Thread: Video discussing right to not show ID

Video discussing right to not show ID

"No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

This video is brief and summarizes how I feel about stop & ID. Thanks!
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Banned
    Thanks. Subscribed.

Nice and simple thanks

No problem. A liberal friend of mine posted it on fb. I think you guys might be interested to read the comments that were posted to it.....

My friend posted this when he posted the video "Man, what a mess it is that the constitution can be ignored in such a way. And people trash the ACLU for trying to defend citizens from this sort of abuse."

First comment was from one of his friends who I don't know. I'll call him random guy (RG)

RG: If you're not doing anything wrong why should you care.

Friend: -pokerface-

Me: RG I am saddened to see such a comment. If you do not exercise a right you will lose it. I cannot watch this video right now, but I will later.

RG: Show up in my hood and tell a cop "No I'm not showing my I'd." Hell your id would end up on your big toe.

Friend: True enough. If you have nothing to hide, then why are you worried? Good point.

Me:If an officer asks for ID with no reasonable suscipion of a crime it is my right to not provide ID and not have to stop and talk to the officer. If he chooses to arrest me for not providing ID he's making an illegal arrest.

Friend: No witnesses, no crime. They'll bounce your skull off the curb and fire you into the car, claim resisting arrest and you'd be lucky to walk out of court with less than a felony. That's how GP rolls.

Friend: and that's only because you are a blonde kid, if you were 'muddier', you'd have that tag on your toe.
    NOTE: My friend is not an LEO, RG I am not sure about.

Me:This isn't a bad video. However the police must have reasonable suspicion of a crime to detain you and require you to ID yourself. A lot of this stuff happens to those in the open carry community. Some willfully give their ID. Others will ask if they are free to go. If they say no they ask for suspicion of what crime they're being detained. And "you have a gun" is not a reason to stop someone. Of the officer detains them they normally will say they are going to exercise their right to remain silent and don't consent to any searches.
    At this point if the police are detaining them for no other reason besides openly carrying a pistol they are illegally detaining the person.

Friend: Well I am glad that they are openly detaining people who are carrying a weapon openly. If someone is walking around brandishing a weapon, the police should bounce them.

Me: Now that word has been getting out that open carry is legal in Michigan we are seeing much less of it. And openly carrying a pistol in a holster is not brandishing and a perfectly legal activity in Michigan and most other states.

Friend: Just like videotaping the police is legal, it doesn't mean the police will not try to injure you and arrest you.

RG: You tell a cop down here no to an I.D. check by me and you are getting a beatdown. The very least. But I believe its a moot point in Mich. anyways. Doesn't the Patriot act give rights to search at anytime within so many miles of an international border?
    *RG's comment above and my next one were posted at almost the same exactly time so my comment was in response to my friends not RG*

Me:True but they would be opening themselves up to a very serious lawsuit. And like I said OC in MI is becoming well known by law enforcement especially by MSP

Me: Are you a LEO RG? If so with which dept?

And that's the end of it. I hope RG is not an LEO because of the way he talks about beating someone who does not provide ID.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

Campaign Veteran Glock9mmOldStyle's Avatar

Lightbulb Mom I'm hungry!

Quote Originally Posted by xmanhockey7 View Post
    And that's the end of it. I hope RG is not an LEO because of the way he talks about beating someone who does not provide ID.
    More like he is one of the MILLIONS of keyboard Commando's that infest the internet like lice leaching off the host (usually a valid and thoughtful idea, conversation, or thread etc...)

Like in this movie example most are living in Mommy's basement waiting for her to finish making them their heart shaped PB&J sandwiches with the crusts cut off Just saying.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtzOhJ3mR8U
    “A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison.

“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.” “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.” George Washington

Nice video. Posted it on my facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSzerdi View Post
    Nice video. Posted it on my facebook.
    i have the whole cd, will be bring copies of it to the seminar in taylor on the 25th of January
    It geared toward younger people, but the information once you get past the hip-hop music and the street jargon is right on target
    Last edited by Onnie; 01-15-2012 at 11:19 AM.
    When Guns are OUTLAWED, Ill be an OUTLAW
    American Tactical Imports C45 45 AP
    S&W sigma 40 Cal
    Bersa 380 Thunder Plus
    Hi point C9 9mm
    Chiappa 1911-22 Semi-Auto .22 LR

Im not a lawyer, but I did play a Klingon once at Universal Studios

Quote Originally Posted by Onnie View Post
    i have the whole cd, will be bring copies of it to the seminar in taylor on the 25th of January
    It geared toward younger people, but the information once you get past the hip-hop music and the street jargon is right on target

Hey, it would be really awesome to *ahem "borrow" that DVD from you... I wouldn't want a copy because that would be illegal *cough... but I would "borrow" it from you even if it was on a disc marked Memorex...
    When you put the gun in the holster, put the ego in the gun safe.

Quote Originally Posted by HKcarrier View Post
    Hey, it would be really awesome to *ahem "borrow" that DVD from you... I wouldn't want a copy because that would be illegal *cough... but I would "borrow" it from you even if it was on a disc marked Memorex...
    Cough....cough....its legal
    the owners of the video gives permission to share it as long as its not **SOLD***

UR MORE THAN WELCOME to a LEGAL copy of it!

pm me
    When Guns are OUTLAWED, Ill be an OUTLAW
    American Tactical Imports C45 45 AP
    S&W sigma 40 Cal
    Bersa 380 Thunder Plus
    Hi point C9 9mm
    Chiappa 1911-22 Semi-Auto .22 LR

Im not a lawyer, but I did play a Klingon once at Universal Studios

How in da hell am I supposed to show Officer Friendly something that I'm not carrying?
    For the last 3.5 years my wallet has had cash, a library card (no longer needed thanks to ebooks), my ATM card and the business card of my local police precinct Captain.
    My driver's license stays in the car because that way I can never leave the house without it. Anywhere I go that I might need my driver's license I'll gaurentee I've driven to. All my "ID" stays in the car unless I'm cashing a check, buying once a year bottle of amaretto, or flying on a plane.