• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Now that it is confirmed that we are being watched...

rscottie

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/tech...onitoring-drudge-report-new-york-times/47300/

When I first read the story above, I was very outraged and a bit worried.

Then I thought about it and figured, well, if I am on a "List", and standing up for Rights and speaking my mind got me put on a list, then so be it.

I have done nothing illegal and I am not worried. I will continue to speak my mind and vote my conscious.

What do y'all think? Anyone worried?

Hang on, brb, there's two guys in suits at my door....

Jack House

Being on a watch list is largely harmless. It's why the list exists and what they plan on doing with it that is the concern.

decklin

Off the top of my head this would be the second list for me. I'm already on a Terrorist Watch List for being a Veteran.

PistolPackingMomma

Isn't it great to know our tax dollars go to a DHS agent playing Farmville? :rolleyes:

Seriously though, even though this isn't surprising, it is still maddening. Monitoring us for our own protection....:cuss:

Beretta92FSLady

"collect information used in providing situational awareness and establishing a common operating picture."

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/tech...onitoring-drudge-report-new-york-times/47300/

Basically, they are using an algorithmic program to to sift through provided situational awareness (Facebook posts, OC posts, stuff we willfully post, and provide for consumption on the internet, a public domain!), and constructing a model of relationships amongst individuals, and the groups they interact with.

I am sure they are also developing probability models that lead them into focusing on specific individuals, and groups of individuals who interact on the internet.

Much of this stuff they are engaged in is derived from pages such as Facebook who use algorithm programs to link all of its users to one another. This is nothing more than a Government Facebook, except, unlike Facebook where you have to sign up, you are 'discovered' and made a member.

This type of data mining is going to become more sophisticated, and there will be complex models formed for all of us. It's pretty damn freaky if you think about it, that there is a Government agency out there doing this, and that they likely know about you more than you know about yourself, and the individuals you associate with. What is more disturbing than the acts of the Government is that we know it is happening, and we continue putting our lives on the internet. As I stated, this thing is only going to grow.

Freedom First

...Hang on, brb, there's two guys in suits at my door....

Enjoy your Cuban vacation.

"My administration will not authorize the indefinite military detention without trial of American citizens … Indeed, I believe that doing so would break with our most important traditions and values as a nation,” President Obama in his signing statement for NDAA 2012.

Yep. I feel so much better.

Daylen

It is not likely that there is much effort done to figure out what individuals are doing on the internet in general. Government types think of people as groups not individuals, so they want to know what the group is doing.