• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can I carry a long gun and a side arm at the same time?

tazxrulz

I have searched a few different sites and looked up laws but wanted to double check... Would it be legal for me to carry a long gun and a side arm at the same time? I only ask because I believe this issue was discussed a while back but I can't locate the thread.
Thanks,
Me

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
I have searched a few different sites and looked up laws but wanted to double check... Would it be legal for me to carry a long gun and a side arm at the same time? I only ask because I believe this issue was discussed a while back but I can't locate the thread.
Thanks,
Me

Yes, although we do not condone long gun carry here.

Maine CWP Training

You must also consider where and when? There are title 12 issues that may get you a summons whereas open or concealed carry of a handgun would not.

Last edited:

inkedcook

OC Long Gun

Yes, although we do not condone long gun carry here.

I do not see any legal complications with the OC of both long guns and a sidearm.

HOWEVER, I also would like to make it plainly clear that whether Open Carrying either longs gun or sidearms, you are displaying something which is offensive to some people, and will invoke a response of some variety. Bringing awareness to the rights of it citizens is an American Duty, and should be taken seriously.

You know as well as I do, that if you OC an AR and have an H&K to accessorize, you are going to get stopped. It will at that point completely be at the discretion of the officer as to what happens from there...

-ME + Keller

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
Title 12 is the hunting and conservation title. It has several statutes relating to an assumption that your'e hunting if you're in a game preserve with a loaded long gun. However there is an exemption for Target practice

Yeah, Pauls response was very vague, I just wanted him to explain that it had to do with preserves/hunting not everyday carry which the OP was talking about.

xmanhockey7

I do not see any legal complications with the OC of both long guns and a sidearm.

HOWEVER, I also would like to make it plainly clear that whether Open Carrying either longs gun or sidearms, you are displaying something which is offensive to some people, and will invoke a response of some variety. Bringing awareness to the rights of it citizens is an American Duty, and should be taken seriously.

You know as well as I do, that if you OC an AR and have an H&K to accessorize, you are going to get stopped. It will at that point completely be at the discretion of the officer as to what happens from there...

-ME + Keller

I think this is what he meant.
14) LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC: This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. We do NOT promote the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the members of this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control, lack of trigger guard coverage, and the fact that the long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life, we will leave long gun carry activism in the capable hands of the future founders of web sites about long gun carry. Exception: This rule does NOT apply to discussions about long gun carry in jurisdictions such as California which ban handgun carry and thus require long gun carry as a matter of public policy.