Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: That POOR LEO has been FIRED.

That POOR LEO has been FIRED.

Now jail time for threatening to murder people would be nice.

I don't by the fact he has PTSD and if he does have it he shouldn't be a LEO.

I love the article that states if a LEO has a bad day they go home in a body bag? Really does your partner drop your corpes off on your front step?

How about his partner that watched this happen, why is he still on the force? He didn't stop his partner from his verbal and physical rant...he just watched.

The city, department, BOTH the officers involved need to have the biggest civil law suit filed against them for everything they have.

This just makes me sick how he is trying to justify his actions and how the union backs it up. This is why I'm anti-union.

Well a firing is certainly more than I expected. Now that Harless has been terminated I wonder if the victim is going to bring a civil suit against Canton and the officer.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

“Here’s a guy who was in a life-and-death situation,” Adams said, adding that since the June 8 incident came to light, Harless has been diagnosed several times with PTSD.

“Most people that have a bad day on their job can go home, put their legs up and relax,” Adams said. “We can go home from our jobs in a body bag or with a serious physical injury from the hospital.”
    Adams got it backwards: Harless having a bad day might mean sending a citizen home in a body bag.

If "Officer Harless" is a veteran, and diagnosed with PTSD, and has ever been committed for mental care, he may be a "prohibited person", I think, according to the NICS Improvement Amendments Act of 2007:

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill...bill=h110-2640

Someone needs to look into this. Getting this "officer's" 2A rights stripped would be the next best thing to a full-monte Federal 1983 Civil Rights violation judgement against him...
    Last edited by Dreamer; 01-11-2012 at 09:20 PM.
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

The city law department asked the Massillon prosecutor’s office to determine whether Harless’ actions warranted criminal charges. John Simpson, chief prosecutor for the city of Massillon, said that he reviewed state law for menacing, aggravated menacing and assault, but there was insufficient evidence to support any charges.

“I’m not condoning anything the officer did, because (it’s) totally inappropriate,” he said.

Simpson said he examined the question of whether “a threat (is) being made when you say, ‘I should have’ or ‘I should do this,’ but (Harless does not) fulfill any of those.”

When considering the criminal charges, Simpson said, the prosecutor’s office determined Harless did not attempt to cause physical harm by touching or assaulting Bartlett.
    If a citizen said to a police officer that he (the citizen) "should" cause bodily harm to the officer, you can bet he would be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Just more of the same double-standard.

"These things I believe: That government should butt out. That freedom is our most precious commodity and if we are not eternally vigilant, government will take it all away. That individual freedom demands individual responsibility. That government is not a necessary good but an unavoidable evil. That the executive branch has grown too strong, the judicial branch too arrogant and the legislative branch too stupid. That political parties have become close to meaningless. That government should work to insure the rights of the individual, not plot to take them away. That government should provide for the national defense and work to insure domestic tranquility. That foreign trade should be fair rather than free. That America should be wary of foreign entanglements. That the tree of liberty needs to be watered from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. That guns do more than protect us from criminals; more importantly, they protect us from the ongoing threat of government. That states are the bulwark of our freedom. That states should have the right to secede from the Union. That once a year we should hang someone in government as an example to his fellows.
    "

-Lyn Nofziger
    Last edited by ManInBlack; 01-11-2012 at 09:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ManInBlack View Post
    That once a year we should hang someone in government as an example to his fellows."

-Lyn Nofziger

The only problem with this plan is that as long as hemp is illegal to manufacture in the US, there would never be enough stout rope for all the deserving necks...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    The only problem with this plan is that as long as hemp is illegal to manufacture in the US, there would never be enough stout rope for all the deserving necks...
    Lol...'tis true, good sir.

If "Officer Harless" is a veteran, and diagnosed with PTSD, and has ever been committed for mental care, he may be a "prohibited person", I think, according to the NICS Improvement Amendments Act of 2007:

Someone needs to look into this. Getting this "officer's" 2A rights stripped would be the next best thing to a full-monte Federal 1983 Civil Rights violation judgement against him...
    I was about to ask about this. They say he has a mental issue but was carrying a firearm. Hmmm how does this work for us lower class people? I can imagine them trying to use the LEO thing but right now he is not an officer.

How heinous does an LEO's behavior have to be before the union says, "Good luck. You're on your own." I don't mean that sarcastically. Does anyone know?

As an employer, and before that as a manager and COO over 20 some years, I learned to have my employees' backs, however there are some things you can't defend.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    What's wrong with piano wire?
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy View Post
    What's wrong with piano wire?
    Too messy. IT tends to sever the jugular when the floor drops out.

Stout 3/4" waxed hemp line, tied in a proper knot. A short drop and a sudden stop. Problem solved.

Oh, and they should put it on PPV to recoup the costs...
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

NO CRIMINAL CHARGES

The city law department asked the Massillon prosecutor’s office to determine whether Harless’ actions warranted criminal charges. John Simpson, chief prosecutor for the city of Massillon, said that he reviewed state law for menacing, aggravated menacing and assault, but there was insufficient evidence to support any charges.

“I’m not condoning anything the officer did, because (it’s) totally inappropriate,” he said.

Simpson said he examined the question of whether “a threat (is) being made when you say, ‘I should have’ or ‘I should do this,’ but (Harless does not) fulfill any of those.”

When considering the criminal charges, Simpson said, the prosecutor’s office determined Harless did not attempt to cause physical harm by touching or assaulting Bartlett.

http://www.cantonrep.com/news/x63833...n-police-force
    What did SCOTUS say about 'fighting words'? C'mon man!

So, Harliss was able to 'rough him up' during the 'brief' detention as long as Harliss did not attempt to cause physical harm during the roughing him up part. Got it.

“It affects people in different ways. Unfortunately, (Harless) had PTSD, and it wasn’t realized for eight years. Unfortunately, he was fired, and we will address that situation at a later time.” - Bill Adams, president of the Canton Police Patrolmen’s Association
    Here we go....
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Herr Heckler Koch
    You may beat the rap but you will not beat our ride! Neither will you get justice for the ride.

Too messy. IT tends to sever the jugular when the floor drops out.

Stout 3/4" waxed hemp line, tied in a proper knot. A short drop and a sudden stop. Problem solved.

Oh, and they should put it on PPV to recoup the costs...
    Hang-em by their ties that we tax payers probably paid for!!!

PTSD whatever. ... If a small business owner works massive hours for years on end working the first 4-5 months out of the year just to pay gov't and goes off on a customer on a bad day, he loses a customer and is a jerk in the community. When a cop does it he has PTSD, gets disability and the number of days the small business owner has to work to pay the gov't goes up by one. This is why I left my original chosen profession of psychology.

Anyone have a link to the dash cam video?

I am curious to know what that guy really was doing down in that street. But otherwise, sue the ever loving Dog out of that department and city and let the Taxpayer pay your bills for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by DocWalker View Post
    How about his partner that watched this happen, why is he still on the force? He didn't stop his partner from his verbal and physical rant...he just watched.
    Now be fair. His partner Diels didn't JUST "watch".

In fact, he perjured himself on the stand during the criminal trial of the victim.

I call that more than "watching"...

Quote Originally Posted by deepdiver View Post
    How heinous does an LEO's behavior have to be before the union says, "Good luck. You're on your own." I don't mean that sarcastically. Does anyone know?

As an employer, and before that as a manager and COO over 20 some years, I learned to have my employees' backs, however there are some things you can't defend.
    There's NOTHING that the FOP won't excuse, defend or deny.

In 1996, the Chicago Lodge went on National Public Radio to demand that a proposed Illinois law to disarm those convicted of domestic violence exempt cops.

Psychos, wife beaters, it's all the same to the FOP. As long as they're wearing a badge, it's all good.

Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    There's NOTHING that the FOP won't excuse, defend or deny.

In 1996, the Chicago Lodge went on National Public Radio to demand that a proposed Illinois law to disarm those convicted of domestic violence exempt cops.

Psychos, wife beaters, it's all the same to the FOP. As long as they're wearing a badge, it's all good.
    Kinda makes some of us get motivated to get a badge, don't it?

If he's a veteran it doesn't say in this article. According to this article his PTSD was caused in 2003 while on duty.
    "Loyalty above all else except honor. " -John Mahoney

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." -Gerald R. Ford

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
    Let's see if I have this correct - the union says he shouldn't be fired because he has/had issues.

Well, if he has/had issues, what was he doing carrying a gun?

A yahoo out in Arizona has/had issues and carried a gun, and we all heard about the outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post

Interesting little bit of trivia: when the Lautenberg amendment went into effect, there were literally THOUSANDS of LEOs who lost their jobs because they were now Federally Prohibited Persons.

Law Enforcement as a "profession" has one of the highest statistical incidences of domestic violence and child abuse. So they're not just violating the public--they do it at home too--with alarming frequency...
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast