• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Emily Miller compares buying a gun in Virginia to DC

Steeler-gal

I'm not really sure what you mean by this... it is true that ordinary citizens cannot carry a handgun in any form in DC.

The point of Miss Miller's article is to document just how exceedingly difficult it is to legally purchase a handgun just to keep in your home.

I was being facetious. It seems so pointless to have one and not be permitted to carry at all. I'm not saying its useless just a shame.

Sent using Tapatalk

TFred

I was being facetious. It seems so pointless to have one and not be permitted to carry at all. I'm not saying its useless just a shame.
Ah.. sorry I didn't get it. As bad as it is now, remember they could not even legally keep a gun in their home until Heller. Of course the ridiculous hoops that they have to go through even for that is what she is documenting in her series of articles.

TFred

Steeler-gal

Ah.. sorry I didn't get it. As bad as it is now, remember they could not even legally keep a gun in their home until Heller. Of course the ridiculous hoops that they have to go through even for that is what she is documenting in her series of articles.

TFred

Yeah, I guess sarcasm is hard to detect in text.
With as hard as it is, its not surprising that there are illegal gun owners in the District.

mk4

sig p229! smart choice!
yeah, i know... i'm a sig fanboy. ;-)

Dreamer

It would have been easier (and cheaper) to move to VA. You can rent a 15ft Ryder truck for a weekend for less than it costs to register a gun in DC.

I'm glad Emily finally got her Sig, but I think that any rational, law-abiding citizen who is currently living in DC who wants to legally own a gun should just rent a truck and move to VA. The process is MUCH easier, VA allows OC without a permit and CC permits are shall-issue.

Hopefully when Emily comes to VA to shoot at a range, she will OC her new Sig in a fancy holster for everyone to see!

jwinkeler

This is why I'm glad I live in VA even if it is NOVA, and im looking forward to college(come august) in lexington VA. +1 on the truck idea what she paid in fees could have paid for about half the pistol.

TFred

As with many forms of government, especially the more liberal ones, little things like rules and laws are nothing more than pesky little annoyances that are simply ignored or "Good ole boy'ed" away.

TFred

TFred

Why doesn't Emily leave DC?
While that's obviously an answer that only each individual person can answer, she has briefly mentioned in her series of articles that she has no desire to move out of DC. I suppose for no other reason, it allows her to live very close to work, and avoid driving to a large extent.

The practical information we can all take from these fact is that Emily, like what is probably the very vast majority of the general population, probably believes that gun rights are important, obviously in her case, important enough to write a whole series of articles about, and even take some personal action by getting involved in the DC City Council process, but in the overall picture, they (gun rights) are just one part of life, that must take their proper place in a large structure of complex priorities.

While some of us would not set foot in DC, much less live there, due to their lack of civil rights for gun owners, many others find that the benefits DC has to offer outweigh those drawbacks.

Part of our purpose as gun rights proponents is to educate the people on these issues. We will never make gun rights the most important issue for all people, and I am sure that even for most of "us" it is not that. But every step we take to bump the issue up the ladder of priorities for each individual we encounter... that's a small "win". Taken together, all those "small wins" add up to a big difference.

[/RAMBLE MODE]

TFred

Bob1

I invited Emily to speak at a VCDL meeting in NoVA, but no response yet.

Hope I'm in town for that one if she accepts.

Ask her to speak at the 2013 Lobby Day as well. I'm sure one of us up here in the northern country would be more than happy to provide her transport to Richmond...even if it means disarming for the day to go in the District to pick her up/take her back.