Thread: Can I carry a long gun and a side arm at the same time?

Can I carry a long gun and a side arm at the same time?

I have searched a few different sites and looked up laws but wanted to double check... Would it be legal for me to carry a long gun and a side arm at the same time? I only ask because I believe this issue was discussed a while back but I can't locate the thread.
    Thanks,
    Me

Accomplished Advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by tazxrulz View Post
    I have searched a few different sites and looked up laws but wanted to double check... Would it be legal for me to carry a long gun and a side arm at the same time? I only ask because I believe this issue was discussed a while back but I can't locate the thread.
    Thanks,
    Me
    Yes, although we do not condone long gun carry here.

You must also consider where and when? There are title 12 issues that may get you a summons whereas open or concealed carry of a handgun would not.
    Last edited by Maine CWP Training; 01-12-2012 at 11:46 AM.
    Paul J. Mattson
    NRA Certified Instructor / RSO
    Maine CWP Training
    101 Main St.
    Harrison, ME 04040

www.mainecwptraining.com

(207) 583-4723
    CELL 232-7063

OC Long Gun

Quote Originally Posted by shanebelanger View Post
    Yes, although we do not condone long gun carry here.
    I do not see any legal complications with the OC of both long guns and a sidearm.

HOWEVER, I also would like to make it plainly clear that whether Open Carrying either longs gun or sidearms, you are displaying something which is offensive to some people, and will invoke a response of some variety. Bringing awareness to the rights of it citizens is an American Duty, and should be taken seriously.

You know as well as I do, that if you OC an AR and have an H&K to accessorize, you are going to get stopped. It will at that point completely be at the discretion of the officer as to what happens from there...

-ME + Keller

Accomplished Advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by Maine CWP Training View Post
    You must also consider where and when? There are title 12 issues that may get you a summons whereas open or concealed carry of a handgun would not.
    elaborate and cite please.

In the woods or game preserve with a long rifle out of hunting season will cause you real issues. Numerous title 12 issues.
    Paul J. Mattson
    NRA Certified Instructor / RSO
    Maine CWP Training
    101 Main St.
    Harrison, ME 04040

www.mainecwptraining.com

(207) 583-4723
    CELL 232-7063

Quote Originally Posted by shanebelanger View Post
    elaborate and cite please.
    Title 12 is the hunting and conservation title. It has several statutes relating to an assumption that your'e hunting if you're in a game preserve with a loaded long gun. However there is an exemption for Target practice

Accomplished Advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout399 View Post
    Title 12 is the hunting and conservation title. It has several statutes relating to an assumption that your'e hunting if you're in a game preserve with a loaded long gun. However there is an exemption for Target practice
    Yeah, Pauls response was very vague, I just wanted him to explain that it had to do with preserves/hunting not everyday carry which the OP was talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by inkedcook View Post
    I do not see any legal complications with the OC of both long guns and a sidearm.

HOWEVER, I also would like to make it plainly clear that whether Open Carrying either longs gun or sidearms, you are displaying something which is offensive to some people, and will invoke a response of some variety. Bringing awareness to the rights of it citizens is an American Duty, and should be taken seriously.

You know as well as I do, that if you OC an AR and have an H&K to accessorize, you are going to get stopped. It will at that point completely be at the discretion of the officer as to what happens from there...

-ME + Keller
    I think this is what he meant.
    14) LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC: This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. We do NOT promote the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the members of this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control, lack of trigger guard coverage, and the fact that the long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life, we will leave long gun carry activism in the capable hands of the future founders of web sites about long gun carry. Exception: This rule does NOT apply to discussions about long gun carry in jurisdictions such as California which ban handgun carry and thus require long gun carry as a matter of public policy.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436