Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New here and in Charlotte

New here and in Charlotte

Hello,

I stumbled across this forum while looking for conceal carry info for the charlotte area. I am most likely going to be moving to South Carolina later this year so I thought perhaps open carry would be a feasable solution until then. Does anyone here carry in the charlotte /pineville area? I also frequent Gastonia as well. Thanks.

Drew

Yep, there's a few of us here in the area. We even have meets atleast once a month. Welcome to OCDO, and sorry to hear about the venture south of the border coming up soon. We lost somebody up to Maryland not too long ago.. poor guy.. lol. Open Carrying has a lot of plus sides that you can't get with concealed. The major one being it's a deterrent for criminals. But I'll probably be getting my CHP sometime soon too, as I take trips down to SC for the bike rallies and such. If you're around in February, we'll be having a meet somewhere on the first Saturday. Haven't selected a location yet. We're going to try to get some carriers from SC to come up since they don't get a lot of chances to open carry.

Edit: Be sure to check out the stickied Charlotte area meet thread towards the top. That's where a lot of us hang out on here that are in this area.
    Last edited by ArmySoldier22; 01-11-2012 at 10:41 PM.

I probably won't be moving until about the middle of the year, so I would be up for that. I just started frequenting shooters express for the range use. I was born and raised in Maryland so I'm familiar with what a hell hole that place is in regards to gun rights. I wish him luck; I wont go back for any long period lol. I was kind of worried about trying to conceal my .40 hi-point. Gueas i wont have to. Lol.

Edit: I will be watching that stickied. Thanks again.

Drew
    Last edited by drew9; 01-11-2012 at 10:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by drew9 View Post
    I was kind of worried about trying to conceal my .40 hi-point. Gueas i wont have to. Lol.
    I'd still conceal it if it's a hi point!
    Last edited by spiderjohn; 01-11-2012 at 10:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by spiderjohn View Post
    I'd still conceal it if it's a hi point!
    Lol heyyy nowww. Just because Gun Tests Magazine rated it as the "worst weapon they ever fired", doesn't mean he should cover it up

Quote Originally Posted by ArmySoldier22 View Post
    Lol heyyy nowww. Just because Gun Tests Magazine rated it as the "worst weapon they ever fired", doesn't mean he should cover it up
    It isn't like a BG is going to ask what brand of gun you just shot him with!
    Quote Originally Posted by P.J. O'Rourke; The Liberty Manifesto
    There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences.

Haha. It might not be pretty, but its accurate (dead on, is what my Iowa Games shooting father in law said. He scoffed when he saw it, then changed his tune)and so far i have put about 500 rounds through it, about half factory and half reloads without a single jam. Call it ugly, clunky, whatever, but At least its reliable. Oh, and Made in America.

Quote Originally Posted by G22shooter View Post
    It isn't like a BG is going to ask what brand of gun you just shot him with!
    Lol, you definitely wouldn't expect one too huh? . But then again, those BG's can be surprising. Who'd ever expect somebody that breaks into someone's home to turn around and take them to court and sue them for shooting them in self defense? But it happens in some states. That's why I believe in the saying that 1 story is better than 2 lol.

BG: ....what...did you shoot ....me with....

Me: a hi-point.

BG: ....damn...you serious? I read.....in some magazine that those guns were crap....

Sounds feasable. Lol

I wouldn't worry about the Hi Point, my friend bought the 9mm paid 119 bucks for it, and that was 5 yrs ago thousands of rounds through it and is still going strong. Now breaking it down for a good cleaning that's a whole other story!

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D using Xparent Blue Tapatalk
    Last edited by r1dramma; 01-12-2012 at 06:52 AM.

Regular Member Large Caliber Kick's Avatar
    Mooresville, North Carolina, United States
    Hello,

I stumbled across this forum while looking for conceal carry info for the charlotte area. I am most likely going to be moving to South Carolina later this year so I thought perhaps open carry would be a feasable solution until then. Does anyone here carry in the charlotte /pineville area? I also frequent Gastonia as well. Thanks.

