• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

1st and last trip to wild west guns

Vegassteve

Decided to pay this place a visit as thy have been really advertising on the boards here in town. A sign right off the bat on the front door. No loaded firearms. CCW keep it in holster. Ok seemed fair enough but unlike another store in town they didnt welcome CCW and OC on the sign like NFA does. They have lots of room and a small collection of guns. What completely turned me off though was the conversation they were having with a marshall. They were discussing the show American Guns which is about a store in CO. The wild west guy said they watch it just to see all the ATF violations. Like what? I dont know. I have seen about 3 episodes and have seen none. Then the Marshall chimed in that the daughter on the show looks under 21 and OC all the time. He said I dont know any state that allows anyone under 21 to carry or own or even handle a pistol. He was not corrected by the staff who in fact agreed with him. Sorry but I have no use for a store and staff who do not understand the law that they themselves say someone else is violating.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Sounds like they need some education. I agree with you especially if there are some other gun stores in the area. Did you interject yourself at all?

Vegassteve

Sounds like they need some education. I agree with you especially if there are some other gun stores in the area. Did you interject yourself at all?

I did not the officer was a very loud know it all type and I knew it would be a hassle. With about 5 other folks behind the counter that agreed with him. I just left.

702Shooter

Vegassteve,

I'm a bit confused. So they have a sign, you ignored it, and from what I've read, nobody mentioned anything to you about it. So, what exactly is your complaint about the OC/CCW policy?

As far as the Federal Marshal goes, I'm thinking he should know the law better than a local gun store but you're not complaining about or refusing to use the U.S. Marshals service. Perhaps the staff didn't correct him for the same reasons you didn't.

To be completely honest, in this case, you sound a bit like a loud know it all yourself.

Just sayin.....

702Shooter

And for the record, I know of a few Vegas gun stores who do not allow open carry. Some just because and others because their insurance underwriters do not allow it.

IMHO, every gun store should allow open carry if the local laws allow it. However, I would never cry about it or refusing to do business with a store because of that kind of policy.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
SNIP However, I would never cry about it or refusing to do business with a store because of that kind of policy.

So you do business with all companies that restrict your right to carry? What makes a gun store different? If they don't let me carry then they don't get my money.

Last edited:

Vegassteve

And for the record, I know of a few Vegas gun stores who do not allow open carry. Some just because and others because their insurance underwriters do not allow it.

IMHO, every gun store should allow open carry if the local laws allow it. However, I would never cry about it or refusing to do business with a store because of that kind of policy.

If a store does not accept my OC then I do not use them. Period. I am not crying about anything. I am reporting my view of a trip I had a at a local store. Just like others on the forum have done for other stores as well. Just because you do business with stores regardless of policy and are willing to not stand up for your rights, doesnt mean I am.

Vegassteve

Vegassteve,

I'm a bit confused. So they have a sign, you ignored it, and from what I've read, nobody mentioned anything to you about it. So, what exactly is your complaint about the OC/CCW policy?

As far as the Federal Marshal goes, I'm thinking he should know the law better than a local gun store but you're not complaining about or refusing to use the U.S. Marshals service. Perhaps the staff didn't correct him for the same reasons you didn't.

To be completely honest, in this case, you sound a bit like a loud know it all yourself.

Just sayin.....

Really I seem like a know it all compared to the marshall that should know better? What have I posted that is not true. Yes I ignored the sign because I had been told by the staff that they welcome OC. I have never personally used the us marshall service at least as far as I know. Maybe when I entered a court building but I didnt ask for them to be there. And I frankly could care les if they existed.

My complaint is that a gun store that says one thing posts a sign contrary to that doesnt get my biz. A store that just agrees with and goes along with misinfo also doesnt get my biz. It shows me that they have no clue.

Vegassteve

So you do business with all companies that restrict your right to carry? What makes a gun store different? If they don't let me carry then they don't get my money.

I think this is the guy that runs a website about all the stores in town. So he isnt going to say anything bad or not shop in them. He may need the ad revenue.

702Shooter

I'm not allowed to carry at the courthouse but I still manage to do business there when needed. Just because I have the legal right to open carry does not mean I have to. Of course I do business with places who do not allow open carry. How can you support gun rights but not the rights of the business owners?

