• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open/CCW Carry @ Gun Show= NOT !

scott58dh

Re: ccw @ event‏
1:32 PM Reply ▼Reply
DiPretedipromo@comcast.net

Send email
Find email Add to contactsTo scottFrom: Pat DiPrete (dipromo@comcast.net)
Sent: Wed 1/11/12 1:32 PM
To: scott58dh

No you cannot. Our insurance requires all firearms must be unloaded.

Pat
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 3:00 AM
Subject: ccw @ event

Is it acceptable to conceal carry at this event ?

Aknazer

No it isn't. If you do a search for gun show rules you will see that all guns have to be unloaded with no exceptions to having a CCW license or type of carry. Every time I have gone and brought an empty mag they have put a sticker on the bottom to show it is unloaded. Also I'm pretty sure that they can't sell you ammo for any gun you're actively carrying (but if you take it to your car it's fine) as you could then load your gun with said ammo.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Yep, the unloaded mandate is pretty standard. I have bought ammunition for my carried gun here in VA at a couple different shows. I was reading a thread somewhere on here where you couldn't have guns at all at the gun show...

KBCraig

Promoters always claim their insurance requires all guns to be unloaded. So do venue owners, now and then.

Never once, to my knowledge, has any of them ever produced an insurance policy that actually says so.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Yep, the unloaded mandate is pretty standard. I have bought ammunition for my carried gun here in VA at a couple different shows. I was reading a thread somewhere on here where you couldn't have guns at all at the gun show...

Every gun show I have ever attended, and that's a lot, posts a sign that says to the affect that no loaded guns are allowed in the show. Makes one why this doesn't apply to the police officers I nearly always see at shows.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Every gun show I have ever attended, and that's a lot, posts a sign that says to the affect that no loaded guns are allowed in the show. Makes one why this doesn't apply to the police officers I nearly always see at shows.

I agree 100%. Perhaps I wasn't clear in my disdain for the rule along with it's LEO exception.

G22shooter

Campaign Veteran
Our local shows have people checking guns and bags at the door. All guns are zip tied through the action.

They aren't checking pockets for loaded mags, though.

Aknazer

We have no one to blame for that rule besides fellow gunowners who have caused/had NDs at gunshows.

When I was talking with one person (either the LEO at the door or one of the vendors) they said that the vendors are the worst for the NDs. He also made it sound like vendors can still have loaded weapons at the show.

http://usgovinfo.about.com/blgunshow.htm

Here is the quick link to the gunshow rules and which fed law it appears to come from.

okiebryan

Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
Promoters always claim their insurance requires all guns to be unloaded. So do venue owners, now and then.

Never once, to my knowledge, has any of them ever produced an insurance policy that actually says so.

In my place of business, if you didn't like one of my policies that was due to insurance restrictions, and if you demanded to see my insurance policy to somehow "prove" something to you... I would invite you to find a short pier and take a long walk.

Just saying...

Daylen

It does to some of them. Just not the ones hired as security; at least for the shows I've attended.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
In my state a gun show has no more authority to ban carry than any other private establishment. So although they might not like concealed carry, they don't have to know about it.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
In my place of business, if you didn't like one of my policies that was due to insurance restrictions, and if you demanded to see my insurance policy to somehow "prove" something to you... I would invite you to find a short pier and take a long walk.

Just saying...

I challenged a large gun show promoter (Michigan) about the insurance excuse, after some back and forth he finally said it wasn't the insurance they just didn't want people to carry.

Redbaron007

Many businesses use 'my insurance doesn't allow it' phrase. Having been in the insurance industry; I can tell you of the policies I'm familar with; none have that clause or exclusion; however I have not seen every commercial policy, but many are the same. It's generally used to eliminate any conversations and restrict people.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
When I was talking with one person (either the LEO at the door or one of the vendors) they said that the vendors are the worst for the NDs. He also made it sound like vendors can still have loaded weapons at the show.

http://usgovinfo.about.com/blgunshow.htm

Here is the quick link to the gunshow rules and which fed law it appears to come from.

Your quoted source is confusing and misleading. My imperession is that it was intended to be so (the source, not you).

stay safe.

Glockster

Our local shows have people checking guns and bags at the door. All guns are zip tied through the action.

They aren't checking pockets for loaded mags, though.

Given that I've never been to a gun show (not yet at least), I never even thought of this issue. So, do they provide a method for you to then remove the zip tie on the way out? Or do you have to carry something to do that for yourself?

Aknazer

Given that I've never been to a gun show (not yet at least), I never even thought of this issue. So, do they provide a method for you to then remove the zip tie on the way out? Or do you have to carry something to do that for yourself?

At the gun shows here the police do have wire cutters at their station. I've had them snip off vendor zip ties when I've been carrying around a gun I'm looking to sell (vendor zip ties are white compared to the yellow ones the police use, as such people typically think white tied guns aren't for sale/trade) so you could always ask them to remove the tie while leaving. Personally I almost always have a knife handy so I haven't needed them to remove it for me.

Glockster

At the gun shows here the police do have wire cutters at their station. I've had them snip off vendor zip ties when I've been carrying around a gun I'm looking to sell (vendor zip ties are white compared to the yellow ones the police use, as such people typically think white tied guns aren't for sale/trade) so you could always ask them to remove the tie while leaving. Personally I almost always have a knife handy so I haven't needed them to remove it for me.

Huh. All interesting as I've never given it a thought what rules might be there.

Interesting though: http://usgovinfo.about.com/blgunshow.htm

And from that:
1.All guns must be unloaded, tied and the magazines removed.
THIS INCLUDES FIREARMS OF CONCEALED CARRY PERMIT HOLDERS.
2.All ammo must be in sealed containers.
3.No loaded magazines allowed in the show.
4.No cameras allowed in the show.
5.Carts, dollys and baby strollers used to carry trade items cannot be brought into the show except by dealers.
6.Police officers who are in uniform or who are displaying badges have free admission.
7.All Federal, State and Local laws must be obeyed.

So with regard to #4 and the no cameras -- what does that then say about all of our cell phones that have cameras? Or do they make an exception for those? I'm thinking about all the military bases and such with the no cameras rules that then prevent folks from having iPhones and such with built-in cameras.

Aknazer

They don't do anything about the cameras on phones. Though if you tried to take any pictures something might be done about that. Also I'm yet to have any issues on a military base simply because my phone has a camera built into it. The only places I've seen phones be an issue on base are "sensitive" areas like classified briefings, the vault, etc and then often times the issue with the phone is the actual audio features and not the built in camera.