• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Emily Miller compares buying a gun in Virginia to DC

MSC 45ACP

NOVA is Southern as is DC, though with that one you'd never know it.

Moseby and his Raiders certainly considered NOVA "Home"...
His "antics" happened all around where I used to live.
His most famous "kidnapping" was right there in "Center City" Fairfax near the old courthouse.
I hope the historical markers are still there.
:-D

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Moseby and his Raiders certainly considered NOVA "Home"...
His "antics" happened all around where I used to live.
His most famous "kidnapping" was right there in "Center City" Fairfax near the old courthouse.
I hope the historical markers are still there.
:-D

Col. John Singleton Mosby is one of my childhood heroes. There use to be a TV show called, "The Grey Ghost" that I watched religiously when I was a kid in the 50's. He operated all around the area where I live. In fact, this whole area is deemed the Mosby Heritage area. I have visited his grave site several times as it is only about 14-15 miles from my home. And his house in Warrenton still stands and is a museum now. Two weeks before he died, he was in the hospital in which I was born.

Mosby never surrendered his sword though most curious, he and Grant became fast friends after the war.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
NoVA might not be the heart of Dixie, but it's still the start of Dixie. As long as some of us remain as holdouts, I'm going to keep counting it as part of the South.

I have heard people make stupid comments to the effect that Virginia is not a Southern state. Guess they never studied geography or history in grade school. I am a native and proud of my Southern heritage. Though NOVA has been inundated with people from other parts of the country and the world, for folks like me it will always be Southern.

However, I am not so naive to believe that the demographics and ideological mindset of so many of the people who live here are Southern based. A shame because so much of this area has been turned into an urbanized extra-DC... that is the area inside and close to the beltway. Which is why I don't live there.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I have heard people make stupid comments to the effect that Virginia is not a Southern state. Guess they never studied geography or history in grade school. I am a native and proud of my Southern heritage. Though NOVA has been inundated with people from other parts of the country and the world, for folks like me it will always be Southern.

However, I am not so naive to believe that the demographics and ideological mindset of so many of the people who live here are Southern based. A shame because so much of this area has been turned into an urbanized extra-DC... that is the area inside and close to the beltway. Which is why I don't live there.

What you said! +1,000

The same can be said of NC. The only saving grace for me is I'm on the Va/NC line and the spoilers can't get a foothold there...No Starbucks or Walmart within 50 miles.

It's funny in a way, Leo229 is from NC but he, Novacop and Nitrovic have done more in a couple short years to make me dislike NOVA than everyone else in NOVA has done in 50 odd years.

Last edited:

TFred

So, you can't CC and according to the maps page, you can't OC. What's the point then?
:banghead:
I'm not really sure what you mean by this... it is true that ordinary citizens cannot carry a handgun in any form in DC.

The point of Miss Miller's article is to document just how exceedingly difficult it is to legally purchase a handgun just to keep in your home. Being able to carry it about your person within the District of Columbia is a whole other battle altogether, which as far as I know, is not yet in the courts.

TFred