• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Republicans take control of Va. Senate

ocholsteroc

http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/politics/bolling-casts-tie-breaking-vote-on-power-sharing

Republicans take control of Va. Senate

Bolling casts tie-breaking vote

Updated: Wednesday, 11 Jan 2012, 7:34 PM EST
Published : Wednesday, 11 Jan 2012, 4:36 PM EST

RICHMOND, Va. (AP/WAVY) - Virginia Senate Republicans ruled out power sharing with Democrats on Wednesday with Republican Lt. Gov. Bill Bolling casting the vote that broke a partisan 20-20 tie, then used Bolling's position to take control of the Senate.

Republicans rejected a Democratic motion to evenly apportion committee seats and oversee them with co-chairmen, even though Republicans hold the same number of seats as Democrats at 20 each.

Later, Bolling upheld Republican procedural rules that delete a 20-year-old provision that guaranteed the partisan makeup of committees would reflect the Senate's overall partisan composition.

mk4

State Senator Mamie Locke, of Hampton and Newport News, is a Democrat and is no longer Chair of General Laws and Technology.
“There's a lot of issues I, as a Chair, can make in determining what comes before the committee. The issues may not get addressed in the same way," Locke explained.

that's right, they're not going to get addressed in the same way. too bad.

Then there's Senator Louise Lucas, of Portsmouth, who is also a Democrat. Lucas no longer heads the Local Governments Committee. She was also set to become Chair of Education and Health.
“I'm just a little disappointed it's not going to happen now. I've been in the majority and the minority and I'm in the minority again," Lucas said.

and so, the world turns. one day you've got the power, the next, you don't. deal with it.

Lastly, Democratic Senator Yvonne Miller, of Norfolk, is no longer Chair of the Transportation Committee.
“I think the Commonwealth is now reverting to the inglorious past. The past when whites dominated everything, and minorities were excluded," Miller exclaimed.

going to play the race card? really??? whatever. :rolleyes:

Last edited: