• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HB 940: Purchase of handguns; eliminate limitation on handgun purchases.

ManInBlack

Good luck!

When was the law enacted? It just seems very strange to have such a Bradyish statute in such a gun-friendly state.

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
Bill drafting suggestion: HB 940 should be amended by striking the words ", except for multiple handgun transactions for which records shall be maintained for 12 months," from subsection B, subdivision 3.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I like the thought of being able to take advantage of good deals, and buy more than one. However, if I'm able to buy more than one at a time, why do I need to have a wife. :)

Somebody has to clean all those guns!:p

TFred

SB 323 PASSES Courts of Justice!

Senate version of subject bill has passed Courts of Justice, 8-6, now heads for full Senate!

TFred

http://blogs.fredericksburg.com/on-...committee-approves-repeal-of-one-gun-a-month/

Senate committee approves repeal of one-gun-a-month

Repeal of Virginia’s one-gun-a-month limit has advanced, approved by a Senate committee.
On an 8-6 vote, the Senate Courts of Justice committee voted today to send the bill to the full Senate.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
Senate version of subject bill has passed Courts of Justice, 8-6, now heads for full Senate!

TFred

http://blogs.fredericksburg.com/on-...committee-approves-repeal-of-one-gun-a-month/

Senate committee approves repeal of one-gun-a-month

Repeal of Virginia’s one-gun-a-month limit has advanced, approved by a Senate committee.
On an 8-6 vote, the Senate Courts of Justice committee voted today to send the bill to the full Senate.

Yep. Got it on video.
It's got to be revoted on this Monday. Received from VCDL President today:
All the gun bills considered in the Senate Courts of Justice last Wednesday will have to be **reheard/revoted on** again!

There is both danger and opportunity in this. A couple of bad bills got through that I would like to try killing again. And, of course, the pro-gun bills could be put in jeopardy.

Senator Mark Obenshain sent this alert out:

"An inadvertent breach of Senate Rules basically nullified everything the
Courts of Justice Committee took up in a six hour marathon meeting on
Wednesday, and we're still trying to sort out the carnage. The bills have to be
taken up again, and some hard-fought victories will be revisited.
One of those now-jeopardized victories dealt with repealing Virginia's
constitutionally suspect "one gun a month" law, which interferes with the
right of law-abiding citizens to purchase firearms. I certainly hope that, when
we take the bill up again, we'll get another favorable committee vote -
but I'd certainly rather not be doing this all over again. Plenty of people
are upset right now, and understandably so. But that's life in the Senate of
Virginia: never a dull moment."

I will keep everyone posted as this mess works its way through the systems. This is the first time I've seen this happen.

How many times did Saslaw violate the rules last year?

TFred

Reviewing the list of bills signed by the Governor, I came across the fact that he signed both SB 323 and HB 940. The bills were signed on two different days, and given two different Acts of Assembly Chapter numbers.

The bills are literally identical. So we appear to have two laws on the books* that do the exact same thing.

What's the point in doing this?

TFred

*The two laws make identical changes to one section of code, 18.2-308, not that we have two identical sections of code now.

Last edited: