• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

That POOR LEO has been FIRED.

DocWalker

I don't by the fact he has PTSD and if he does have it he shouldn't be a LEO.

I love the article that states if a LEO has a bad day they go home in a body bag? Really does your partner drop your corpes off on your front step?

How about his partner that watched this happen, why is he still on the force? He didn't stop his partner from his verbal and physical rant...he just watched.

The city, department, BOTH the officers involved need to have the biggest civil law suit filed against them for everything they have.

This just makes me sick how he is trying to justify his actions and how the union backs it up. This is why I'm anti-union.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Well a firing is certainly more than I expected. Now that Harless has been terminated I wonder if the victim is going to bring a civil suit against Canton and the officer.

KBCraig

“Here’s a guy who was in a life-and-death situation,” Adams said, adding that since the June 8 incident came to light, Harless has been diagnosed several times with PTSD.

“Most people that have a bad day on their job can go home, put their legs up and relax,” Adams said. “We can go home from our jobs in a body bag or with a serious physical injury from the hospital.”
Adams got it backwards: Harless having a bad day might mean sending a citizen home in a body bag.

Dreamer

If "Officer Harless" is a veteran, and diagnosed with PTSD, and has ever been committed for mental care, he may be a "prohibited person", I think, according to the NICS Improvement Amendments Act of 2007:

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h110-2640

Someone needs to look into this. Getting this "officer's" 2A rights stripped would be the next best thing to a full-monte Federal 1983 Civil Rights violation judgement against him...

Last edited:

ManInBlack

The city law department asked the Massillon prosecutor’s office to determine whether Harless’ actions warranted criminal charges. John Simpson, chief prosecutor for the city of Massillon, said that he reviewed state law for menacing, aggravated menacing and assault, but there was insufficient evidence to support any charges.

“I’m not condoning anything the officer did, because (it’s) totally inappropriate,” he said.

Simpson said he examined the question of whether “a threat (is) being made when you say, ‘I should have’ or ‘I should do this,’ but (Harless does not) fulfill any of those.”

When considering the criminal charges, Simpson said, the prosecutor’s office determined Harless did not attempt to cause physical harm by touching or assaulting Bartlett.

If a citizen said to a police officer that he (the citizen) "should" cause bodily harm to the officer, you can bet he would be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Just more of the same double-standard.

"These things I believe: That government should butt out. That freedom is our most precious commodity and if we are not eternally vigilant, government will take it all away. That individual freedom demands individual responsibility. That government is not a necessary good but an unavoidable evil. That the executive branch has grown too strong, the judicial branch too arrogant and the legislative branch too stupid. That political parties have become close to meaningless. That government should work to insure the rights of the individual, not plot to take them away. That government should provide for the national defense and work to insure domestic tranquility. That foreign trade should be fair rather than free. That America should be wary of foreign entanglements. That the tree of liberty needs to be watered from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. That guns do more than protect us from criminals; more importantly, they protect us from the ongoing threat of government. That states are the bulwark of our freedom. That states should have the right to secede from the Union. That once a year we should hang someone in government as an example to his fellows.
"

-Lyn Nofziger

Last edited:

Dreamer

That once a year we should hang someone in government as an example to his fellows."

-Lyn Nofziger

The only problem with this plan is that as long as hemp is illegal to manufacture in the US, there would never be enough stout rope for all the deserving necks...

Uber_Olafsun

If "Officer Harless" is a veteran, and diagnosed with PTSD, and has ever been committed for mental care, he may be a "prohibited person", I think, according to the NICS Improvement Amendments Act of 2007:

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h110-2640

Someone needs to look into this. Getting this "officer's" 2A rights stripped would be the next best thing to a full-monte Federal 1983 Civil Rights violation judgement against him...

I was about to ask about this. They say he has a mental issue but was carrying a firearm. Hmmm how does this work for us lower class people? I can imagine them trying to use the LEO thing but right now he is not an officer.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
How heinous does an LEO's behavior have to be before the union says, "Good luck. You're on your own." I don't mean that sarcastically. Does anyone know?

As an employer, and before that as a manager and COO over 20 some years, I learned to have my employees' backs, however there are some things you can't defend.

Dreamer

What's wrong with piano wire?

Too messy. IT tends to sever the jugular when the floor drops out.

Stout 3/4" waxed hemp line, tied in a proper knot. A short drop and a sudden stop. Problem solved.

Oh, and they should put it on PPV to recoup the costs...

OC for ME

NO CRIMINAL CHARGES

The city law department asked the Massillon prosecutor’s office to determine whether Harless’ actions warranted criminal charges. John Simpson, chief prosecutor for the city of Massillon, said that he reviewed state law for menacing, aggravated menacing and assault, but there was insufficient evidence to support any charges.

“I’m not condoning anything the officer did, because (it’s) totally inappropriate,” he said.

Simpson said he examined the question of whether “a threat (is) being made when you say, ‘I should have’ or ‘I should do this,’ but (Harless does not) fulfill any of those.”

When considering the criminal charges, Simpson said, the prosecutor’s office determined Harless did not attempt to cause physical harm by touching or assaulting Bartlett.

http://www.cantonrep.com/news/x638339306/Daniel-Harless-fired-from-Canton-police-force
What did SCOTUS say about 'fighting words'? C'mon man!

So, Harliss was able to 'rough him up' during the 'brief' detention as long as Harliss did not attempt to cause physical harm during the roughing him up part. Got it.

“It affects people in different ways. Unfortunately, (Harless) had PTSD, and it wasn’t realized for eight years. Unfortunately, he was fired, and we will address that situation at a later time.” - Bill Adams, president of the Canton Police Patrolmen’s Association
Here we go....

H

Herr Heckler Koch

You may beat the rap but you will not beat our ride! Neither will you get justice for the ride.

nobama

Too messy. IT tends to sever the jugular when the floor drops out.

Stout 3/4" waxed hemp line, tied in a proper knot. A short drop and a sudden stop. Problem solved.

Oh, and they should put it on PPV to recoup the costs...

Hang-em by their ties that we tax payers probably paid for!!!

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
PTSD whatever. ... If a small business owner works massive hours for years on end working the first 4-5 months out of the year just to pay gov't and goes off on a customer on a bad day, he loses a customer and is a jerk in the community. When a cop does it he has PTSD, gets disability and the number of days the small business owner has to work to pay the gov't goes up by one. This is why I left my original chosen profession of psychology.

Brion

I am curious to know what that guy really was doing down in that street. But otherwise, sue the ever loving Dog :cuss: out of that department and city and let the Taxpayer pay your bills for a while.

Deanimator

How about his partner that watched this happen, why is he still on the force? He didn't stop his partner from his verbal and physical rant...he just watched.
Now be fair. His partner Diels didn't JUST "watch".

In fact, he perjured himself on the stand during the criminal trial of the victim.

I call that more than "watching"...