• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open/CCW Carry @ Gun Show= NOT !

Glockster

They don't do anything about the cameras on phones. Though if you tried to take any pictures something might be done about that. Also I'm yet to have any issues on a military base simply because my phone has a camera built into it. The only places I've seen phones be an issue on base are "sensitive" areas like classified briefings, the vault, etc and then often times the issue with the phone is the actual audio features and not the built in camera.

Oh yeah, right -- I was thinking more about bases where there are few(er) places you can have a phone/camera, rather than just on the base itself. Most of the places that I go to, and then where on those bases, it has been more of an issue. And at those places folks have had to hang onto old camera-free phones. I have been to a place or two that outright prohibited any cell phone with a camera on the base though. And most if not all are now prohibit usage of phones unless hands-free. But out in your neck of the woods there were no issues at for example, Fort Sill.

sawah

Every gun show I have ever attended, and that's a lot, posts a sign that says to the affect that no loaded guns are allowed in the show. Makes one why this doesn't apply to the police officers I nearly always see at shows.

Hopefully, nobody will be arguing with their girlfriend at the time.

If the gun show does not have a metal detector or claims they can pat you down, then ONLY law abiding gun-show attending firearm owners will be complying. I hope everyone realizes this. I saw one non-LEO manning a booth that had an un-tied firearm with a mag in it. (he's an instructor). I feel safer with him being armed than a LEO, (my opinion). I think there was one uniformed at this show (last year).

As a matter of fact doing the whole 'we'll put a tag tie in your handgun' to assure it's unloaded trip is loaded with problems.

1. If the guy at the table doing it hasn't handled your type of firearm, he typically sweeps you, his buddy, the whole floor, the LEO behind him, trying to keep the slide mechanism back on a KelTec while he inserts the tag tie. I'm not that strong and I could do it in under 3 seconds. In 45 seconds of farting around the gun owner finally took the tag from him and did it, sweeping nobody.

2. If you get out to the car and drive around town and get home you find out your firearm is STILL tag tied, just how dumb do you feel? I mean buying stuff at the gunshow is exciting but it shouldn't make you forget you did something STUPID with your firearm (i.e. left that tag tie in). Isn't there a list of three S rules about that?

3. When are you supposed to cut the tags off? In the lobby? OH RIGHT. I want a bunch of dweebs loading up and stuff in the lobby.

4. What's the safest firearm? One that's loaded, cocked and locked and in a proper holster on your belt. I mean it's the simplest, lest 'fumbling around with' method.

rant off

Aknazer

Oh yeah, right -- I was thinking more about bases where there are few(er) places you can have a phone/camera, rather than just on the base itself. Most of the places that I go to, and then where on those bases, it has been more of an issue. And at those places folks have had to hang onto old camera-free phones. I have been to a place or two that outright prohibited any cell phone with a camera on the base though. And most if not all are now prohibit usage of phones unless hands-free. But out in your neck of the woods there were no issues at for example, Fort Sill.

I'm curious what bases you're going to. Im actually at Tinker AFB atm but even out at Kadena and Osan phones weren't ever an issue unless you were entering into one of those sensitve areas.

SteveInAshand

Gun Shows = notoriously un-safe for gun owners

Lawyers run the world, in gun shows and out of gun shows.

Secondary subject: Gun shows are notorious gatherings for the sloppy un-safe handling of loaded fire arms !

"What do You mean loaded Steve, your not allowed to have loaded weapon in a gun show" !

Oh really > ALL weapons are to be 'considered' loaded , even after You checked it , the person receiving it is to confirm it for themselves, and so the next time You are at a gun show just stand there an watch the crowds of highly experienced gun dealers, smiths, buyers and gun collecting general public pass weapons around and not one will clear the weapon between hand-off's .

BANG ( hole in the ceiling or worse ) The lazy un-safe reasoning will be something like this : SELLER> " well I checked it when I put out out on the table for display this morning along with the rest of them" , BUYER: "This is a gun show and he is a dealer why of course it is un-loaded "

SURVEY SAYS > "B.S"

Personally: I think of the thousand new and used weapons in a gun show as loaded, when I pick up each one I have an interest in, I clear it, even if Joe Dealer just cleared it in front of me.

Even after I clear it I ask the owner: "May I pull the trigger" ( pointing it to the ceiling, away from any one ears ) if I am interested in the trigger pull, which half the time I am not .

Digressing to the main topic: I don't like being treated like a boy having to un-load my weapon in a gun show, 'but' after watching the gun public at large in perhaps a hundred gun shows I would say if I were in charge of a gun show > "NO loaded weapons of any kind allowed in 'my' gun show" .

One step up from 10 year old boys with A.D.D is the know it all 55 year old veteran gun enthusiast in a public venue.

( announcer voice ) We now return you back to Your regular topic

Grimbleton

Aside from work, which given my current line of employment places legal restrictions on me carrying there (I'm a security guard and not Act 235 certified) I don't go anywhere that doesn't allow me to protect myself. I've never been to a gun show and it's likely that won't ever change.

protias

I challenged a large gun show promoter (Michigan) about the insurance excuse, after some back and forth he finally said it wasn't the insurance they just didn't want people to carry.

Gotta love the "pro-2A" people who really are anti-2A... :banghead:

Riana

I zip-tie my gun myself, remove the mag, and re-holster it. They verify the ziptie at the door, and let me go through. When I leave, they cut the tie for me, and if I forget to ask, I cut it myself with the wire snips that weren't in my purse. :rolleyes:

Daylen

Gotta love the "pro-2A" people who really are anti-2A... :banghead:

On the other hand its a very crowded place with many idiots looking at firearms aiming them and the like, also there have been plenty of negligent discharges at shows. A local one had to change location because of such an incident. Also, at some shows some of the people who show up are well lets say less than prefect law abiding citizens. I figure for those who are really worried about not being properly armed there is concealed carry as most shows do not search or do metal detectors; they are just after visible ones that will likely be handled. The amount of handling that happens is probably why the rule became so widespread at shows.

protias

On the other hand its a very crowded place with many idiots looking at firearms aiming them and the like, also there have been plenty of negligent discharges at shows. A local one had to change location because of such an incident. Also, at some shows some of the people who show up are well lets say less than prefect law abiding citizens. I figure for those who are really worried about not being properly armed there is concealed carry as most shows do not search or do metal detectors; they are just after visible ones that will likely be handled. The amount of handling that happens is probably why the rule became so widespread at shows.

Do you have any links to buyers being negligent? I'm looking for the buyers being negligent, not the sellers.

Daylen

Do you have any links to buyers being negligent? I'm looking for the buyers being negligent, not the sellers.

I've tried looking for something for the local stuff I know about, but unfortunately I can't find it on the internet.