• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need help deciding which gun to get FNX-9 or PK380?

JesterP99

So, I know they are completely different guns and comparing them is like apples and oranges but I need some outside opinion on which one to get.

On one side is a Walther Pk380, just the gun with one mag -$275
I like the Walther, I love my dad's P99, but I am not sure it is really worth having for an OC/home defense weapon.

The other side... FNH FNX-9mm, case plus three hicap mags, -$475
I love this gun, I mean, I would just buy it in a heart beat, but the price is the problem, not that it isn't a good price for a used FNX but I can't justify spending that much on a gun at this time. Do you think I could get him to drop the price to 400-425?

I have to make up my mind by Friday because that is when the guy with the FNX is moving out of the state. What kind of tactics could I use to get him to lower the price?

Thanks.

Jester

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I would recommend going with the FNX-9. You will be getting a better defensive gun. I am currently carrying the FNP-40 and it is an awesome gun. Lots of rounds through it and no problems. $475 is a fair price but I'm willing to bet you could knock him down a bit.

JesterP99

I would recommend going with the FNX-9. You will be getting a better defensive gun. I am currently carrying the FNP-40 and it is an awesome gun. Lots of rounds through it and no problems. $475 is a fair price but I'm willing to bet you could knock him down a bit.

See, I agree, it would be a better investment all around. The problem is that tomorrow is my last day as a full-time employee because I am starting school and I just don't know if I can really justify spending that much money. I mean, I could spend 275 for the walther, but I don't really feel its a good buy.

I just talked to the guy, He says that he won't sell it for anything less than 475... He has another buyer lined up. Should I bite the bullet and get it, or just go with the Walther?

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
It depends on your financial situation. If it was me I would bite the bullet. See if the guy will take a down payment and the rest later. In the end, it is better to spend the money on a gun you want rather than settling on one that might not be the right choice. The Walther is certainly not a bad gun, but if it's not the one you want then it's not worth it.

Last edited:

JesterP99

It depends on your financial situation. If it was me I would bite the bullet. See if the guy will take a down payment and the rest later. In the end, it is better to spend the money on a gun you want rather than settling on one that might not be the right choice. The Walther is certainly not a bad gun, but if it's not the one you want then it's not worth it.

How would a down payment work? Can you give me a scenario? How would he know I was good for it?

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
How would a down payment work? Can you give me a scenario? How would he know I was good for it?

I would recommend using a bill of sale. This is a good one written by one of the forum members, User, who is an attorney.

http://virginialegaldefense.com/Stuff/Documents/PvtHandgunTransferBOS.PDF

For purchase price you could put something like:

$275.00 due immediately
$200.00 due (whatever date you work out)

You get a copy, he gets a copy and you're good to go. A bill of sale is not necessary to complete a face-to-face transaction but I certainly recommend it as it protects both parties.

Last edited:

JesterP99

I would recommend using a bill of sale. This is a good one written by one of the forum members, User, who is an attorney.

http://virginialegaldefense.com/Stuff/Documents/PvtHandgunTransferBOS.PDF

For purchase price you could put something like:

$275.00 due immediately
$200.00 due (whatever date you work out)

You get a copy, he gets a copy and you're good to go. A bill of sale is not necessary to complete a face-to-face transaction but I certainly recommend it as it protects both parties.

How would he guarantee that he will get the rest of the money? That isn't talked about in that Bill of sale (really good though, I am going to use that tomorrow).

BTW, thank you so much for your help, this might actually work.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Not really sure on that one but if he has all your information he's going to be more likely to deal.

Last edited:

tim12232

Whats the saying? Buy once cry once? or Pay once cry once?

Either way, I would go with the FNX-9...
9mm is generally cheaper than a .380 for ammo cost, you will want to be familiar with your weapon before you start to OC or use it in a defense situation. Plus 9mm with a solid defense round like Federal HST or Winchester Ranger T it will have a better chance of ending a bad situation sooner.
I would, "if you could" go in with 450 cash and see if he will take 400 cash money! if that doesnt work, go to 425 cash money! I was able to get a couple hundred off my new SIG p229 by bringing in cash.

Good Luck! and post picks of whatever you get!

Tim

JesterP99

Whats the saying? Buy once cry once? or Pay once cry once?

Either way, I would go with the FNX-9...
9mm is generally cheaper than a .380 for ammo cost, you will want to be familiar with your weapon before you start to OC or use it in a defense situation. Plus 9mm with a solid defense round like Federal HST or Winchester Ranger T it will have a better chance of ending a bad situation sooner.
I would, "if you could" go in with 450 cash and see if he will take 400 cash money! if that doesnt work, go to 425 cash money! I was able to get a couple hundred off my new SIG p229 by bringing in cash.

Good Luck! and post picks of whatever you get!

Tim

Hey won't take anything less than 475, he would rather keep it. I mean, unless I find something wrong with it.

09jisaac

Probably too late now but I do think that the FN would be well worth it. The .380 is mostly for a conceal gun/recoil sensitive weapon/etc.

JesterP99

Just got home from Richmond. I bought the FNX-9 and I love it. Can't wait to shoot it on Saturday. I picked up a Blackhawk Serpa CQC holster for the XD45 and it fits pretty well. I am going to work on making it fit a little better tomorrow. This should be a nice OC weapon and a fun gun to shoot.

Here is a picture I took of it today.

FNX-9.jpg

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Just got home from Richmond. I bought the FNX-9 and I love it. Can't wait to shoot it on Saturday. I picked up a Blackhawk Serpa CQC holster for the XD45 and it fits pretty well. I am going to work on making it fit a little better tomorrow. This should be a nice OC weapon and a fun gun to shoot.

Here is a picture I took of it today.

FNX-9.jpg

Congrats. Sounds like a good deal. I would recommend finding a holster specfically made for the gun rather than modifying one to fit. There are plenty of good choices out there. Good luck.

JesterP99

Congrats. Sounds like a good deal. I would recommend finding a holster specfically made for the gun rather than modifying one to fit. There are plenty of good choices out there. Good luck.

The gun fits perfectly in the serpa holster. just a little wiggle. I used some velcro on the inside to fix that. Perfect fit now.

REALteach4u

Shame on you Jester. We need a full report with range and carry details!

Congrats on the purchase. I've held off buying the FNP9 because I didn't like the feel at the shop, even with the Instructor pricing I didn't like it. Now the FNX I'd be willing to give a go for the same price.

JesterP99

Well, I don't have a video review yet, but I do have a video. This is the [horrible] video I made in regards to the holster that I bought.

I really do like the Blackhawk style of retention and I don't know why you can't find too many holsters for this amazing gun.

[video=youtube;D_ww79mu01o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_ww79mu01o&feature=g-upl&context=G2dc1562AUAAAAAAAAAA[/video]

Last edited: