draw within your pocket) I would suggest something more along the lines of the 640 with an internal hammer and advise you to carry ONLY your gun in that pocket and keep it and your gun clean. Also I would stay away from automatics as your clothing will probably hinder the cycling so much that it would only be a one shot gun.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_764958_-1_757768_757767_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
A shrouded hammer revolver should be able to fire repeatedly from inside your coat pocket. You may face a number of problems, though - starting with hot gases escaping from the cylinder gap, and ending up with a coat pocket lining blizzard. In between those two extreme ends are things like the revolver twisting out of position unless it was carried in a properly functioning pocket holster (not all are made alike or work alike) and "stuff" getting into either the muzzle end of the barrel, inside the cylinder gap, inside the trigger guard, up behind the trigger and frame or inside the lockwork, and ending up with "pocket junk" stuck in that channel where the hammer rides back and forth under the shroud.

Having said all that, let me also say that I have carried a shrounded-hammer revolver in a coat pocket many a time, and on two occassions fired it from inside the pocket. Worked like a champ both times!

stay safe.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
fire suppressor,

Yes, it will fire. But as always, if you carry a "pocket-gun" do NOT carry ANYTHING ELSE in the same pocket. ONLY the gun. And consider a pocket-holster than orients the gun in the same way inside the pocket so you always know where the grip is every time you reach for it (no "surprises" or fumbling for the grip)!

As for your clothes catching fire, it's possible, but if you need to be shooting your gun, then you have MUCH more serious issues to be concerned about than your clothes!

...kind of like the people who worry about re-holstering their guns, that they have trouble getting a gun back INTO its holster after drawing it -- forget it: You really don't care about getting a gun INTO a holster, you only care about getting it OUT. If you survive the encounter, you've PLENTY of time to get it back INTO the holster...if you don't survive then it doesn't matter, does it.

So your pants or sport-coat MIGHT catch fire -- you're still alive, buy another. Or go through the BG's pocket ("just looking for identification") and have HIM pay for your replacement clothing -- and maybe even extra $$ for going out to dinner or whatever. Works for me.

;-)

Last edited:

Dreamer

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...57912_757910_757787_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

I'd be more worried about the gun firing without my intention to do so.

Most carry-related NDs are from people carrying guns around loose in their pockets without a proper pocket holster. And a proper pocket holster would pretty much prevent you from firing from your pocket, because it completely covers the trigger.

Dreamer

If you are CCing, you shouldn't need to worry about firing from your pocket, because CC affords you the mystical and unassailable "Tacticool Advantage (tm)" that magically enables CCers to "get the drop" on an armed, violent assailant who already has the drop on them.

If you are ever attacked with deadly force, your CC permit will begin glowing with mystical energy, alerting you to the danger, and causing a break in the time-space continuum, which allows you, from concealment, to out-shoot someone who is already pointing a gun at you with their finger on the trigger.

Everyone knows this...

<sarcasm OFF>

blgreene89

Yes, it can I have considered getting a s&w 438 for a backup gun. I love that shrouded hammer for the pocket shooting option and I am a CC.

Blake

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
"And a proper pocket holster would pretty much prevent you from firing from your pocket, because it completely covers the trigger."

A "proper" pocket hoslter can also come in a version you CAN shoot while the gun is still in it and still in the pocket...if that's what the OP wants to do.

Personally, however, I'd prefer to draw a "pocket gun" from said pocket in order to use it...if one MUST shoot while it's still in the pocket, that MIGHT indicate one's situational awareness needs improvement. I wouldn't want to play a game of "catch-up" with my assailant as he is likely already to have the advantage of surprise and that'd give a 2nd advantage to him. Consequently, I would hope to see trouble coming and have time to prepare to draw (or actually draw) and not let anyone get too close for a from-the-pocket shooting situation!

Last edited:

09jisaac

Personally, however, I'd prefer to draw a "pocket gun" from said pocket in order to use it...if one MUST shoot while it's still in the pocket, that MIGHT indicate one's situational awareness needs improvement. I wouldn't want to play a game of "catch-up" with my assailant as he is likely already to have the advantage of surprise and that'd give a 2nd advantage to him. Consequently, I would hope to see trouble coming and have time to prepare to draw (or actually draw) and not let anyone get too close for a from-the-pocket shooting situation!

In a perfect world you wouldn't need a firearm for self defense.

fire suppressor

Thank you everyone for your input I was raised with firearms and have been shooting for 15+ years, but what I am figuring out is automatic pistol knowledge does not transfer into revolver knowledge. I have been researching revolvers for a few months now and the 649 is my front runner but want to try and cover every angle. Thanks for the help

Last edited:

KBCraig

"And a proper pocket holster would pretty much prevent you from firing from your pocket, because it completely covers the trigger."

A "proper" pocket hoslter can also come in a version you CAN shoot while the gun is still in it and still in the pocket...if that's what the OP wants to do.

Unfortunately, such holsters also come with up to five years in federal prison, unless registered and taxed as an Any Other Weapon.

Yes, it is ridiculous. I've also seen it used to prosecute someone who was being very very strange, but committing no other crime.

okiebryan

Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
Unfortunately, such holsters also come with up to five years in federal prison, unless registered and taxed as an Any Other Weapon.

Yes, it is ridiculous. I've also seen it used to prosecute someone who was being very very strange, but committing no other crime.

I'm calling BS on this statement. Please, PLEASE cite any federal law or court precedent that would indicate that this makes my perfectly legal P3AT into an AOW.

http://www.hinterlandoutfitters.com/desantis-110bjr7z0-pocket-shot-pocket-holster-black-ruger-keltec-model-p3at-kahr-sauer-p238-taurus-leather-p-40318.html

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
If you look up that Desantis holster on the Desantis website, there is a link for a .pdf of letter from ATF saying the holster does not fit the definition of "any other weapon." The distinction seems to be that the holster does not conceal the nature of the gun whereas other similar AOWs conceal the nature of the weapon. The letter dates from June 2000.

2A Pride

To answer the OP's initial question, yes, it will shoot through the pocket. About two months ago I tested my 638 with an old raincoat I no longer wear. The raincoat even had cotton-lined pockets, and all 5 shots fired successfully with no malfunctions and no human combustion (just minor burn marks on the lining and a good amount of powder residue). I found all five shots successfully hit center mass at 7 yards (about an 8" group) using very elementary point shooting.

KBCraig

I'm calling BS on this statement. Please, PLEASE cite any federal law or court precedent that would indicate that this makes my perfectly legal P3AT into an AOW.

http://www.hinterlandoutfitters.com/desantis-110bjr7z0-pocket-shot-pocket-holster-black-ruger-keltec-model-p3at-kahr-sauer-p238-taurus-leather-p-40318.html

Scroll down to Wallet Holsters:

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/guides/identification-of-nfa-firearms.html

If DeSantis has an ATF ruling that their holster is not an AOW, it's because it doesn't disguise its true nature as a firearm while remaining fireable.

Feel free to retract your call.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Scroll down to Wallet Holsters:

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/guides/identification-of-nfa-firearms.html

If DeSantis has an ATF ruling that their holster is not an AOW, it's because it doesn't disguise its true nature as a firearm while remaining fireable.

Feel free to retract your call.

Thanks for the link KB. It would help if the ATF would cite the statute section or quote the language of the statute so readers can understand better.

Of course, understanding is not what ATF wants. It wants compliance with its decrees. And, besides, a pesky subject might take into his head to differ with their "interpretation" of statute language.