• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

DPS fingerprinting backlog?

hansmike

So I'm on week 11 after submitting my prints and application with my town (Granby). I submitted on 10/26/2011. I called the police station and they said they haven't received anything back from the state on any applications submitted after September. So then I called DPS and several transfers later I got the fingerprinting department. I told him my brief story and he responded that there was a 14 week backlog on sending fingerprints to the FBI. My questions are

Has anyone else been experiencing a long wait period?
Doesn't the DPS just have to put the prints in an envelope and mail it to the FBI? They receive it electronically and send it back to the local PD. How in the heck could this take so long?
Why did the worker answer the phone when theres 14 weeks of work to do?
Aren't my taxes and fees paying for this service that I'm not receiving?
Should I contact my State Attorney or Congressmen or do you think they don't care?

hansmike

thanks for the info Rich, unfortunately, I did not get the name of the individual at the office of identification. The women I spoke to before the male had told me it was the fingerprinting office.

Rich B

thanks for the info Rich, unfortunately, I did not get the name of the individual at the office of identification. The women I spoke to before the male had told me it was the fingerprinting office.

Always get the name of the person you are speaking to when speaking to government officials. Otherwise, nothing they say means anything.

smokeyburnout

From start to finish it took 7 1/2 weeks for me to get my permit. I filed in october so it seems their liein to you. Unless they pick and choose who gets done in no order whatsoever the ur local pd difnt submit the prints right away. They sat on em.

Rich Clavet

Waiting Also

This past Friday January 13 makes 13 weeks since my and my wife's permit application submission to the Cheshire PD. They indicate that CTDPS hasn't return my application despite being approved by the FBI & town. I've been calling every two weeks and have received courteous responses. After reading some of these posts, I'm starting to get suspicious.

Good Citizen

File at the Board of firearms permit exmainers

This past Friday January 13 makes 13 weeks since my and my wife's permit application submission to the Cheshire PD. They indicate that CTDPS hasn't return my application despite being approved by the FBI & town. I've been calling every two weeks and have received courteous responses. After reading some of these posts, I'm starting to get suspicious.

File at the Board of firearms permit exmainers, it is a simple very simple process and form and will promt them to call, which usually light a fire under there you know where. 8 weeks is a technical denial, Period! Your wifes rights are being violated. A womans application in cheshire given the whole home invasion thing U figure they would be a little more sensitive about that matter, anyway it sound like brearucratic lazyness, do yoursel a favor and just file

Contact Us:

As of January 17, 2012 the Board's new address is:

Office of Governmental Accountability
Attn. Board of Firearms Permit Examiners
20 Trinity St. 5th floor
Hartford, CT 06106

As of January 6, 2012 the Board's new phone number is: 860-256-2977

and the 5th Floor fax number is 860-256-2997*

*the fax is shared with other agencies so be sure to use a cover letter.

E-Mail: firearm.permit.appeals@po.state.ct.us

Last edited:

Rich B

What are your dates?

1) Submission of completed application and fingerprints to PD.
2) The date the PD sent your fingerprints out to the SPBI.
3) The date your FBI report was received back from the SPBI.

Rich Clavet

What are your dates?

Our completed application & fingerprints October 17, 2011.
The rest of the dates I will be formally requesting from the Cheshire PD.

jessejames49us

Fingerprinted Jan 03, 2012

After seven attempts of either a note on the door, a shooting fatality and/ or waiting in line to get fingerprinted for the handgun permit, starting Dec 20 and finally ending Jan 3, I was told it would take 3 MONTHS to get my permit back by the fingerprinting officer, a very nice guy, who apparently is the only person who fingerprints anything that needs this, including being called out to a shooting fatality.

Has anyone in Stamford been waiting for their permit past the three month mark?

Jesse

JeepinMaxx

What are your dates?

Here's a response that I got from one of my students today:

"Just called FBI number to check status.
According to recorded message/prompts it is taking 8 weeks to process background checks
and no info is available for the first 4 weeks due to security reasons."

I originally assumed all the delay was with the CT state background response... Maybe the lag time with FBI background check is compounding the wait time (I still advise to appeal the permit submission at the 8 week mark...)

Last edited:

Rich B

After seven attempts of either a note on the door, a shooting fatality and/ or waiting in line to get fingerprinted for the handgun permit, starting Dec 20 and finally ending Jan 3, I was told it would take 3 MONTHS to get my permit back by the fingerprinting officer, a very nice guy, who apparently is the only person who fingerprints anything that needs this, including being called out to a shooting fatality.

Has anyone in Stamford been waiting for their permit past the three month mark?

Jesse

What dates do you have?

Rich B

Here's a response that I got from one of my students today:

"Just called FBI number to check status.
According to recorded message/prompts it is taking 8 weeks to process background checks
and no info is available for the first 4 weeks due to security reasons."

I originally assumed all the delay was with the CT state background response... Maybe the lag time with FBI background check is compounding the wait time (I still advise to appeal the permit submission at the 8 week mark...)

The FBI records check is an automated process that should take no more than 48 hours.

The SPBI is reporting a 4 week backlog and that is being looked into right now.

smokeyburnout

when I called the FBI customer support line while my fingerprints were being done their automated line announces they have an 8 week backlog on fingerprints. While speaking with a rep I was told it takes from 12-48 hours for prints to be checked and results sent to the requesting authority. I was also told I couldnt be told the results for some nondescript reason but all the same I received my permit in 7 1/2 weeks.
Honestly, I doubt this issue has anything to do with any fingerprinting backlog and has more to do with some police departments dragging their heels when submitting the paperwork. Like I said earlier there should be no other reason why I received my permit before the OP when I submitted my paperwork after him.

GOPer

I got my prints taken on October 25th at West Hartford PD. I called the FBI in December and they said that on November 17th they received the prints, processed, and sent them back the same day.

Looks like they are just jerking your chain.

hansmike

GOPer, yeah, I figured that... I'm not sure who's yanking my chain, the PD said DPS is backlogged, then DPS said that they're backlogged. Yet, several people such as yourself got your permits. Either the PD sat on it for 7 weeks then sent it out AND the DPS is actually backlogged, or someone's screwing with me and the other people having these issues.

Who in the FBI did you call and what information did you give them? Considering I got fingerprinted the same time you did, I'm curious to see if mine went through to the FBI. Thanks for your help

I'm reluctant to file for an appeal because on that application and questionaire they want a record of my driving violations which is another $30. I've had 2 speeding tickets and the last one was over 10 years ago. Then, looking at the board of appeals site, it looks like the next closest date for an appeal is August 9th.

To stay optimistic, as messed up as this state is, at least its not New York, California, or Massachusetts.

Rich B

it looks like the next closest date for an appeal is August 9th.

And everyday you wait you push that date out, so what does waiting accomplish? Appeal as soon as you have all three dates. Start calling for the dates now.

SPBI:
http://www.ct.gov/dps/cwp/view.asp?a=2154&q=294426

FBI:
CJIS Customer Service Group at (304) 625-5590

You are the customer and these dates are public information. The SPBI has the duty under the FOI act to provide you with 'prompt access' to this information. If they don't want to to give it to you, ask them when it will be available to pick up in person.

Last edited:

KIX

Calling the FBI is useless. you'll get a different answer every time.

Rich is right, it is an automated process, scan and send.

People are getting their permits in less than a month in some towns. I'm sure they don't have a magic wand or anything to get their prints through quicker.

Jonathan