• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

That POOR LEO has been FIRED.

Deanimator

How heinous does an LEO's behavior have to be before the union says, "Good luck. You're on your own." I don't mean that sarcastically. Does anyone know?

As an employer, and before that as a manager and COO over 20 some years, I learned to have my employees' backs, however there are some things you can't defend.
There's NOTHING that the FOP won't excuse, defend or deny.

In 1996, the Chicago Lodge went on National Public Radio to demand that a proposed Illinois law to disarm those convicted of domestic violence exempt cops.

Psychos, wife beaters, it's all the same to the FOP. As long as they're wearing a badge, it's all good.

Brion

There's NOTHING that the FOP won't excuse, defend or deny.

In 1996, the Chicago Lodge went on National Public Radio to demand that a proposed Illinois law to disarm those convicted of domestic violence exempt cops.

Psychos, wife beaters, it's all the same to the FOP. As long as they're wearing a badge, it's all good.

:idea: Kinda makes some of us get motivated to get a badge, don't it? ;)

decklin

If "Officer Harless" is a veteran, and diagnosed with PTSD, and has ever been committed for mental care, he may be a "prohibited person", I think, according to the NICS Improvement Amendments Act of 2007:

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h110-2640

Someone needs to look into this. Getting this "officer's" 2A rights stripped would be the next best thing to a full-monte Federal 1983 Civil Rights violation judgement against him...

If he's a veteran it doesn't say in this article. According to this article his PTSD was caused in 2003 while on duty.

Dreamer

Interesting little bit of trivia: when the Lautenberg amendment went into effect, there were literally THOUSANDS of LEOs who lost their jobs because they were now Federally Prohibited Persons.

Law Enforcement as a "profession" has one of the highest statistical incidences of domestic violence and child abuse. So they're not just violating the public--they do it at home too--with alarming frequency...

Fallschirjmäger

If he's a veteran it doesn't say in this article. According to this article his PTSD was caused in 2003 while on duty.
Yeah, someone either tried to, or bit his thumb.

Personally, I hope he does appeal.
I hope all his friends contribute to his appeal.
I hope it goes on for years and years.
... and I hope they lose in the end.

Deanimator

Interesting little bit of trivia: when the Lautenberg amendment went into effect, there were literally THOUSANDS of LEOs who lost their jobs because they were now Federally Prohibited Persons.

Law Enforcement as a "profession" has one of the highest statistical incidences of domestic violence and child abuse. So they're not just violating the public--they do it at home too--with alarming frequency...
The proposed Illinois law (1996) predated the Lautenberg Amendment.

That was literally the STRANGEST interview I've ever heard on NPR. Only their interview of the "roving ambassador" of the Taliban approached it in creepiness. Their arguments in favor of arming [police] wife beaters were as follows:
  1. You can't take a cop's gun away just because he beats his wife. It's his "tool of the trade". Being NPR, nobody thought to ask why that didn't apply equally to hitmen like Sammy "The Bull" Gravano.
  2. Taking the gun from an angry, violent cop will only make him MORE angry and violent. Again, nobody asked whether taking the gun from a hitman would make HIM more angry and violent.
  3. You can trust a cop who beats his wife, to carry a gun because he'll be "closely supervised"... just apparently not closely enough to keep him from kicking her teeth down her throat.

since9

Campaign Veteran
All I can say is "Thank You" to the folks in Canton who fired him, as well as I hope this and similar cases will keep being staunch reminders to law enforcement that you, as do we all, have fairly well-defined boundaries which, when crossed, will earn some serious repercussions.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
All I can say is "Thank You" to the folks in Canton who fired him, as well as I hope this and similar cases will keep being staunch reminders to law enforcement that you, as do we all, have fairly well-defined boundaries which, when crossed, will earn some serious repercussions.

When crossed far enough, with enough frequency, and the public raises a hue-and-cry.

DocWalker

Yes but his partner should have been fired also, he just watched and let it happen. He watched his partner manhandle and threaten to kill someone that was already restrained and just watched.

What happened to Serve and PROTECT.

sudden valley gunner

The proposed Illinois law (1996) predated the Lautenberg Amendment.

That was literally the STRANGEST interview I've ever heard on NPR. Only their interview of the "roving ambassador" of the Taliban approached it in creepiness. Their arguments in favor of arming [police] wife beaters were as follows:
  1. You can't take a cop's gun away just because he beats his wife. It's his "tool of the trade". Being NPR, nobody thought to ask why that didn't apply equally to hitmen like Sammy "The Bull" Gravano.
  2. Taking the gun from an angry, violent cop will only make him MORE angry and violent. Again, nobody asked whether taking the gun from a hitman would make HIM more angry and violent.
  3. You can trust a cop who beats his wife, to carry a gun because he'll be "closely supervised"... just apparently not closely enough to keep him from kicking her teeth down her throat.

I am amazed at how many stories of cops who are abusive (domestically) and who are caught committing other crimes are on the news, I once tried to compile a list to make a statistical analysis with a ratio compared to the general public. But finding statistics on police behavior is seems to be a tough search (especially if you want to keep it local) You can find many stories though, by googling corruption even in small towns surrounding your area.

By my simple observation, there are more criminals in that profession than any other legally recognized profession. Which goes along with my assessment that the Law Enforcement attracts certain types of individual and the more power we give them the worse type of individuals fill the ranks.

DocWalker

I am amazed at how many stories of cops who are abusive (domestically) and who are caught committing other crimes are on the news, I once tried to compile a list to make a statistical analysis with a ratio compared to the general public. But finding statistics on police behavior is seems to be a tough search (especially if you want to keep it local) You can find many stories though, by googling corruption even in small towns surrounding your area.

By my simple observation, there are more criminals in that profession than any other legally recognized profession. Which goes along with my assessment that the Law Enforcement attracts certain types of individual and the more power we give them the worse type of individuals fill the ranks.

I concur, I know a lot of LE and when I was in the USAF most of the people being busted for theft was the Security Forces. They think nthey know the system and how to get away with not getting caught.

Like wise most of the drug abusers (pills) have been people that work in the hospital. It all has to do with access and feeling you know the system.

sudden valley gunner

I concur, I know a lot of LE and when I was in the USAF most of the people being busted for theft was the Security Forces. They think nthey know the system and how to get away with not getting caught.

Like wise most of the drug abusers (pills) have been people that work in the hospital. It all has to do with access and feeling you know the system.

Don't forget the immunity they feel for the lack of prosecution. Hey Ian Birk is a murderer but he was a cop so....he gets to walk around without any prosecution or prison time. Lost his job though, something I doubt would have happened if it wasn't for public scrutiny.

FTG-05

I came across this site a couple weeks ago from a link in a discussion forum on Harless. I have no clue how accurate it is, but it is interesting reading. http://policecrimes.com/forum/

I know two people that have no use for LEO's: My uncle (RIP) and a former police officer. My uncle was beat up by several police officers in NM years ago due to their negligence and his complaining about it at town meetings. The former police officer quit and got another career due to the illegal activities that were condoned by those in charge.

The more I read about lawfully armed citizens and LEO's, the less I want to do with LEO's.

My .02.

sudden valley gunner

I came across this site a couple weeks ago from a link in a discussion forum on Harless. I have no clue how accurate it is, but it is interesting reading. http://policecrimes.com/forum/

I know two people that have no use for LEO's: My uncle (RIP) and a former police officer. My uncle was beat up by several police officers in NM years ago due to their negligence and his complaining about it at town meetings. The former police officer quit and got another career due to the illegal activities that were condoned by those in charge.

The more I read about lawfully armed citizens and LEO's, the less I want to do with LEO's.

My .02.

Thanks for the link I agree with your assessment I know a few former cops who have left because they thought they could do some good and change how police are viewed and how they operate. But you if you don't play by the gangs rules it is very hard for you so they quit frustrated.

Shortly after my post I found this Study that seems to back up what I was saying there are more crooks in LE than in the general population. I am by no way saying all cops are bad but a bad corrupt system attracts bad corrupt cops.
http://www.injusticeeverywhere.com/?page_id=4135

Deanimator

Thanks for the link I agree with your assessment I know a few former cops who have left because they thought they could do some good and change how police are viewed and how they operate. But you if you don't play by the gangs rules it is very hard for you so they quit frustrated.

Shortly after my post I found this Study that seems to back up what I was saying there are more crooks in LE than in the general population. I am by no way saying all cops are bad but a bad corrupt system attracts bad corrupt cops.
http://www.injusticeeverywhere.com/?page_id=4135
The situations prevailing in police departments like those in Chicago, Philadelphia and New Orleans are remarkably similar to that which prevailed in the Catholic church in various cities for decades. Corrupt elements were ignored or tolerated until they progressed in the organization. At that point, they started making the hiring and promotion decisions and hired and promoted like minded "souls". Eventually the corrupt were running the organization.

ThatOneChick

Simpson said he examined the question of whether “a threat (is) being made when you say, ‘I should have’ or ‘I should do this,’ but (Harless does not) fulfill any of those.”

When considering the criminal charges, Simpson said, the prosecutor’s office determined Harless did not attempt to cause physical harm by touching or assaulting Bartlett.

2903.21 Aggravated menacing.

(A) No person shall knowingly cause another to believe that the offender will cause serious physical harm to the person or property of the other person, the other person’s unborn, or a member of the other person’s immediate family.

(B) Whoever violates this section is guilty of aggravated menacing. Except as otherwise provided in this division, aggravated menacing is a misdemeanor of the first degree. If the victim of the offense is an officer or employee of a public children services agency or a private child placing agency and the offense relates to the officer’s or employee’s performance or anticipated performance of official responsibilities or duties, aggravated menacing is a felony of the fifth degree or, if the offender previously has been convicted of or pleaded guilty to an offense of violence, the victim of that prior offense was an officer or employee of a public children services agency or private child placing agency, and that prior offense related to the officer’s or employee’s performance or anticipated performance of official responsibilities or duties, a felony of the fourth degree.

Effective Date: 04-10-2001

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2903.21

Funny, if an officer is guilty of aggravated menacing then it's a first degree misdemeanor. If the officer is a victim, it suddenly becomes a fifth degree felony. Why the special privileges? Are officers "Above the law"? Seems to be.