• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New here and in Charlotte

drew9

Hello,

I stumbled across this forum while looking for conceal carry info for the charlotte area. I am most likely going to be moving to South Carolina later this year so I thought perhaps open carry would be a feasable solution until then. Does anyone here carry in the charlotte /pineville area? I also frequent Gastonia as well. Thanks.

Drew

ArmySoldier22

Yep, there's a few of us here in the area. We even have meets atleast once a month. Welcome to OCDO, and sorry to hear about the venture south of the border coming up soon. We lost somebody up to Maryland not too long ago.. poor guy.. lol. Open Carrying has a lot of plus sides that you can't get with concealed. The major one being it's a deterrent for criminals. But I'll probably be getting my CHP sometime soon too, as I take trips down to SC for the bike rallies and such. If you're around in February, we'll be having a meet somewhere on the first Saturday. Haven't selected a location yet. We're going to try to get some carriers from SC to come up since they don't get a lot of chances to open carry.

Edit: Be sure to check out the stickied Charlotte area meet thread towards the top. That's where a lot of us hang out on here that are in this area.

Last edited:

drew9

I probably won't be moving until about the middle of the year, so I would be up for that. I just started frequenting shooters express for the range use. I was born and raised in Maryland so I'm familiar with what a hell hole that place is in regards to gun rights. I wish him luck; I wont go back for any long period lol. I was kind of worried about trying to conceal my .40 hi-point. Gueas i wont have to. Lol.

Edit: I will be watching that stickied. Thanks again.

Drew

Last edited:

drew9

Haha. It might not be pretty, but its accurate (dead on, is what my Iowa Games shooting father in law said. He scoffed when he saw it, then changed his tune)and so far i have put about 500 rounds through it, about half factory and half reloads without a single jam. Call it ugly, clunky, whatever, but At least its reliable. Oh, and Made in America. :lol:

ArmySoldier22

It isn't like a BG is going to ask what brand of gun you just shot him with! :D

Lol, you definitely wouldn't expect one too huh? :D. But then again, those BG's can be surprising. Who'd ever expect somebody that breaks into someone's home to turn around and take them to court and sue them for shooting them in self defense? But it happens in some states. That's why I believe in the saying that 1 story is better than 2 lol.

drew9

BG: ....what...did you shoot ....me with....

Me: a hi-point.

BG: ....damn...you serious? I read.....in some magazine that those guns were crap....

Sounds feasable. Lol

r1dramma

I wouldn't worry about the Hi Point, my friend bought the 9mm paid 119 bucks for it, and that was 5 yrs ago thousands of rounds through it and is still going strong. Now breaking it down for a good cleaning that's a whole other story!

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D using Xparent Blue Tapatalk

Last edited:

Large Caliber Kick

Mooresville, North Carolina, United States
Hello,

I stumbled across this forum while looking for conceal carry info for the charlotte area. I am most likely going to be moving to South Carolina later this year so I thought perhaps open carry would be a feasable solution until then. Does anyone here carry in the charlotte /pineville area? I also frequent Gastonia as well. Thanks.

Drew

Hey Drew, as ArmySoldier22 stated there are a few of us around here.

Haha. It might not be pretty, but its accurate (dead on, is what my Iowa Games shooting father in law said. He scoffed when he saw it, then changed his tune)and so far i have put about 500 rounds through it, about half factory and half reloads without a single jam. Call it ugly, clunky, whatever, but At least its reliable. Oh, and Made in America. :lol:

Don't think too much about all the grief people will give you about that Hi-Point. I carry a Smith&Wesson Sigma chambered in .40. The sigmas also catch alot of down talk about them mainly for the 10 pound trigger pull they come with. As you stated above if it cycles reliably and is accurate enough to get the job done then who cares about the rest. I'll take this oppertunity to encourage you to join us at the next meet in the southern Charlotte area on Feb 4th. Keep an eye on the Charlotte area meet&greet thread sticky'd at the top of the NC section to find out when/where. Btw if the BG is still around to ask you what kind of gun you shot him with, then you didn't get the job done right. :lol:

drew9

The meet and greet sounds like fun, depending on work schedule and time I will be there. I am not worried about the grief :) I have owned this gun going on 4 years so I am used to it :) Next week I will get a holster for it and start carrying. My wife is going to love that, lol. In the mean time I will finish versing myself in the laws. Anybody reload?

drew9

I have recently started reloading, only .40 s&w for now until i get a different gun. Im looking for something a little lighter than the hp for my wife, hopefully a non bank breaker :p I have seen a few at the local pawn shops just over 300 that look promising.

G22shooter

Campaign Veteran
I have recently started reloading, only .40 s&w for now until i get a different gun. Im looking for something a little lighter than the hp for my wife, hopefully a non bank breaker :p I have seen a few at the local pawn shops just over 300 that look promising.

You could get your wife a Taurus 740 Slim. It's small, light weight and easily concealable. The real bonus would be that you would both be shooting the same caliber, so you would only have to worry about loading one type of cartridge. Check www.gunbroker.com for the best deals.

Shimmer

Hi. Yes, I load my own pistol rounds (.40s&w), plus .30-06 for my old milsurp rifles.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

I wouldn't mind getting into that someday, but for the time being, I've just got a G21, and I'm not too keen on putting reloads through it. I think I might get my hands on a Springfield XD 45, sometime, and pick it up. I've always wanted to do a side by side comparison of the two, myself, anyways.

That said, back to the Sigma: It all depends on what you are comfortable with. I have a Glock 21, and small hands, yet I don't find it uncomfortable to hold, which I've heard is a complaint from a lot of people. If 10 pounds of pressure is find with you, then more power to you, I say. I looked into the Sigma's myself, and couldn't find many complaints aside from solely the trigger pull.

G22shooter

Campaign Veteran
I wouldn't mind getting into that someday, but for the time being, I've just got a G21, and I'm not too keen on putting reloads through it. I think I might get my hands on a Springfield XD 45, sometime, and pick it up. I've always wanted to do a side by side comparison of the two, myself, anyways.

I'm shooting reloads through my G22 with no problems. Well, okay. I'll admit it. I had a problem once, so far. I loaded a bullet but failed to drop a powder charge. I ended up with the bullet stuck in the barrel and had to pound it out. Other than that, start out on the low end of the recommended charges and don't exceed the maximum charge load from your reloading manual. It isn't rocket science!

Shimmer

Oh, its not the intimidation factor. Its more practicality. This is the first firearm I've purchased that I actually truly enjoy. I do have a decades old .380, but its not terribly accurate, nor do I care much for the feel or functionality of it. Still, it was gifted from the father as a starter gun, so I can't complain.

Truly, its that I want my warranty to last its duration out. Glock isn't keen on reloads, and especially not lead in its firearms.

ArmySoldier22

Oh, its not the intimidation factor. Its more practicality. This is the first firearm I've purchased that I actually truly enjoy. I do have a decades old .380, but its not terribly accurate, nor do I care much for the feel or functionality of it. Still, it was gifted from the father as a starter gun, so I can't complain.

Truly, its that I want my warranty to last its duration out. Glock isn't keen on reloads, and especially not lead in its firearms.

I've heard of a few people having issues shooting reloads through their glocks with stock barrels. Most of the aftermarket barrels handle the rounds just fine though. That being said, I also know a few people who shoot reloads through their stock barrels and haven't had any problems yet. I fired reloads through my G23 once, but I wasn't the one who reloaded them. I figure about the time your warranty runs out is when you'll really be getting interested in doing your own reloads.

That being said, I've been thinking about starting my own here within the next couple months. Anybody in the area do their own that would mind showing me the ropes? lol. I know it's not the most difficult thing in the world, but it's always best to learn from someone with first hand experience.