• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Spokane Meet - Donut Parade Jan14th

Jeff Hayes

Hoping you guys can fill the rest of us in who were not so fortunate to have attended.

We are planiing a trip to a Spokane city counsel meeting to talk to them about the SPD training bulletin and the unlawful park rules. We need someone that lives in Spokane to speak 1st as they have to give name and address before they speak. Fetch has talked to council people and is paving the way for us. Meeting time and day will be announced as soon as we know. We are hoping with the new mayor and mostly new city counsel we can get thngs straightened up, officers educated on the legality of OC and prevent any further problems similar to what happened with Bennie in Manitoe park.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
We are planiing a trip to a Spokane city counsel meeting to talk to them about the SPD training bulletin and the unlawful park rules. We need someone that lives in Spokane to speak 1st as they have to give name and address before they speak. Fetch has talked to council people and is paving the way for us. Meeting time and day will be announced as soon as we know. We are hoping with the new mayor and mostly new city counsel we can get thngs straightened up, officers educated on the legality of OC and prevent any further problems similar to what happened with Bennie in Manitoe park.

Why do they need to give their name and address?

When Jim and I spoke in the South Sound fire meeting I refused to give anything but my first name.

fetch

gogo, This ain't the south sound. BUT, for our own security we will only give first name and that we live in Spokane. Again, need someone that lives in Spokane to state that they live in Spokane. I feel this is important to relate to the city council. Of course, you are more then welcome to state something contrary.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Thats just what I was told, dont know if its really a requirement to speak. I plan on speaking to support the issues and will not give any more info than I need to.

I understand. The SKCFD amended their policy before we came to the meeting. They 'required' that those who wanted to speak sign up. On their sign up sheet they 'required' (requested) the full name of the citizen, and their address.

I signed up by listing only my first name and only my town. i.e. Nick, Federal Way
However, at that time, I had actually moved and was no longer in the jurisdiction of the SKCFD. Did that mean that I was inappropriate in commenting on their policy? I did not feel so, as their policy was clearly a violation of state law. (RCW 9.41.300) If their policy had only affected the local tax payer of the SKCFD base then perhaps it would of been inappropriate. However, since any state resident can visit their facilities, I was speaking for all residents and not just the limited tax base/payer.

There is no RCW that I can find that require a state resident that wishes to speak at a public and open meeting to give more information than I did. I stood my ground when the committee secretary came around and asked for my last name and my address. I politely refused. She looked to the committee for assistance and they waved her off and let me speak. They know that our public meetings act is very strong and powerful and it has been backed up by the courts on numerous occasions.

Therefore, I don't see that having someone from 'Spokane' proper is a requirement. Just list your first name 'Jeff' and your town 'Spokane'.

Jeff Hayes

I understand. The SKCFD amended their policy before we came to the meeting. They 'required' that those who wanted to speak sign up. On their sign up sheet they 'required' (requested) the full name of the citizen, and their address.

I signed up by listing only my first name and only my town. i.e. Nick, Federal Way
However, at that time, I had actually moved and was no longer in the jurisdiction of the SKCFD. Did that mean that I was inappropriate in commenting on their policy? I did not feel so, as their policy was clearly a violation of state law. (RCW 9.41.300) If their policy had only affected the local tax payer of the SKCFD base then perhaps it would of been inappropriate. However, since any state resident can visit their facilities, I was speaking for all residents and not just the limited tax base/payer.

There is no RCW that I can find that require a state resident that wishes to speak at a public and open meeting to give more information than I did. I stood my ground when the committee secretary came around and asked for my last name and my address. I politely refused. She looked to the committee for assistance and they waved her off and let me speak. They know that our public meetings act is very strong and powerful and it has been backed up by the courts on numerous occasions.

Therefore, I don't see that having someone from 'Spokane' proper is a requirement. Just list your first name 'Jeff' and your town 'Spokane'.

I look at it this way I dont live in Spokane County much less the City of Spokane. The City of Spokane is in violation of state law and there for I am free to address the problem as a citizen of the State of Washington, it matters not where I live. Thanks for the info I will hold my ground if asked to further ID myself.