Not sure if you go to church or not but can you imagine the reaction if you were to open carry there? Yet, I'm willing to bet many of the readers of this forum attend services while NOT carrying.

The bottom line is you're pissed because somebody took the choice away from you. To me, it's like a child throwing a temper tantrum when he/she does not get her way.

702Shooter

If a store does not accept my OC then I do not use them. Period. I am not crying about anything. I am reporting my view of a trip I had a at a local store. Just like others on the forum have done for other stores as well. Just because you do business with stores regardless of policy and are willing to not stand up for your rights, doesnt mean I am.

I don't stand up for my rights huh? Hows that?

A gun store stands up for their rights and you think your rights go above theirs? How arrogant are you?

Vegassteve

I don't stand up for my rights huh? Hows that?

A gun store stands up for their rights and you think your rights go above theirs? How arrogant are you?

It is a slap to gun owners when one of our own, ie a gun store, doesnt wish to allow the full extent of our rights. I guess they could deny blacks, women, crippled and jews as well and you would be ok with that.

I am arrogant enough to stand up for what is right.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
A courthouse is a government entity, not a company, quite a different situation. With a courthouse, you have no choice. I'm not religious so I can't comment on the churches. I do know that it is not illegal to OC at a church in my home state so long as you have good and sufficient reason.

I find that there are plenty of companies, restaurants, and stores that allow me to carry. I choose to frequent those stores. I absolutely respect the rights of property owners, that's why I follow their signs and don't visit their businesses. There is a fairly well-known motto for gun owners who carry: No Guns=No Money!

Last edited:

702Shooter

Really I seem like a know it all compared to the marshall that should know better? What have I posted that is not true. Yes I ignored the sign because I had been told by the staff that they welcome OC. I have never personally used the us marshall service at least as far as I know. Maybe when I entered a court building but I didnt ask for them to be there. And I frankly could care les if they existed.

My complaint is that a gun store that says one thing posts a sign contrary to that doesnt get my biz. A store that just agrees with and goes along with misinfo also doesnt get my biz. It shows me that they have no clue.

And a customer who does nothing in person but comes to a forum to complain about:

1: A policy which was not enforced or even mentioned

2: Somebody else not correcting a Marshal

Shows me that they would rather complain than confront the perceived issue in person. You call that standing up for your rights? I call it retreating then throwing rocks from the other side of the street.

702Shooter

It is a slap to gun owners when one of our own, ie a gun store, doesnt wish to allow the full extent of our rights. I guess they could deny blacks, women, crippled and jews as well and you would be ok with that.

I am arrogant enough to stand up for what is right.

Perhaps you missed the part where I mentioned that some insurance companies do not allow it? So yeah, lets stand up and preach about our rights being trampled instead of understanding that the world does not cater to our every want.

Vegassteve

I'm not allowed to carry at the courthouse but I still manage to do business there when needed. Just because I have the legal right to open carry does not mean I have to. Of course I do business with places who do not allow open carry. How can you support gun rights but not the rights of the business owners?

Not sure if you go to church or not but can you imagine the reaction if you were to open carry there? Yet, I'm willing to bet many of the readers of this forum attend services while NOT carrying.

The bottom line is you're pissed because somebody took the choice away from you. To me, it's like a child throwing a temper tantrum when he/she does not get her way.

I carry in church. I ave OC in church as well. It is one thing when a pet store wont allow OC. It is another when a gun store refuses it. And to wild wests credit they didnt do that. That is not what the post was about. The crappy advice and misinformation was what it was about.

No one took a choice away from anyone. No one is pissed we just choose to not give money to those who do not support our cause.

Vegassteve

Perhaps you missed the part where I mentioned that some insurance companies do not allow it? So yeah, lets stand up and preach about our rights being trampled instead of understanding that the world does not cater to our every want.

I have yet to find a gun store in this town that has refused carry. American shooters did have a sign but changed it after we inquired about it. . And isnt that a bit odd anyway. Why would they insure a gun store but not allow guns? And if that was the case the store owner could certainly shop around for different coverage. It really isnt my problem it is the stores. And so far in this town I have not seen insurance as a issue for carry in the store.