Drew
    Hey Drew, as ArmySoldier22 stated there are a few of us around here.

Haha. It might not be pretty, but its accurate (dead on, is what my Iowa Games shooting father in law said. He scoffed when he saw it, then changed his tune)and so far i have put about 500 rounds through it, about half factory and half reloads without a single jam. Call it ugly, clunky, whatever, but At least its reliable. Oh, and Made in America.
    Don't think too much about all the grief people will give you about that Hi-Point. I carry a Smith&Wesson Sigma chambered in .40. The sigmas also catch alot of down talk about them mainly for the 10 pound trigger pull they come with. As you stated above if it cycles reliably and is accurate enough to get the job done then who cares about the rest. I'll take this oppertunity to encourage you to join us at the next meet in the southern Charlotte area on Feb 4th. Keep an eye on the Charlotte area meet&greet thread sticky'd at the top of the NC section to find out when/where. Btw if the BG is still around to ask you what kind of gun you shot him with, then you didn't get the job done right.

The meet and greet sounds like fun, depending on work schedule and time I will be there. I am not worried about the grief I have owned this gun going on 4 years so I am used to it Next week I will get a holster for it and start carrying. My wife is going to love that, lol. In the mean time I will finish versing myself in the laws. Anybody reload?

Anybody reload?
    Not yet, but with ammo prices I've SERIOUSLY considered starting

Anybody reload?
    Hi. Yes, I load my own pistol rounds (.40s&w), plus .30-06 for my old milsurp rifles.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk
    There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences.

I have recently started reloading, only .40 s&w for now until i get a different gun. Im looking for something a little lighter than the hp for my wife, hopefully a non bank breaker :P I have seen a few at the local pawn shops just over 300 that look promising.

I have recently started reloading, only .40 s&w for now until i get a different gun. Im looking for something a little lighter than the hp for my wife, hopefully a non bank breaker :P I have seen a few at the local pawn shops just over 300 that look promising.
    You could get your wife a Taurus 740 Slim. It's small, light weight and easily concealable. The real bonus would be that you would both be shooting the same caliber, so you would only have to worry about loading one type of cartridge. Check www.gunbroker.com for the best deals.

Hi. Yes, I load my own pistol rounds (.40s&w), plus .30-06 for my old milsurp rifles.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk
    I wouldn't mind getting into that someday, but for the time being, I've just got a G21, and I'm not too keen on putting reloads through it. I think I might get my hands on a Springfield XD 45, sometime, and pick it up. I've always wanted to do a side by side comparison of the two, myself, anyways.

That said, back to the Sigma: It all depends on what you are comfortable with. I have a Glock 21, and small hands, yet I don't find it uncomfortable to hold, which I've heard is a complaint from a lot of people. If 10 pounds of pressure is find with you, then more power to you, I say. I looked into the Sigma's myself, and couldn't find many complaints aside from solely the trigger pull.

Quote Originally Posted by Shimmer View Post
    I wouldn't mind getting into that someday, but for the time being, I've just got a G21, and I'm not too keen on putting reloads through it. I think I might get my hands on a Springfield XD 45, sometime, and pick it up. I've always wanted to do a side by side comparison of the two, myself, anyways.
    I'm shooting reloads through my G22 with no problems. Well, okay. I'll admit it. I had a problem once, so far. I loaded a bullet but failed to drop a powder charge. I ended up with the bullet stuck in the barrel and had to pound it out. Other than that, start out on the low end of the recommended charges and don't exceed the maximum charge load from your reloading manual. It isn't rocket science!

Oh, its not the intimidation factor. Its more practicality. This is the first firearm I've purchased that I actually truly enjoy. I do have a decades old .380, but its not terribly accurate, nor do I care much for the feel or functionality of it. Still, it was gifted from the father as a starter gun, so I can't complain.

Truly, its that I want my warranty to last its duration out. Glock isn't keen on reloads, and especially not lead in its firearms.

Oh, its not the intimidation factor. Its more practicality. This is the first firearm I've purchased that I actually truly enjoy. I do have a decades old .380, but its not terribly accurate, nor do I care much for the feel or functionality of it. Still, it was gifted from the father as a starter gun, so I can't complain.

Truly, its that I want my warranty to last its duration out. Glock isn't keen on reloads, and especially not lead in its firearms.
    I've heard of a few people having issues shooting reloads through their glocks with stock barrels. Most of the aftermarket barrels handle the rounds just fine though. That being said, I also know a few people who shoot reloads through their stock barrels and haven't had any problems yet. I fired reloads through my G23 once, but I wasn't the one who reloaded them. I figure about the time your warranty runs out is when you'll really be getting interested in doing your own reloads.

That being said, I've been thinking about starting my own here within the next couple months. Anybody in the area do their own that would mind showing me the ropes? lol. I know it's not the most difficult thing in the world, but it's always best to learn from someone with first hand experience.

Had no idea there was a warranty violation for shooting reloads, how exactly would they know you were shooting reloads? I thought Glocks could handle anything, that is why I bought my G23 17 years ago, never failed me (but I did see it misfire a couple times with other shooters, wonder if it was because they were novice shooters/limp wristed?)

I've heard of a few people having issues shooting reloads through their glocks with stock barrels. Most of the aftermarket barrels handle the rounds just fine though. That being said, I also know a few people who shoot reloads through their stock barrels and haven't had any problems yet. I fired reloads through my G23 once, but I wasn't the one who reloaded them. I figure about the time your warranty runs out is when you'll really be getting interested in doing your own reloads.

That being said, I've been thinking about starting my own here within the next couple months. Anybody in the area do their own that would mind showing me the ropes? lol. I know it's not the most difficult thing in the world, but it's always best to learn from someone with first hand experience.
    I'd be happy to share what I know with you. If you can learn to follow a process and do it exactly the same way every time, you can load your own. It's really easy. I even let my little boys (7 and 4) help me with the decapping because the weight of the press handle is enough to punch out the primer and resize the .40s&w brass.

Quote Originally Posted by REDFIVE48 View Post
    wonder if it was because they were novice shooters/limp wristed?)
    I bet it was. The only time my Glock ever misfired for me was shortly after i broke my wrist. I didn't give myself enough time to heal before hitting the range again, and I just couldn't get a tight grip on it. The .40 seems to have more of a pop to it than the other calibers, even the .45, so I think it gives shooters without a proper grip a little bit more trouble.

As far as glock handling anything you throw at it. It pretty much will. There's always a few cases where things don't go ideally for somebody, and the few I've heard about were probably exactly that. I know the one time I shot reloads, I didn't have any problems. And I know my glock will shoot even after it's been dropped in water, or covered in sand. So as far as my personal glock is concerned, I trust it to always perform for me.

I'd be happy to share what I know with you. If you can learn to follow a process and do it exactly the same way every time, you can load your own. It's really easy. I even let my little boys (7 and 4) help me with the decapping because the weight of the press handle is enough to punch out the primer and resize the .40s&w brass.
    That sounds great. I'm hoping to start getting the equipment together over the next couple months. Do you use a single stage press or a progressive press where you can do multiple rounds at once? From what I've heard, it's better to start with the single.

That sounds great. I'm hoping to start getting the equipment together over the next couple months. Do you use a single stage press or a progressive press where you can do multiple rounds at once? From what I've heard, it's better to start with the single.
    My press is a Lyman T-Mag II. It is not an AP press but it does have a turret for multiple dies. That way I can set my .40S&W die set and the powder drop and then run all of my brass through each stage. For example, I run all the brass through decapping, then after running them through the tumbler I use my Lee Auto-prime to install new primers (I haven't had good luck with the Lyman primer feed tube). Last, I run each brass case one at a time through powder drop and seating the bullet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast