Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Emily Miller compares buying a gun in Virginia to DC

Emily Miller compares buying a gun in Virginia to DC

Maybe one day she'll figure out she should live in Virginia instead of DC...

TFred

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/...-gun-virginia/

Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post

TFred

I wonder if the federal concealed reciprocity law were to pass into law if it would apply to DC?
    When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force.

excerpt By Marko Kloos (http://munchkinwrangler.wordpress.com/?s=major+caudill)

TFred

+1. Despite what the Southern folks think, even NOVA would be better than DC.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    Well....if DC folks just have to come south...NOVA's the place for em!

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    NOVA is Southern as is DC, though with that one you'd never know it.
    Last edited by SouthernBoy; 01-12-2012 at 01:23 PM.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

NOVA might not be South but at least we are free

Sent using Tapatalk
    =============================
    NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
    Teaching classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
    PM me if you need a class, RSO or safety briefing

Quote Originally Posted by Steeler-gal View Post

Sent using Tapatalk
    Not the last time I looked at the State Budget!

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Not the last time I looked at the State Budget!
    We have paved roads up here...costs a little bit more

We have paved roads up here...costs a little bit more
    They're harder on you when you fall off (Too much shine)

Sent using Tapatalk
    NoVA might not be the heart of Dixie, but it's still the start of Dixie. As long as some of us remain as holdouts, I'm going to keep counting it as part of the South.

Yeah, some of us are up here holding the line so it doesn't flow down your way.

The thing is, the first southern state, the Free state, ain't so dang free. But at least it's dixie....LOL..You'd never know it west of the Chesapeake though..
    The Second Amendment is in place
    in case the politicians ignore the others

A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone

Quote Originally Posted by nuc65 View Post
    I wonder if the federal concealed reciprocity law were to pass into law if it would apply to DC?
    It will not as DC does not issue concealed carry permits.
    "Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again"

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    It will not as DC does not issue concealed carry permits.
    So, you can't CC and according to the maps page, you can't OC. What's the point then?

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy View Post
    NOVA is Southern as is DC, though with that one you'd never know it.
    Moseby and his Raiders certainly considered NOVA "Home"...
    His "antics" happened all around where I used to live.
    His most famous "kidnapping" was right there in "Center City" Fairfax near the old courthouse.
    I hope the historical markers are still there.
    :-D
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

Quote Originally Posted by MSC 45ACP View Post
    His most famous "kidnapping" was right there in "Center City" Fairfax near the old courthouse.
    Col. John Singleton Mosby is one of my childhood heroes. There use to be a TV show called, "The Grey Ghost" that I watched religiously when I was a kid in the 50's. He operated all around the area where I live. In fact, this whole area is deemed the Mosby Heritage area. I have visited his grave site several times as it is only about 14-15 miles from my home. And his house in Warrenton still stands and is a museum now. Two weeks before he died, he was in the hospital in which I was born.

Mosby never surrendered his sword though most curious, he and Grant became fast friends after the war.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

Quote Originally Posted by VApatriot View Post
    NoVA might not be the heart of Dixie, but it's still the start of Dixie. As long as some of us remain as holdouts, I'm going to keep counting it as part of the South.
    I have heard people make stupid comments to the effect that Virginia is not a Southern state. Guess they never studied geography or history in grade school. I am a native and proud of my Southern heritage. Though NOVA has been inundated with people from other parts of the country and the world, for folks like me it will always be Southern.

However, I am not so naive to believe that the demographics and ideological mindset of so many of the people who live here are Southern based. A shame because so much of this area has been turned into an urbanized extra-DC... that is the area inside and close to the beltway. Which is why I don't live there.

America First!

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy View Post
    I have heard people make stupid comments to the effect that Virginia is not a Southern state. Guess they never studied geography or history in grade school. I am a native and proud of my Southern heritage. Though NOVA has been inundated with people from other parts of the country and the world, for folks like me it will always be Southern.

However, I am not so naive to believe that the demographics and ideological mindset of so many of the people who live here are Southern based. A shame because so much of this area has been turned into an urbanized extra-DC... that is the area inside and close to the beltway. Which is why I don't live there.

What you said! +1,000

The same can be said of NC. The only saving grace for me is I'm on the Va/NC line and the spoilers can't get a foothold there...No Starbucks or Walmart within 50 miles.

It's funny in a way, Leo229 is from NC but he, Novacop and Nitrovic have done more in a couple short years to make me dislike NOVA than everyone else in NOVA has done in 50 odd years.
    Last edited by peter nap; 01-13-2012 at 12:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MSC 45ACP View Post
    Indeed:

http://www.dhr.virginia.gov/hiway_ma...r.cfm?mid=4125

TFred

So, you can't CC and according to the maps page, you can't OC. What's the point then?
    I'm not really sure what you mean by this... it is true that ordinary citizens cannot carry a handgun in any form in DC.

The point of Miss Miller's article is to document just how exceedingly difficult it is to legally purchase a handgun just to keep in your home. Being able to carry it about your person within the District of Columbia is a whole other battle altogether, which as far as I know, is not yet in the courts.

TFred

NOVA is fine if one hangs out with y'all. The trick is to find shooters and avoid the proles.
    Does anyone here actually believe that the Founders were sitting around in John Adams' tavern UNARMED because they believed a bar should be a gun free zone?

Quote Originally Posted by 230therapy View Post
    NOVA is fine if one hangs out with y'all. The trick is to find shooters and avoid the proles.
    That's right! If you have to venture up this way, I'll volunteer to guide you past the quicksand.

I'm not really sure what you mean by this... it is true that ordinary citizens cannot carry a handgun in any form in DC.

The point of Miss Miller's article is to document just how exceedingly difficult it is to legally purchase a handgun just to keep in your home.
    I was being facetious. It seems so pointless to have one and not be permitted to carry at all. I'm not saying its useless just a shame.

Sent using Tapatalk
    =============================
    NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
    Teaching classes in Lorton VA & Springfield VA
    PM me if you need a class, RSO or safety briefing

I was being facetious. It seems so pointless to have one and not be permitted to carry at all. I'm not saying its useless just a shame.
    Ah.. sorry I didn't get it. As bad as it is now, remember they could not even legally keep a gun in their home until Heller. Of course the ridiculous hoops that they have to go through even for that is what she is documenting in her series of articles.

TFred

Ah.. sorry I didn't get it. As bad as it is now, remember they could not even legally keep a gun in their home until Heller. Of course the ridiculous hoops that they have to go through even for that is what she is documenting in her series of articles.

TFred
    Yeah, I guess sarcasm is hard to detect in text.
    With as hard as it is, its not surprising that there are illegal gun owners in the District.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast