• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

DPS fingerprinting backlog?

KIX

I definitely would like a copy as I've been battling Hartford for over 3 months now for a few people through my site.

Hartford is doing A LOT more to create a backlog that has NOTHING to do with the state. Combine the two of them and it's hell actually trying to exercise your civil rights.

My email is jonathan@ctgunsafety.com

This should be a hoot. I've documented a lot of the Hartford nonsense on my site at www.ctpistolpermitissues.com

Jonathan

CTSurvivor

The whole fingerprint thing in CT is bullcrap. Years ago when I got my permit I waited 17 1/2 weeks in Ansonia. They claimed the FBI lost my prints. I called bull on it and told him to have the chief to issue me a temporary until it came back. Two days later I got the call they were done, how convenient.

Along the same lines, I have my Georgia permit and they electronically scan your fingerprints. The fastest 4 days of my life to get a permit there. Simply no excuse for CT to take so long.

Freiheit417

Kudos Mr. Peruta..I would love to see that list as well when it becomes available. It is extremely discouraging and frustrating to be told (more or less)"it is what it is, deal with it!" my completed application was submitted November 18, according to records it was sent out on November 21. FBI stated package was received on December 13 and returned on December 13 as well. Contacted Paul in fingerprints who informed me of the 8-12 week "backlog" The surprising part is that when bringing up the 8 week timeframe with my town, the person responsible for processing the applications had no idea what I was talking about. I had to refer her to the last section of the application which states the board should be notified in the event that the application has not been processed within 8 weeks. Her response was "the state does not want to even hear from us if it has not hit 14 weeks" and even though the state has recieved my FBI check , she still had to wait for the state check to be returned as well before she can have the chief sign off. In a previous interaction she mentioned that she HAS recieved responses back for people that were in my group sent the week of 11/21, and shortly before, just not mine and a few others.So it appears there is no real order in which they are being processed, which could be part of the overall problem.Also,Paul in fingerprints mentioned a memo sent to all local authorities NOT to contact them in regards to the status of background checks;as they are understaffed. I hit 9 weeks tomorrow (1/20) and truly did not want to go through the appeal process but it seems like that is the only way besides waiting. Thank you all for your valuable information, at least someone is listening and can relate.

I went to Plymouth PD today to request an application on behalf of my wife. The dispatcher promptly provided the app. and said something like "the FBI background check used to come back in about 2 weeks, but they just received a memorandum from DPS stating it will now take 14-18 weeks for it." I asked for a copy of it, but he said he wasn't sure he could release it to me since it was an inter-departmental memo.

This confirms what "Paul in fingerprints" said.

KIX

Seems like that document can be requested easily enough.....

Jonathan

Rich B

I went to Plymouth PD today to request an application on behalf of my wife. The dispatcher promptly provided the app. and said something like "the FBI background check used to come back in about 2 weeks, but they just received a memorandum from DPS stating it will now take 14-18 weeks for it." I asked for a copy of it, but he said he wasn't sure he could release it to me since it was an inter-departmental memo.

This confirms what "Paul in fingerprints" said.

The problem is not the FBI check. That comes back in 48 hours or less.

The problem is SPBI is sitting on them and not returning them to the local PDs.

http://ctcarry.com/Issues/SPBIBacklog

Freiheit417

The problem is not the FBI check. That comes back in 48 hours or less.

The problem is SPBI is sitting on them and not returning them to the local PDs.

Agreed. I believe the dispatcher was speaking of the "FBI background check" in a general sense and not necessarily blaming it on the FBI. He is most likely not aware of the underlying issue as has been discussed here already.

davidmcbeth

Banned
There is no excuse for SPBI to have a backlog of even one permit application. They are denying people a fundamental human right with their procrastination.

The DPS needs to provide answers for this.

If it was a fundamental right, you would need no permit.

And that's my viewpoint.

xjwalt666

Well the backlog can't really be too bad or they have straightened it out some. I got the letter today from my town. Was 30 days from time I did prints til I got the letter.

RCZJ

Ok folks, I'm going to copy some of the email I sent Rich. I informed him via http://www.ctcarry.com that I would be going over to Middletown on Friday to check on the status of my background check. I submitted to my local authority during the first few days of January. Both me and my wife's application is listed on the redacted pdf file showing dates of application submissions and the local authorities that they were submitted to.

I go to Middletown about 2:30. (What a pain to get into that place.) I get directed over to records from the guy issuing permits because he doesn't know a thing about any backlog. That's not his job. I guess they just take your temp permit, money, and DPS-46-C. In return, they take your picture and give you the State permit. At any reate, I now walk across the hall into Records. I tell the woman behind the little window that my local authority has yet to receive my background check from here even though the FBI has sent their response back to the State.
You could immediately see a change in her demeanor. It was somewhere between the 'deer in the headlights' and 'what do I tell this person to make them go away'.
She proceeds to tell me that they are currently 3 to 6 months behind. They moved the office around. They lost people due to the Governor. And that they get '300 to 500 of those 'things' in a day and they just pile up'. Yes, she said 300 to 500 of those 'things' in a day. She was trying to find the right word to say for a second or two, but she said 'things' rather than background checks/applications. When she finished, I asked was there anything I could do to help or expedite the process. She said that there wasn't. I just had to wait. 'Sorry.'

Last edited:

hansmike

300-500 a day? Wtf? I find it hard to believe they process 100k-150k a year. Sounds like she was trying to get rid of you.
At the beginning of January, I was told there was a 4-6 week backlog, 2 weeks later, there was a 8-12 week backlog, last week, a 14-16 backlog, and now a 3-6 month? I think it might be time to get our congressmen heavily involved. This is a fundamental constitutional RIGHT that the SPBI is blatantly blocking.

xjwalt, I can't believe you got yours already! I'm over 14 weeks now! My FBI check was completed on Dec 8th, a whole month before you even submitted your application! What kind of order does the state process these in? Maybe I'll submit a Freedom of Information request asking when they returned my application to the local PD. MAYBE, just maybe, they would actually get the application in their hand and be like, oh hey, this one's all set, and mail it out... or, they would just put it in the back of the pile. So very frustrating.

Rich B

300-500 a day? Wtf? I find it hard to believe they process 100k-150k a year. Sounds like she was trying to get rid of you.

There are many other things in CT that require background checks. Pistol permits are not the only things the SPBI processes.

As far I know, it is the only human right they deny by not doing their duty though.

At the beginning of January, I was told there was a 4-6 week backlog, 2 weeks later, there was a 8-12 week backlog, last week, a 14-16 backlog, and now a 3-6 month? I think it might be time to get our congressmen heavily involved. This is a fundamental constitutional RIGHT that the SPBI is blatantly blocking.

That is why Connecticut Carry contacted every representative, every senator, the governor, the commissioner of the DPS, local media, national media and anyone else we could.

Read all about what has been done here:

All of our letters are linked there and people can freely use as much of our letters as they want to so that they can spread the word as much as possible.

I'm over 14 weeks now! My FBI check was completed on Dec 8th, a whole month before you even submitted your application! What kind of order does the state process these in? Maybe I'll submit a Freedom of Information request asking when they returned my application to the local PD.

Please get in contact with me: connecticutcarry@gmail.com

I will help you get that date. You need to have appealed a long time ago.

RCZJ

Thanks Ed, because both my wife and I are. We submitted to Norwich on 1/6.

Leverdude

There are many other things in CT that require background checks. Pistol permits are not the only things the SPBI processes.

As far I know, it is the only human right they deny by not doing their duty though.

That is why Connecticut Carry contacted every representative, every senator, the governor, the commissioner of the DPS, local media, national media and anyone else we could.

Read all about what has been done here:

I didnt realize you had contacted everyone already. But I guess multiple complaints about the same thing are better anyway. I might have to write another letter because I hadnt thought about the difference that these checks have compared to others due to them not being rights. So if there WERE a backlog the ONLY right thing to do would be to clear the permit checks first & let the others accumulate if need be. I did suggest that our system is very dated as is evident since every day gun stores run hundreds of checks thru NICS & get results INSTANTLY for free, yet we are waiting many weeks for virtually the same data from the state for a fee. I also suggested that the legislature should mandate that if the 8 week point is reached without a response from the DPS the permit needs to be approved in order to prevent unduly violating the citizens civil rights.

I just joined CC, honestly hadnt noticed you could earlier, and still need to poke around. Are the responses from legislators & others available there someplace?

Last edited:

Rich B

I didnt realize you had contacted everyone already. But I guess multiple complaints about the same thing are better anyway. I might have to write another letter because I hadnt thought about the difference that these checks have compared to others due to them not being rights. So if there WERE a backlog the ONLY right thing to do would be to clear the permit checks first & let the others accumulate if need be. I did suggest that our system is very dated as is evident since every day gun stores run hundreds of checks thru NICS & get results INSTANTLY for free, yet we are waiting many weeks for virtually the same data from the state for a fee. I also suggested that the legislature should mandate that if the 8 week point is reached without a response from the DPS the permit needs to be approved in order to prevent unduly violating the citizens civil rights.

I just joined CC, honestly hadnt noticed you could earlier, and still need to poke around. Are the responses from legislators & others available there someplace?

We need to be clear though. The Federal background check is near instant. It takes less than 48 hours, and is usually more like one day. This backlog is PURELY in the hands of the state DESPP. They are literally sitting on background checks that they know have passed the Federal check.

You can currently see everything on the SPBI backlog here: http://ctcarry.com/Issues/SPBIBacklog

Anything that is returned from state representatives or anyone else will be posted, but so far we have not received anything. Emails will be following up soon asking legislators why, if they support human rights like this one, are they not taking action on our behalf to keep the laws that they put in place to hinder our rights enforced and upheld correctly.

DESPP has now proved the exact reason why the permit process in Connecticut is unreasonable and unacceptable.

KIX

DESPP has now proved the exact reason why the permit process in Connecticut is unreasonable and unacceptable.

They have proved from their standpoint.

My site has proven how the 169 individual fiefdoms have failed as well.

It's flawed at the local level.

It's flawed at the state level.

Time to end this suitability nonsense.

Jonathan

RCZJ

You've got some nerve implying that the State and Locals have to give up a revenue stream. Shame on you! :rolleyes:

Rich B

Time to end this suitability nonsense.

This has nothing to do with 'suitability'. Even if they eliminated suitability, they would likely not eliminate the SPBI doing background checks. They have shown that regardless of whether suitability stays or goes, our rights will always be at the mercy of the CSP.